Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

How early leaving central Rome for an 8:50am intra-Europe flight at FCO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver

We have a FCO-FRA flight at 8:50am. Staying at the Excelsior in central Rome. Departing on Alitalia.
I know traffic can be horrific in Rome, but not sure if the same is true for heading out of Rome, but imagine that some of the streets will still be packed.
Would 7am be sufficient? We would be checking luggage.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
We have a FCO-FRA flight at 8:50am. Staying at the Excelsior in central Rome. Departing on Alitalia.
I know traffic can be horrific in Rome, but not sure if the same is true for heading out of Rome, but imagine that some of the streets will still be packed.
Leaving at 7am? I think that might be cutting it close. FCO is a zoo and there could be traffic. I assume you're taking a taxi/sedan and being dropped off? Personally, I'd aim to be at FCO by 7 just in case the ticket counter is a mess.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Leaving at 7am? I think that might be cutting it close. FCO is a zoo and there could be traffic. I assume you're taking a taxi/sedan and being dropped off? Personally, I'd aim to be at FCO by 7 just in case the ticket counter is a mess.
We would be taking a taxi. I have status on DL, shouldn't that get me in the premium ticket counter for check in?
If I needed to arrive by 7, when would I have to leave central Rome?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:58 am

We would be taking a taxi. I have status on DL, shouldn't that get me in the premium ticket counter for check in?
If I needed to arrive by 7, when would I have to leave central Rome?
You know, I had it in my head that you're going to T3, but I think you'll actually be at T1. That's my fault, at FCO I'm mostly going to T3

T1 should be less of a zoo. Does your DL status give you SkyPriority/Skyteam Elite+ status? Hopefully someone that has been there more recently than me can tell you, but I think SkyPriority gets to check in at the Alitalia lounge, which is located pre-security - I believe it's called the Dolce Vita lounge, or at least is now - it was called something else last time I was there. Right next to it should be priority security as well.

It's been a while, but I think I recall this particular lounge being the only one at FCO that isn't a total you-know-what-hole.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, my DL status does give me the SkyPriority/Skyteam Elite+ status. So, would a simple hour ahead of time work then?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
6:45 is generally fine.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Weekend or weekday makes some difference, but not much. I don't worry at all about early morning traffic on the weekend. During the early morning, even during the week it's not that much of a worry.

This has to do with your stress tolerance. I'd rather give up a half hour of sleep even if I'm doing last call on the roof top lounge, than stress out about making my flight. For an 8:50 flight I'd personally calculate it this way.

The plane is supposed to board a half hour before departure time, so that's 8:20. I like to enjoy the lounge for about 30 minutes and the walk from lounge to gate can be ten minutes, so subtract 40 minutes. That means 7:40. Even on a bad day, with priority access FCO isn't LHR and you are usually airside in less than 15 minutes. That means you are down to 7:25. With no traffic and a good cab that shows up on time it's a 35 minute ride, so that means 6:50. I never check luggage so I have no experience with that, but with priority access I'd guess it can add up to 20 minutes, so that's 6:30.

Give yourself whatever cushion you're comfortable with, stress wise, for traffic and the unexpected. For me, that's usually about an extra 45 minutes. That means I'd ask for the cab to pick me up at 5:45 for an 8:50 flight. Barring some catastrophe that would get you there with enough time to spare and, to not stress over it, but somewhat sleep deprived. You can trim the 5:45 time up or down according to your stress tolerance about missing your flight. You can also delete the half hour in the lounge, that's just my custom.

Last edited by Perche; Dec 12, 2014 at 10:49 pm
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:12 pm

Perche, you probably know this - do you still get to check in at the lounge in FCO T1, provided that you have access to it (ST E+, business/first, etc)?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:31 pm

Perche, you probably know this - do you still get to check in at the lounge in FCO T1, provided that you have access to it (ST E+, business/first, etc)?
My understanding is that OP is a Delta Diamond. That gives him access to the Alitalia Dolce Vita Lounge in T1 where he can bring one guest plus children, and pick up his boarding pass. They will also give him a Fast Track pass through security which is right outside the lounge, and generally doesn't have much of a line.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Perche
My understanding is that OP is a Delta Diamond. That gives him access to the Alitalia Dolce Vita Lounge in T1 where he can bring one guest plus children, and pick up his boarding pass. They will also give him a Fast Track pass through security which is right outside the lounge, and generally doesn't have much of a line.
I am DM but will only be plat at the time. But this is great info.
It will be a weekday.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:02 pm

I am DM but will only be plat at the time. But this is great info.
It will be a weekday.
I've never had any traffic problems. But you can see how I calculate my time, so it's usually before 6:00 AM when I'm in the cab even for an 8:50 flight, and at that time we are usually the only car moving on the streets of Rome. Cutting it much closer than I do could lead to more traffic, I just never cut it close.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 1:18 pm

FYI, if you get to the airport a little early, that lounge has a flight simulator.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:37 pm

FYI, if you get to the airport a little early, that lounge has a flight simulator.
Which lounge? What kind of a flight simulator?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
Which lounge? What kind of a flight simulator?
FCO T1 Dolce Vita lounge. Not sure what kind, but if you google the lounge, you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
First, you might want to check to be sure you're not going to T5 if you are on Delta.
Mainly, though, the issue is not just traffic (once I waited in traffic on the way to FCO because of an accident on the divided highway, and the wait was almost an hour). The issue also is what's happening in the terminal, whether or not it is crowded with lots of passengers.
Yesterday, there was some kind of slow-down at FCO, intentional or not (I think it was intentional) at Passport Control. A delay of 45 minutes while the line did not move and just got longer. Then just one guy showed up to check passports. Really. And then you still aren't near the departure gate. (In T5, you aren't even at the departure terminal once you get through Passport Control.) So I would leave nothing less that 2 hours to go through all the steps and get to the gate, especially if you are hoping for some lounge time. Tried to leave 3 hours yesterday at FCO and T5, and ended up with a half hour of lounge time before making the move to the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.