Italy trip with a day trip to Switzerland

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR

Hi all, I am traveling with my family to Milan later this month. We were initially planning to spend 3 days at the Expo before moving on to Venice and Florence but now rethinking that plan (and spending 2 days at the Expo instead) and considering adding a day trip to Switzerland. Does anyone have a recommendation for a day trip into Switzerland? It would have to be relatively inexpensive for a family of 5. Also, do US citizens need to carry passports to cross the Swiss/Italian border?
Old May 7, 2015, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
We took the bus from MXP to Lugano. We were never asked for our passports when we crossed the border. If you're downtown, you can train or bus it. There's frequent service. We spent a long day in Lugano. It's a beautiful town.

If I recall correctly, the roundtrip, or return as my European friends say, is less costly on the bus.

http://www.luganoturismo.ch/en/61/ai...-malpensa.aspx There are 3 links. Roundtrip is 30 euro on the bus from MXP. I'm not sure of the city rate.

With 5 people, it's probably cheaper to rent a car for the day.
dh
Old May 7, 2015, 7:49 pm

With Switzerland being in Schengen but not the EU, there normally isn't passport control, but there could (unlikely) be a customs inspection of what you're carrying. Passport control could be reinstated in an emergency, which is reason enough for you to have your passports on this trip.

Under the law, you should carry your passports at all times in Italy. There may be tacit acceptance of just having copies around town, but less so if you're going out of town, much less crossing a national border.
Old May 12, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
I go from Italy to Switzerland around 4 or 5 times a year (mostly train) and there is far more checking of whether you are moving money than if you have a passport. On the Eurocity train I see the Guardia di Finanza probably half the time and they express varying levels of interest in what I carry, occasionally asking to see almost everything, sometimes glancing at a US passport and moving on. That said, when they check you out they do want to see a passport or id.

Note that there are two trains from Milan to Lugano, a more expensive Eurocity (available on line) and a somewhat less expensive TiLo (you can buy tickets from a travel agent in Milan) that stops a bit more but total time is not that different.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 3:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Any idea what the TiLo goes for? Might do some sleuthing, but trying to tie up some other aspects first. Family wants to visit Switzerland and we'll be based out of Milan for several nights.

Thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by rove312
With Switzerland being in Schengen but not the EU, there normally isn't passport control, but there could (unlikely) be a customs inspection of what you're carrying. Passport control could be reinstated in an emergency, which is reason enough for you to have your passports on this trip.

Under the law, you should carry your passports at all times in Italy. There may be tacit acceptance of just having copies around town, but less so if you're going out of town, much less crossing a national border.
^

If you drive you'll probably have to buy a 'vignette' at the border to allow you access to the Swiss motorway system. This will set you back around 40 EUR.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Any idea what the TiLo goes for? Might do some sleuthing, but trying to tie up some other aspects first. Family wants to visit Switzerland and we'll be based out of Milan for several nights.

Thanks!
The EC ticket is 23 Euros for Milan-Lugano and I think the TiLo is a few Euros less (maybe 19 or so). It's a perfectly nice train (newer than the EC) that stops a few more times. I was able to find pricing to Chiasso (the border between Switzerland and Italy) and the EC is 9 Euros and the TiLo is 5.50.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Thanks for the quotes.

Looking at this later this week or next week- and train prices have been going up.

Last edited by beckoa; Jun 8, 2015 at 4:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.