Wiki Posts
Search

Italy - January Venice? Florence?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Italy - January Venice? Florence?

Hello!

I'll be flying to Venice mid January. Any recommendations - since its pretty cold in January... which cities are worth visiting??
Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2015, 1:57 pm

After January 7th, Venice is about as empty as it's going to be. I'd say that's the best time to go see it. Depending on where you're coming from, you may not even consider it particularly cold.

I was in Florence last February and the temperature was in the 50's. It might be a little colder in January, but warm compared to Maine.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by goldfish1030
Hello!

I'll be flying to Venice mid January. Any recommendations - since its pretty cold in January... which cities are worth visiting??
Thanks!
That's one of the best times to be there. For most people, it will be cold because of the dampness, just like you can feel like you're freezing in Seattle or San Francisco when it's 55F. Bring warm shoes and socks.

I'm not sure I understand the question, "What cities are worth visiting?" You'll be in Venice, one of the most worthwhile cities in the world to visit. Are you staying there for a couple of weeks and looking for side trips from Venice?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Perche
That's one of the best times to be there. For most people, it will be cold because of the dampness, just like you can feel like you're freezing in Seattle or San Francisco when it's 55F. Bring warm shoes and socks.

I'm not sure I understand the question, "What cities are worth visiting?" You'll be in Venice, one of the most worthwhile cities in the world to visit. Are you staying there for a couple of weeks and looking for side trips from Venice?
I've been meaning to ask you, is Venice a total cluster in November during la biennale? I have a week and change in Florence in early November and was thinking of adding on a couple of nights in Venice since my return is fairly open. We've never seen the city during quieter, non-tourist times, but judging by hotel prices it's going to be busy in November. Think I should wait until our next winter trip?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I've been meaning to ask you, is Venice a total cluster in November during la biennale? I have a week and change in Florence in early November and was thinking of adding on a couple of nights in Venice since my return is fairly open. We've never seen the city during quieter, non-tourist times, but judging by hotel prices it's going to be busy in November. Think I should wait until our next winter trip?
November is actually very nice. The biennale is not as big an event as one would think. It doesn't affect the city at all, even in the immediate neighborhood.

It lasts for two weeks so the events are spread out, and they are targeted to a small niche of connoisseurs. It doesn't bring in crowds of tourists at all, and it doesn't affect the city. A few restaurants and hotels may be booked early by people, "in the know," but it's still relatively empty compared to anytime earlier in the year.

If you were visiting and didn't know beforehand that it was the time of the Biennale, you wouldn't even that it was happening unless you were just about standing in front of the entrance of it, except for the posters on the vaporetti and around town.

Last edited by Perche; Aug 6, 2015 at 6:40 pm
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by goldfish1030
Hello!

Thanks!
If you're in Venice for more than just a few days and are looking for a day trip, you could do worse than going to Padua (Padova): It's less than half an hour on the train. You should go to the Cappella deli Scrovegni: http://www.cappelladegliscrovegni.it/index.php/en/

… and Verona is only and hour and ten minutes from Venice on a fast train.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Never been in Venice in January but have been in February and can say that it was great being there with little to no crowds.

One day it snowed lightly. Not enough to be a problem . A quiet hush descended and transported us to a mystical place. Reminded me of Act II at La Boheme at the Met with the snow lightly falling in a magical setting. Wife and I ducked into a shop and bought a Versace umbrella (she still has and treasures it) and strolled all over Venice that day.

One morning I woke up at 5AM and stepped out on the balcone and looked out on the Grand Canale and watched the vaporetto coming and going as the city woke up. It was stunning.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: AC P25
I spent time in Venice, Florence and Pisa in both January and May. I would pick January any day of the week. The weather is chilly, but if you're from a northern clime it's easily mNageable. I flaked on the field of miracles for three hours playing with local pooches and chatting up all sorts of interesting folks. Venice actually felt Italian, there were no lines and the early morning quiet was just surreal after my May visit with insane crowds. You'll never have it to yourself but close enough in January until carnivale. the hoardes of most of the year totally ruin it for me. I want to see Italy, not disneys Italian Adventure.

Disclaimer: I come from the worst climate of southern Canada where we only had 5 days over 20C (68F) this july so I'm maybe not a great climate evaluator.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by yytleisure
Disclaimer: I come from the worst climate of southern Canada where we only had 5 days over 20C (68F) this july so I'm maybe not a great climate evaluator.
Haha, I pretty much have to add the same disclaimer anytime I tell people Italy's best experienced in the winter. But January in most of Italy is like May in Maine. Coming from St. John's, you guys might be packing shorts and flipflops for Venice in Jan.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jan and feb are the best times to visit venice. no major crowds. not many daytrippers. lowest hotel rates. one can get into all the "MUST SEE" places. most restaurants have space. one can ride in the front of the vaporetto.

the disadvantages:could snow, and fog, also high water.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by slawecki
jan and feb are the best times to visit venice. no major crowds. not many daytrippers. lowest hotel rates. one can get into all the "MUST SEE" places. most restaurants have space. one can ride in the front of the vaporetto.

the disadvantages:could snow, and fog, also high water.
I fully agree except for the high water. Aqua alta can be a lot of fun.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Venice and Rome?

I am thinking of visiting Rome and Venice in Jan 2016(Have to use up the GPUs).

We've been to Venice in February, and were in Rome last July...I would think a two city visit would be great and not too cold? Any other suggestions of a nice city in Italy that would be OK in winter?

Thanks
Old Aug 23, 2015, 6:12 pm

What do you consider OK in winter? Your location says Hawaii so I really don't want to assume what temperature range you'll find appealing. There's a good chance it doesn't overlap with mine too much
Old Aug 23, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
What do you consider OK in winter? Your location says Hawaii so I really don't want to assume what temperature range you'll find appealing. There's a good chance it doesn't overlap with mine too much
We're used to cold, usually spend a week in London in Jan. We like cities when they are not crowded. Don't mind temps 30-40-50s, and we were just in Tasmania in their winter. Heavy rain, though, is a pain, but could happen anywhere.

Is anything happening in Venice before the 7th Jan?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by mmack
We're used to cold, usually spend a week in London in Jan. We like cities when they are not crowded. Don't mind temps 30-40-50s, and we were just in Tasmania in their winter. Heavy rain, though, is a pain, but could happen anywhere.

Is anything happening in Venice before the 7th Jan?
You'd be fine in Venice in January, then. Most of Italy, other than in the mountains, should be pretty tolerable. It's absolutely worth wearing a jacket to not have to deal with the summer crowds.

Yes, before January 7th, there is New Years, and before that, Christmas It'll probably be a little busier than the usual fall and winter traffic, which is otherwise lighter. Then Venice probably picks back up in February during Carnevale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.