Some good resources for determining where to eat in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 1:13 am
sk3
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Some good resources for determining where to eat in Rome

There are many restaurants in Rome who cater to the tourist crowd (establishments with waiters waiving menus out front are a sure sign its food will be subpar), and many places that will seat tourists bunched together in a different area from the locals and who are then served inferior ingredients - which by the way, the average Roman would refuse if served similar fare. On my first few visits to Rome I had some truly ghastly meals.

I've since done my research and these are the resources I now use to find great meals in Rome (the list below includes: 3 expats now residing in Rome that are major "foodies", 2 of whom offer apps; and a superlative website maintained by Romans), and they also all offer food tours. Here are the links:

Katie Parla
Katie Parla's blog: Parlafood
Katie Parla's app (can be used offline): Rome for Foodies
Twitter Account: @katieparla

Elizabeth Minchilli
Elizabeth Minchilli's blog: Elizabeth Minchilli in Rome
Elizabeth Minchilli's apps for Rome and Florence (can be used offline): EAT APPS: ROME + FLORENCE
Twitter Account: @eminchilli

Maureen Fant
Maureen Fant's website (and note the pdf at the top of the homepage for her updated list of favorite Roman restaurants): Maureen B. Fant
Twitter Account: @mbfant

And here's the link to Italy's Chowhound Forum, where you'll often see the above 3 women duke it out. (For those unfamiliar, Chowhound is to food, what FlyerTalk is to travel).

Tavole Romane
And lastly, here's a really terrific website that I came across because they tweet back and forth with the ladies above. It's largely in Italian (since they're Romans!), but there's also substantial content in English and at the bottom of each individual post in Italian is a handy google translation button:
Tavole Romane: per chi vive a Roma e per chi vuole viverla e gustarla come i romani

And for convenience, here's the entire website through google translate:
Roman Tables: for those who live in Rome and for those who want to live it and enjoy it as the Romans do

Twitter Account: @tavoleromane

Here's their English language content

And here's their English language blog - for the foodies out there this makes for great reading and will surely keep you "in the know"

The writers have chosen to remain anonymous but here's what they say about themselves (translated by google). As much as I value the opinions of the 3 expats above (which I do greatly), if I had to rely on just one source I'd choose Tavole Romane, they're Romans afterall.

Or to keep it the simplest
If you want to know where to eat in Rome just use Tavole Romane's current and superb compilation of the best in Rome (in English):
The Untouchables

Hope this helps someone!

Last edited by sk3; Nov 5, 2012 at 4:01 am
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: AZ,Ba,,UA,DL,AA Gold ,Hyatt Platinum,Amex Plat., Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
This is a great resource- thanks!
Old Nov 5, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Just followed your link and I've to thank you sk3 for your great job! As always.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:51 am

Pizzeria Remo: I was there about 3 weeks ago. I already knew the place, I didn't have pizza there since a couple of years. Well it's typical roman pizzeria, quick service and good pizza. You're supposed to eat and quickly leave the place, the service for our US friends might look poor and cheap, but it's just how it works in those pizzeria. In about 30 mins you can expect to be totally done with your dinner there.
Pizza here is good as in many other places in Rome which are not as popular as Remo.

Sforno: Just last week had pizza there. I was there for the first time last year and I didn't like it. This time I must admit I definitely enjoyed it, pizza was great much better than how I did remember it from last year. The "fritti" in the starters are good but nothing really so special. The service is more customer oriented than Remo for the ones who care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.