Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Train to Amalfi Coast

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Train to Amalfi Coast

Will be taking the train from Firenze, early April. My destination is Ravello, which I believe means I'll need a car/driver or taxi to ultimately get to Ravello. Do I need to take the train all the way to Naples, or is there a stop closer to Ravello? Thanks.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by bebop bonnie
Will be taking the train from Firenze, early April. My destination is Ravello, which I believe means I'll need a car/driver or taxi to ultimately get to Ravello. Do I need to take the train all the way to Naples, or is there a stop closer to Ravello? Thanks.
You'll have to get off the train in Naples, but then without having to leave the train station you can switch from Trenitalia to a regional train called the Circumvesuviano that will take you to Sorrento. That's closer to Ravello.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Salerno is closer to Ravello.
From the station it's approximately 40 km (1 hour drive).
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by bebop bonnie
As suggested by Forrest Bump, Salerno is closer to Ravello than Sorrento. There is a high speed train from Rome to Salerno. From there you'd get a driver to Ravello. The high speed train stops in Naples since it's on the way to Salerno, but you wouldn't have to get off.

If you do go from Florence to Naples and take the Circumvesuviano to Sorrento, from the train station there is a bus that leaves at least every hour that takes you along the stunningly beautiful Amalfi Coast, some of Italy's greatest scenery. Ask the driver to let you off in the town of Amalfi. You can check out Amalfi, right on the water. The local bus makes the 20 minute run to Ravello every hour.

Sorrento and Amalfi are nice places to see. Salerno is a port, not a place for tourists, so it depends to some extent on your preferences. If you want to get there faster, take the high speed from Rome-Naples-Salerno, then get a car service.

Another option if you are not in a hurry is to go from Florence to Naples and take a ferry to Positano or to the town of Amalfi. It's a gorgeous two hour boat ride. Explore either town for half a day. Buses from Positano or Amalfi to Ravello are frequent and easy to deal with.

Depends a little on what you want to see, and how fast you want to get there.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help! I want most of all, the easiest way to get there! The hotel car/driver can pick us up (probably from anywhere we designate) and take us to the hotel in Ravello. Seemed to me it would be less expensive if they picked us up in Salerno as opposed to Naples. But it won't be worth it if the Firenze to Salerno train trip is cumbersome. And we'll save coastal meandering and sightseeing for another day. Fortunately we have several days on the Amalfi coast!

Upon departure, we'll take your suggestion and go from Salerno to Rome. Again, many thanks for your assistance!
Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:37 am

If simple is what you want, that's easy. There's a high speed train with no connections or train changes that you can take from the main train station in Firenze-SMN that stops in Rome, then Naples, then Salerno. And have your driver meet you at the station in Salerno. The one where you won't have to make any train changes in Rome or Naples is the Trenitalia Frecciarossa. About a 3.5 hour trip. From Florence to Salerno. About $95 in economy, $150 in business. I've taken it in business, although not to Salerno. It's high speed, hits 380 kmh, dining car, bar, internet, luxury seats. That will be easy and fun.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
I just add to what very well said by Perche the other train option of Italo treno. Along with Trenitalia it is a straightforward trip from Florence to Salerno with 2 stops, no changes. Fares from €40.
For April '14 check it in a couple of months.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:49 am
Original Poster

That sounds perfect!! Florence to Salerno... Thank you both so much!
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:29 am

We take a Driver from Naples Central Station to Ravello, Salerno is nearer as the crow flies however the narrow coast road gets congested and the journey can take an age at times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.