Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

American Palace Hotel in Rome(sneaking a person in the room)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

If anyone has been to the American Palace Hotel in Rome, I would like your opinion about sneaking an extra person in the hotel room. would it be easy? are they strict or what? I have plans to go in May but we don't want to have to pay to add another person to the room. what to do...

Last edited by Maegan Rose Olson; Mar 13, 2014 at 5:58 pm
Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:37 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to FlyerTalk. Moving your thread to the Italy forum. Please follow there.
Thanks...
Obscure 2K
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

italy had/has a license requirement for number of people staying in a room. on two occasions, once in the danieli, and once in the e&r, we had friends over for a drink. the hotel sent up staff to make certain they were not bedding down.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Just don't do it. They will find out.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Maegan Rose Olson
If anyone has been to the American Palace Hotel in Rome, I would like your opinion about sneaking an extra person in the hotel room. would it be easy? are they strict or what? I have plans to go in May but we don't want to have to pay to add another person to the room. what to do...

It really isn't relevant that you "don't want to have to pay" for an add'l person. italian law dictates that you must. What you suggest is deemed no different than say, having three people get on a train but only booking tickets for two.

You will all be required to show passports upon check in. In addition, the beds will not be the same as in the US. If you book a twin room w/two beds, be prepared for two single beds, a king room is often two single beds pushed together. In addition, there will be very little add'l furniture for the third person to sleep on, and they won't deliver a rollaway.

In May, triple rooms at this property seemingly cost about 10EU/night more than the doubles, book a room that accommodates the actual # of people in your property.

Last edited by bdemaria; Mar 16, 2014 at 9:49 am
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Leaving the moral issues aside, what you're thinking of doing is illegal: For 'homeland security' reasons, all hotels in Italy have an obligation to communicate the names and passport / ID card details of all guests staying in their establishment to the Carabinieri so by not declaring an additional person you would certainly be committing a criminal offense. Also, all hotels in Rome now collect a daily tourist tax payable by all guests, which is passed-on to the city administration so by sneaking-in a non-paying guest you'll be committing your second criminal offence. As you would also be stealing from the hotel, if you get found out, you should be in no doubt that the Carabinieri would be called so if you go-ahead with your plan, don't be at all surprised if you get a rap on the door from a couple of uniformed officers carrying pistols.

bdemaria is absolutely correct, and the cost of an additional person would not normally cost the earth. You may have to pay a small supplement for the upgrade to a room with the extra bed / sofa bed; and for the extra breakfast and tourist tax.

and 'not leaving the moral issues aside' (and I hope I'm not contravening FT etiquette guidelines here) if you try it on and get found out, you probably deserve to pay the consequences.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:00 am
Suspended

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Up In The Air
Leaving the moral issues aside, what you're thinking of doing is illegal: For 'homeland security' reasons, all hotels in Italy have an obligation to communicate the names and passport / ID card details of all guests staying in their establishment to the Carabinieri so by not declaring an additional person you would certainly be committing a criminal offense. Also, all hotels in Rome now collect a daily tourist tax payable by all guests, which is passed-on to the city administration so by sneaking-in a non-paying guest you'll be committing your second criminal offence. As you would also be stealing from the hotel, if you get found out, you should be in no doubt that the Carabinieri would be called so if you go-ahead with your plan, don't be at all surprised if you get a rap on the door from a couple of uniformed officers carrying pistols.

bdemaria is absolutely correct, and the cost of an additional person would not normally cost the earth. You may have to pay a small supplement for the upgrade to a room with the extra bed / sofa bed; and for the extra breakfast and tourist tax.

and 'not leaving the moral issues aside' (and I hope I'm not contravening FT etiquette guidelines here) if you try it on and get found out, you probably deserve to pay the consequences.

It is most certainly not a criminal offense: not reporting one's guest identity to the questura (not the carabinieri) is a very minor administrative offense punishable with a fine (of course, in the event the unreported guest is not a fugitive from justice or an illegal immigrant, in which case failure could be a serious criminal offense).

The municipal tourist taxes are levied on the hotel, not the guests, so by not declaring a guest one is not committing tax evasion. Just because hotels pass-on cost of the tax to consumers it doesn't mean that guests are liable to pay for it.

And, if you do decide not to report your guest and get caught by the hotel staff, I would not expect any carabinieri being called. Front Desk will just ask for your friend's passport details and charge the extra guest fee to your room folio, unless you're exceeding room capacity, in which case they will ask him to leave.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:03 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FozBoy
It is most certainly not a criminal offense: not reporting one's guest identity to the questura (not the carabinieri) is a very minor administrative offense punishable with a fine (of course, in the event the unreported guest is not a fugitive from justice or an illegal immigrant, in which case failure could be a serious criminal offense).

The municipal tourist taxes are levied on the hotel, not the guests, so by not declaring a guest one is not committing tax evasion. Just because hotels pass-on cost of the tax to consumers it doesn't mean that guests are liable to pay for it.

And, if you do decide not to report your guest and get caught by the hotel staff, I would not expect any carabinieri being called. Front Desk will just ask for your friend's passport details and charge the extra guest fee to your room folio, unless you're exceeding room capacity, in which case they will ask him to leave.
I guess you can take your chances. If you don't get accused of an offense you'll certainly get a big bout of 'brutta figura'.

Here's the code: http://www.sanzioniamministrative.it...ULPS/TULPS.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.