Wiki Posts
Search

Venice hotel suggestion-

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2014, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA
Hotel recommendation in Venice

Please recommend mid-priced hotels in central Venice - clean and relatively convenient location for June.

Thanks.
Old May 11, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
You probably don't want to stay in central Venice in June. It's too crowded. Venice is a small town. It's better to stay outside of the center. You can easily walk to the center. I suggest you look for places in Castello, Canareggio, and Dorsoduro, not in San Marco.
Old May 11, 2014, 11:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

hapywandr, I stayed at this hotel on Lido island last month

http://www.hotels.com/ho257063/ca-de...-venice-italy/

It is about 15-20 minutes via bus/vaporetto from Piazza San Marco or anywhere else on the Grand Canal. I had a last minute booking, and everything else was really expensive or sold out due to some mass charity run event, but I paid about $65/night via Hotels.com, and enjoyed the relative peace and quiet of Lido after long days in Venice.

Lido may be a cooler escape if the weather is hot, too, and has nice beaches.

This is my review:

This hotel is located on Lido Island just across the water from Venice. The hotel is very modern, with small to moderate rooms which are spotlessly clean and comfortable. Moderate sized bathroom with shower and bidet. My room had a big balcony. TV in the room is quite small, but a good selection of channels in many languages. IKEA style furnishings, comfortable beds. A nice breakfast of rolls,toast, yogurt, juice, fruit, coffee, meats and cheeses is included. My rate was great, helped me on a weekend when Venice was very busy. Staff at the hotel is incredible, very friendly and helpful. Internet costs 1€/hr in the lobby, so reasonable. Downside of this hotel is that it is a little out of town but the bus stops 100 meters down the road, so easy enough to get around. Take the water bus from Venice, the regular bus picks you up at the dock. Recommend you get the multiday pass which covers unlimited boat and bus rides. Easy to get into downtown Lido for dinner, just hop on the bus. All in all, a very comfortable, affordable hotel in an expensive city. I enjoyed my stay, and wouldn't hesitate to go back.
If you choose to stay here, I can PM you explicit directions.

Safe travels,

Doc
Old May 12, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
It's been a few years, but I loved the Violono D'oro. Near Piazza San Marco, short walk to everything (including vaporetto stop), clean, friendly, reasonably priced.
Old May 12, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Two that might work in Dorsoduro are Hotel Locanda San Barnaba and Hotel American. Both are moderately priced, near vaporetto stops and not too far from the Academia bridge.
Old May 12, 2014, 12:27 pm

Wink

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
hapywandr, I stayed at this hotel on Lido island last month

http://www.hotels.com/ho257063/ca-de...-venice-italy/

It is about 15-20 minutes via bus/vaporetto from Piazza San Marco or anywhere else on the Grand Canal. I had a last minute booking, and everything else was really expensive or sold out due to some mass charity run event, but I paid about $65/night via Hotels.com, and enjoyed the relative peace and quiet of Lido after long days in Venice.

Lido may be a cooler escape if the weather is hot, too, and has nice beaches.

This is my review:

If you choose to stay here, I can PM you explicit directions.

Safe travels,

Doc
The Lido is not for everyone. OP should know that the Lido is not a part of the historical center of Venice. He would have to take a bus from the hotel to the boat stop, then take a boat to get to there. If his vision is waking up and going downstairs and wandering into a local Venetian bar for morning coffee and pastry he won't be able to do that.

Also, once in historical Venice if it's hot, he gets tired of the crowds, wants to go upstairs to the hotel and take a break or have a nap after lunch, he'll have to take a boat and a bus to get back to his hotel room on the Lido. To get back to the city proper for dinner he'll have to do it all over again.

If it's his first time in Venice he could be one very disappointed traveler if he finds out that he actually has to commute to get back and forth to Venice proper.

