Wiki Posts
Search

Venice to Tuscany

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Amex Plat
Florence and the Riviera

EDITED due to change in desired itinerary...

Mrs. dkauf and I wish to celebrate our 10yr wedding anniversary in Italy next spring. We are shooting for the second half of April, for 7-8 nights total in Italy. I've never been to Italy and really want to spend several days in Florence sightseeing and day tripping to wineries in other Tuscan villages.

My wife has always wanted to see the Italian Riviera and/or the Amalfi Coast. Since we know we will be in Florence for sure, I've decided on the Cinque Terre/Portofino region and our second destination.

A couple questions...

I assume reaching the CT area by train is the preferred method? How far of a drive would it be if I hired a driver instead?

I understand that the Italian Riviera and the Amalfi Coast are two different parts of the country altogether, but which city(ies) in and around Portofino/CT give the same look and feel as say Positano?

For travel back to the US, am I better off going back to Florence (see question #1 above) or are there options leaving from Genoa?

I much appreciate the feedback thus far and feel as though this revised itinerary will provide exactly what we are looking for. Thanks

Last edited by dkauf; Apr 24, 2016 at 1:18 pm
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:37 pm

Well, first of all you should get a map of Italy (Google Earth will also do) and think this whole thing over.

a) Siena (as in "said village") is a city of more than 50K. Being up on a steep hill, it has fewer roads than Florence and, in addition, you are not allowed to drive in it!

b) You can't drive from Florence or Siena to Tuscany and back as both cities are located in Tuscany. It's like wanting to go from LA to California and back.

If I were you I'd take a train from Venice to either city (will be much faster to Florence) and use local buses/trains to visit whatever place you want in Tuscany. Since you want to visit both Florence and Siena (and you are absolutely right in wanting to do this) I would take the decision on which one of the two to use as a base on whether you want that to be a large city (population of Florence, capital of Tuscany, is about 400K) which offers more possibilities for logistics. Depending on the time of year you're going there (e.g. high summer), be prepared to find many hotels having no vacancies: Tuscany will be packed with billions of people who firmly believe that once you live this region, Italy is no longer beautiful. Keep in mind that you could also spend a few days in Umbria or Marche (both regions neighbouring Tuscany on the East side) without missing amazingly beautiful areas. But, then, you would need to have a rental car.

Enjoy your vacation.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by dkauf
I am planning a trip to Italy next year. We'd like to start in Venice, move on to a few nights in the Tuscan countryside, and finish in Florence.

I'm trying to figure out the best logistics for travel between Venice and Tuscany. Keep in mind, I want as little to do with driving in Florence as possible.

Option 1) - Train from Venice direct to Siena (or another village easily accessible on similar train route). Rent car in said village for exploration in and around Tuscan countryside for a few days. Drop car at same/other rental place and catch a bus/shuttle into Florence.

Option 2) - Train to Florence and rent car near Florence train station. Drive to Tuscany for a few days and drive back to Florence for rental return. Enjoy Florence on foot.

Given my desire to stay off the roads of Florence, Option 1 seems better, but I'm just not sure how feasible it is to rent a car near the Siena train stop if I want to spend the next 3 nights in say Montepulciano. And then there's the return of the car before heading to Florence.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated
Originally Posted by KLouis
Well, first of all you should get a map of Italy (Google Earth will also do) and think this whole thing over.

a) Siena (as in "said village") is a city of more than 50K. Being up on a steep hill, it has fewer roads than Florence and, in addition, you are not allowed to drive in it!

b) You can't drive from Florence or Siena to Tuscany and back as both cities are located in Tuscany. It's like wanting to go from LA to California and back.

If I were you I'd take a train from Venice to either city (will be much faster to Florence) and use local buses/trains to visit whatever place you want in Tuscany. Since you want to visit both Florence and Siena (and you are absolutely right in wanting to do this) I would take the decision on which one of the two to use as a base on whether you want that to be a large city (population of Florence, capital of Tuscany, is about 400K) which offers more possibilities for logistics. Depending on the time of year you're going there (e.g. high summer), be prepared to find many hotels having no vacancies: Tuscany will be packed with billions of people who firmly believe that once you live this region, Italy is no longer beautiful. Keep in mind that you could also spend a few days in Umbria or Marche (both regions neighbouring Tuscany on the East side) without missing amazingly beautiful areas. But, then, you would need to have a rental car.

Enjoy your vacation.
Great advice. When are you going?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Perche
Great advice. When are you going?
Planning on mid/late April 2017. So about one year from right now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.