Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brenner pass early April: snow tires?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Brenner pass early April: snow tires?

I am renting a car in Germany from Hertz and plan on driving to Italy (Verona) over the Brenner pass April 7 approx.
Are snow tires legally required & in general what are driving conditions like at that time (I know, impossible to predict with great certitude).

Last edited by jehflyer; Mar 24, 2014 at 5:40 am Reason: spelling
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:27 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by jehflyer
I am renting a car in Germany from Hertz and plan on driving to Italy (Verona) over the Brenner pass April 7 approx.
Are snow tires legally required & in general what are driving conditions like at that time (I know, impossible to predict with great certitude).
https://www.autobrennero.it/en/trave.../winter-tryes/
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Do you know if these regulations are strictly enforced?
Is it enough to have chains in the trunk?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:41 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Regulations weren't strictly enforced last time I drove through the Brenner Pass in that timeframe. I don't know that I'd want to risk it, though, and after all, they want snow/winter tires for a reason...

You should be able to get snow tires on the car from Hertz without much added expense. Are you renting from MUC?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you rent from Hertz in Germany, you may be forbidden to take the car into Italy. This needs to be checked very carefully in advance. A solution might be a cheaper category vehicle or Hertz may be willing to alter their standard contract, depending especially on where in Italy you plan to travel.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:08 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Yes, they do restrict some cars from being driven to Italy. Last time we rented for that purpose, I believe we had a decently-equipped Citroen (after reaming them for not having snow tires on the low-end Mercedes we originally rented). IIRC, BWMs weren't allowed into Italy, along with some Mercedes... probably a few other models of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.