Search

JFK-FCO-FLR? [Transit procedures connecting at FCO]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold

Hi All,

I'm planning a trip from NYC to Florence. Was thinking of taking the JFK-FCO-FLR route, but am rather confused about the transit procedures at FCO. I've looked up the airport website and searched the threads here and elsewhere and still have the following questions:

1) Do American flights only depart from terminal 5, or do they also arrive there?

2) If I am booked on and flying AA metal from JFK to FCO but then have an AZ flight number from FCO to FLR (all on the same ticket though) will I have to collected my checked luggage, or will it be automatically transferred?

3) Is 2 hrs transfer time enough at this airport?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by CheVive
Hi All,

I'm planning a trip from NYC to Florence. Was thinking of taking the JFK-FCO-FLR route, but am rather confused about the transit procedures at FCO. I've looked up the airport website and searched the threads here and elsewhere and still have the following questions:

1) Do American flights only depart from terminal 5, or do they also arrive there?

2) If I am booked on and flying AA metal from JFK to FCO but then have an AZ flight number from FCO to FLR (all on the same ticket though) will I have to collected my checked luggage, or will it be automatically transferred?

3) Is 2 hrs transfer time enough at this airport?

Thanks in advance!
Sorry not to answer question directly. Alternatively, it appears the OW flight options are pretty much a combination of AA, AB and Finnair (and BA) flights throughout Dusseldorf directly to FLR. You should also consult the AA timetable as the JFK FCO flight is seasonal for your original plan.

More directly two hours may not be enough time to transit.

May I suggest the high speed train from Rome to Florence as another alternative? The DaVinci express train originates at FCO and ends at Roma Termini, Rome's main train station. At Roma Termini you transfer to a non stop high speed to Florence that deposits you in he center of the city. My wife and I have done this three times, each time with a big suitcase rather than fly to Florence.

Timeline - whatever time it takes to clear security and immigration. Fifteen minute walk to FCO train station. Twenty minute train ride to Roma Termini. Transfer and wait for Fresciarossa fast train. While waiting enjoy a cafe Americano to clear the head fog. Board train to Florence. Takes 1 hour 45 to Florence. Comparable time, different kind of hassle, more of Italy that you will see.

Last edited by george 3; Aug 1, 2013 at 6:06 pm
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold, Mariott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Terminal 5 isnt a terminal per se. They bus you over to the flights, but all US based airlines require you to go through security. Not all US FLIGHTS go out of that terminal. If you flew Airitalia it would go out of 1 or 3.

Anywho, when you land there is a connecting lane that you go through. Even if you had to go out and back in, you arrive in terminal 3 after passport control. And terminal 1 is at the far end (not really far) of that arrivals area.

Based on my not ever having doing this before but seeing the airport, I think even if you had to clear passport control you could do it in 2 hours on the outbound. The return, not so much. You would have to get a shuttle from the arrivals terminal and go to terminal 5 and through security (twice). As an elite, or on a pump fare, you can use the faster security lane, but dont fool yourself, its not a lot faster.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by george 3
May I suggest the high speed train from Rome to Florence as another alternative?
Having done both myself +1 on the train option.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love, and prefer, high-speed trains, but it's usually cheaper to do the add-on to FLR -- typically the same base fare plus a few more EUR in tax -- than to buy a separate ticket on the train to stazione Termini and one from there on the Frecciarossa or Italo. Plus you don't have to haul your bags bleary eyed (AA arrives FCO at the not-so-cool 0135 NYC time zone). Of course at FLR you need to pay for a longer taxi ride than you would if you arrived at the station, so I can see why some people may prefer it.

It's been a while since I've connected in FCO (and it was arriving on BA, another non-Schengen arrival), and it was not at all painful and quite rapid.

Bags stay with the airport -- you do customs at FLR. At FCO you just do immigration, which is a simple passport check, not the monstrosity that it's in the US.

The published MCT is 1:00, which is consistent with my experience, and 2h will leave you lots of time to enjoy a real cappuccino and cornetto.

Enjoy!

Last edited by hillrider; Aug 1, 2013 at 7:12 pm
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

After dropping off your bags at JFK, the next time you should see them is at FLR not FCO. However you will go thru immigration at FCO.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by hillrider
I love, and prefer, high-speed trains, but it's usually cheaper to do the add-on to FLR -- typically the same base fare plus a few more EUR in tax -- than to buy a separate ticket on the train to stazione Termini and one from there on the Frecciarossa or Italo. Plus you don't have to haul your bags bleary eyed (AA arrives FCO at the not-so-cool 0135 NYC time zone). Of course at FLR you need to pay for a longer taxi ride than you would if you arrived at the station, so I can see why some people may prefer it.

It's been a while since I've connected in FCO (and it was arriving on BA, another non-Schengen arrival), and it was not at all painful and quite rapid.

Bags stay with the airport -- you do customs at FLR. At FCO you just do immigration, which is a simple passport check, not the monstrosity that it's in the US.

The published MCT is 1:00, which is consistent with my experience, and 2h will leave you lots of time to enjoy a real cappuccino and cornetto.

Enjoy!
Forgot about the Cornetto!
Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:53 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf
After dropping off your bags at JFK, the next time you should see them is at FLR not FCO.....
Oh, do some bags connect successfully at FCO now?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roberto99
Bags, sure. Their contents, well, that's another story!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, RapidRewards
Originally Posted by roberto99
So building off of this if I was connecting to another European country via Alitalia through FCO I wouldn't see my bags until final destination?

Family is doing ORD-FCO, travel a bit and then BRU-ORD. The premium seat price battle between United and Delta has made ORD-BRU roundtrip a good deal but when you plug in the multi-destination price jumps. One of the ORD-BRU options goes through FCO so we'd like to book the BRU roundtrip and just get off at FCO. Can I pull that off?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.