Wiki Posts
Search

Are Italians Rude?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by NYCWahoo
In my first 24hrs in Rome I have observed 4 unnecessary confrontations and rude behaviors. Kinda comical how rude these people are.

#1) What proof do you have that "these people" are Italian?

#2) What do you define as 'unnecessary confrontations' or 'rude behaviors'? Cultural differences can easily be misconstrued.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
As to queue-jumping. In Italy it seems to be a badge of honor. Just this last trip we were standing in an endless line to get into a museum - three people at the desk, one issuing tickets, one taking the tickets from the machine and handing them to people, one essentially looking decorative, but I digress...

We observed a couple doing the line surfing thing - they just moved up a couple people every change they got. We got to the head of the line just as they did and as they made their move we just thrust out our elbows preventing them from passing us. We won. Hurrah!

At the Vatican you'll see large groups of elderly black-clad women looking sweet and innocent. But then you see them form wedges and just burrow through the crowd. Sort of like geese. When one tires they send up another to take the lead. Truly an art.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:44 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
This thread is really not what FlyerTalk, a board for people who love to travel and meet new people and learn about other cultures, is about.
We'll put it to rest now.

l'etoile
sr moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.