Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Pointbreak Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by Me2Earth
I cant belive CP Manila is gone in an instant. All the rooms from Dec 16 - Jan 31st.

This should be investigated like room hoarding. In 24 hours?!

PC should implement that Plat members should have a crack first at the first 24 hrs.
I believe there has been suspicions that some hotels have blocked inventory after getting on PB list?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by bartla
Managed to book a KING SUITE for 7 nights at HOLIDAY INN SUVA FIJI using the pointbreaks offer! Looks like there's only one suite, it's no longer available on the nights I booked it in January, but still is on the other dates. PS: The resort doesn't look spectacular at all, but need to be in Fiji anyway, so looks like a good deal.
Well, IIRC, this is not a resort, more like a business hotel in the middle of Suva, the largest city in Fiji (and on the rainier side of Viti Levu) . Mind you, last time I was there was 6 years ago, so they could have spruced it up, but they probably still haven't moved it from its original location.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by honu
Well, IIRC, this is not a resort, more like a business hotel in the middle of Suva, the largest city in Fiji (and on the rainier side of Viti Levu) . Mind you, last time I was there was 6 years ago, so they could have spruced it up, but they probably still haven't moved it from its original location.
Got the suite there for Oct 2014. Amazing.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 7:05 am

Programs: IHG Plat; CC Gold
The UK, with only 2 hotels is very dissapointing. One, Sandy in Bedford, is one I would def not visit even if you paid me, it is an old Garden Court hotel and is very tired, it really, really, needs updating.

I drive past the Kettering Corby hotel frequently, maybe it has been suffering with the opening new HIX in Kettering. Not been to this HI, but it looks fine from the outside, although the car park is usually almost empty.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
I cant belive CP Manila is gone in an instant. All the rooms from Dec 16 - Jan 31st.

PC should implement that Plat members should have a crack first at the first 24 hrs.
We stayed there in Sept 2010, it was a really nice hotel. I don't think they are up to anything, it's just high season and Aussie school holidays. I wasn't expecting a great list during this time but have hopes for something in Bali next list.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Is there any precedence for such a short PB duration? We're looking at a shade over 8 weeks life on this list.... which, considering the selection, isn't such a bad thing potentially.
I think they couldn't get enough hotels to participate during the holiday season.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:30 pm

Montreal on the list back to back when I need them; awesome!

Got 20 nights at the Holiday Inn Laval; great central (off the island) location with plenty of dining, next to the mall and the windtunnel skydiving center; and on the corner of 2 major highways and major metro to line downtown.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:35 pm

Programs: FB,BD,LH,EK,PC,HH,MR
Is the area accessible with public transpory to from airport/city ? Cant find this anywhere
Old Dec 7, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Premier Exec; AA Platinum; SPG Gold; PC Platinum Ambassador

You still would have missed it- the list went up on Dec 3, and you're complaining on Dec 5... Still was availability when I looked on the 4th.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Tiki
I think they couldn't get enough hotels to participate during the holiday season.
This is a reasonable working theory. thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Tiki
Originally Posted by dsquared37
This is a reasonable working theory. thanks.

I was under the belief (perhaps mistaken)that the hotels themselves don't decide to participate in PBs but that the list is compiled by IHG and the hotels get the same reimbursement for a PB stay as for a normal award night stay. If true that working theory would be blown out of the water
Old Dec 8, 2012, 1:01 pm

Yes, so more likely PC want us to pay cash during the holiday season and has chosen hotels accordingly

Last edited by Hannibal Lecter; Dec 8, 2012 at 1:07 pm
Old Dec 8, 2012, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
More logical that PC want us to pay cash during the holiday season and has choosen hotels accordingly
They once gave us the chance of IC Rio over New Year on PB - you don't get much more tourism honey-pot than that in the IHG portfolio

Looking for logic in this game is the road to madness!
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I recalled one year ago I snatched two nights at IC Beichen in Beijing on PB, even upgraded to executive floor upon check-in. Can't imagine PB is devaluing that fast!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: KF Gold, QF Gold, MR Platinum, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I was under the belief (perhaps mistaken)that the hotels themselves don't decide to participate in PBs but that the list is compiled by IHG and the hotels get the same reimbursement for a PB stay as for a normal award night stay. If true that working theory would be blown out of the water
Yea, I believe that the hotel didn't realize that they're on PB list. I've just booked 3 rooms in IC Jakarta two days ago and send email to their Guest Relations asking for an upgrade, suddenly IC Jakarta disappeared from the PB list on the next day. Probably they just realized that it's not profitable for them to be put on PB list during this festive season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.