Last edited by Perche; May 12, 2014 at 1:45 pm
Old May 12, 2014, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Perche
The Lido is not for everyone. OP should know that the Lido is not a part of the historical center of Venice. He would have to take a bus from the hotel to the boat stop, then take a boat to get to there. If his vision is waking up and going downstairs and wandering into a local Venetian bar for morning coffee and pastry in he won't be able to do that.

Also, once in historical Venice if it's hot, he gets tired of the crowds, wants to go upstairs to the hotel and take a break or have a nap after lunch, he'll have to take a boat and a bus to get back to his hotel room on the Lido. To get back to the city proper for dinner he'll have to do it all over again.

If it's his first time in Venice he could be one very disappointed traveler if he finds out that he actually has to commute to get back and forth to Venice proper.
very politely said, and very correct.
Old May 17, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: AC*A
We stayed at the Hotel Canal Grande. Located on the main canal it has awesome staff and rooms. Not sure if its "mid-priced" though. While others disagree I would say stay in Venice if at all possible. It's much easier to acclimatize to the exquisite atmosphere than staying in Mestre!

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Revi...ce_Veneto.html
Old May 21, 2014, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by hapywandr
Please recommend mid-priced hotels in central Venice - clean and relatively convenient location for June.

Thanks.
Can you provide an estimate for "mid priced"
Old May 21, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
I'm a big fan of the Hilton Molino Stucky. It has its own private shuttle that takes you direct to St Marks Square. Can be reasonably priced depending on the time of year.
Old May 21, 2014, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by cascade
I'm a big fan of the Hilton Molino Stucky. It has its own private shuttle that takes you direct to St Marks Square. Can be reasonably priced depending on the time of year.
There is an extensive discussion of the MS on the Hilton Forum. In brief, see my above post about staying at the Lido. Like the Lido, the Giudecca is technically and administratively part of Venice. But it is not in the historical center. It is a boat ride away. And it is not and Italian hotel. It is a large, American hotel that is something like the Hilton in Chicago. There can be specific reasons for going there, but they usually don't pertain to a first time tourist. See Hilton Molino Stucky thread for further details.
Old May 21, 2014, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Can you provide an estimate for "mid priced"
No more than $350 US per night. Thanks.
Old May 22, 2014, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by hapywandr
No more than $350 US per night. Thanks.
June will be tough, but I would check out the Hotel Giorgione, off the Strada Nova, near Santi Apostoli. To my mind, the perfect location b/c its close to S. Marco/Rialto - but just on the border w/traditional Venetian neighborhoods.

If you must be near San Marco, look into the Hotel Bisanzio.

I too like the Molino Stucky - b/c it has the kind of amenities that one finds in a large US hotel (e.g., dry cleaning, fitness center, swimming pool) and I like the ability to get away from the crowds. However, I don't believe that in June you'll be able to find rooms there w/in your budget.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria
June will be tough, but I would check out the Hotel Giorgione, off the Strada Nova, near Santi Apostoli. To my mind, the perfect location b/c its close to S. Marco/Rialto - but just on the border w/traditional Venetian neighborhoods.

If you must be near San Marco, look into the Hotel Bisanzio.

I too like the Molino Stucky - b/c it has the kind of amenities that one finds in a large US hotel (e.g., dry cleaning, fitness center, swimming pool) and I like the ability to get away from the crowds. However, I don't believe that in June you'll be able to find rooms there w/in your budget.
Since I've given up my apartment in Venice I go to Bisanzio as my first choice. I think you'll have to be very lucky to get a room there in June. It's a great hotel for the price. Excellent location. Especially if when exploring you make a left out of the front door instead of taking a right towards San Marco.

Last edited by Perche; May 22, 2014 at 4:42 pm
Old May 22, 2014, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i have not stayed at the hilton stuckey, but we walked it. looks just like the DC hilton, and the florida hiltons, and every other hilton. is a conference hotel. is also not in venice.

there are close to 100 4 * hotels in venice under $350/nite, listed in venere.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.