Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expo Milano

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by zkzkz
I'm going to be in the area for the first time and we have a half day free so it seems like an obvious idea to go to the expo but ....

What's the point? I've read this thread and all the promo material and I can't figure out what it's for. It seems like an amusement park without the rides.

If I would be going, what would I be going for?
I haven't been there, it's not something I would do, but there are near daily newspaper articles about it that I read. It seems that it is all about the food, often about people stopping for lunch and getting a bill for 125 euros. Some articles say there are some good chefs showcasing their stuff.

In Italy, except in places like Milan, there is not a lot of ethnic food. Italians generally stick to eating Italian food. The Expo seems to be a place that some people like because they can taste Peruvian food, eat cous cous, have a zebra steak. It seems to revolve around food, complaints about 125 euro lunch bills, 15 euro crocodile steaks, and other things having to do with the food world, so that's what you'd be going for.

http://www.dissapore.com/?s=expo
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Expo Milano

It is about the food. I had frites in Belgium, bratwurst in Germany and great drinks too - the Italian wine pavilion is fantastic with 140 wines to choose from. The San Daniele prosciutto was amazing and all my foods under €10. To save on water and snacks I went to the supermarket of the future (CoOp) funny water was under €1 and €2.50 at vendors.
A few country pavilions were great to showcase the theme of food sustainability. My favorites were Germany, Azerbaijan and Belgium. there are some lines not worth waiting on but all of the food options were tempting. I tried to go fancy at one restaurant but they ignored me and my table for one so I walked away. there are celebrity chefs at expo as well as in Milan with event dinners if that's your thing.
The cirque show was ok but you can see it for free from the fence (it's open air stage) as well as the second level of nearby pavilions to save money
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold 0.66MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zkzkz
I'm going to be in the area for the first time and we have a half day free so it seems like an obvious idea to go to the expo but ....

What's the point? I've read this thread and all the promo material and I can't figure out what it's for. It seems like an amusement park without the rides.

If I would be going, what would I be going for?
It's a World's Fair. It's an opportunity for countries and corporations to show off on a global stage. These happen every 2-3 years and each Expo has a specific theme; this time the theme is 'Feeding the Planet'.

You would be going to see a bunch of cool temporary architecture, try lots of unique food at the company pavilions, see how nations are branding themselves, check out some conceptual technology, meet people from all over the world, etc. It is whatever you make of it.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:30 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I am going to Milan for a short trip next week.
As I am only there for a full day and two half days, I wasn't sure if I wanted to see the EXPO or not. And I also wasn't sure if I could stand a whole day in such a crowded area.
I have now decided to go there only for an evening - to have a little look around and something to eat and drink.
This is a good solution for people who are not sure if they want to go or not, I think.
5€ for an evening ticket (19-23).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.