Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

How is the water between Amalfi & Capri? Choppy/calm?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond

I realize to some extent this depends on wind/weather, but for planning purposes on anything but the absolute worst of days, what could be expected? We're thinking of chartering a boat for 12 from Amalfi to Capri (meandering a bit on the way to see the grottos, etc) but we have 2 seasick-prone in the group. For both of them, they're fine as long as the boat is moving forward (as opposed to rocking back and forth in the waves) and the water isn't too choppy (making the boat go up and down as it goes forward). I assume the waters in the grottos themselves are quite calm?

Our hotel concierge was able to suggest a couple charter outfits but didn't know much about the water, and before we plunk down a decent amount of money to charter a boat, I want to make sure we're not likely to cause anyone to lose their lunch.

It would be in July FWIW...
Old Apr 5, 2015, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
I realize to some extent this depends on wind/weather...
Well, not to some extent, but wholly! Seasick-prone people are often "unpredictable", more so than the weather, and there is no way that you can make any forecast for any day next July. If this is of any help, you can exclude major storms this time of year, but you can count with anything between 3 and 6-7 Bft. Predominant winds are from NW; that helps your friends except for the ~3 nautical miles between the island and the continent.

At any rate, that should be fun, I envy you!
Old Apr 5, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I can't speak to Amalfi to Capri but in the early 80's I took a boat from Sorrento to Capri with my girlfriend at the time. We were staying at the Parco dei Principi Hotel and they had a small boat (15') that went from the base of the cliffs to Capri. We circumnavigated Capri seeing white grotto and the blue grotto and they dropped us off at the base of the funiculare so we could explore the island.

So, it was a pretty small boat and it was pretty comfortable. I would say the day was a normal calm day. If it was stormy, all bets are off but if it is "normal" I wouldn't think you should have a problem.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: LH, BA, TK
It totally depends on weather, as you said.
Doing it in July helps a lot to find cooperative weather. It is a rare occurence to find it stormy in July on the Amalfi coast.
Definitely doable, and I'm personally seasick-prone.
The earlier in the day the better.
The water in the grottos are calm, lake-like.
Just in case (since it also has a placebo effect) ask them to bring Travelgum along.
It did wonders on me when in Brazil went to Ilha Grande.

Enjoy.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
There are prescription medicines to prevent seasickness, such as scopalamine patches. If you don't want to risk a ruined day, have your doctor prescribe a few and take them with you. Apply the patch a few hours before you head out on the water. http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supp...e/drg-20072848
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Talking

I had a dizziness attack about a decade ago when in Switzerland that was diagnosed as being caused by a loose particle bouncing around in my ear fluid. They gave me a prescription to Torecan, which, as near as it was described and also as I have experienced, was an incredibly specific and advanced anti-nausea medicine. The doc mentioned it would also be really useful for sea sickness and motion sickness and I actually ended up using it for just that. One pill in the AM and no sickness all day with pretty minimal drowsiness compared to other products.

So, just by coincidence I am Italy and my Torecan prescription is now down to one pill (from 20) so he wrote me a new one. But at the pharmacy yesterday it turned out that (at least in Italy) it is now only available as a suppository. I took it anyways though it certainly seems to change the overall approach to preparing for a day on choppy waters...

Anyways, and as a previous poster noted, today there is no need to suffer from seasickness, have those subject to it get some medicine before they go. It will be worth it. And as another poster noted (and I can personally testify) seasickness is not entirely predictable and sometimes the smallest amount of bobbing or rocking does one in. But I have not had to suffer from sea sickness for at least a decade and that has been regardless of the conditions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.