Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

me being a newbie: What's the quickest/best way to earn like 750 points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt

I know there are ways to get 10k for $, and CCs or other options do exist, but if all I need is like 750-1000 points, what would people suggest? Can one transfer in from another airline/hotel group? Is there a promo, dining? Do people use or recommend services like Points.com and if so, with what other entity would you do the trade? Etc.

I could do more research but haven't much time. So that's why I posted here. In other threads, I am usually the one who thinks he knows the answers. With PC I do not. Thanks in advance!

MM
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:45 am

RE

http://newgirlintheair.wordpress.com/ has link to 500 points worth of quizes (with answers)...points post near instantly.
Coke rewards had 500 and 2000 PC redemptions a few days ago, might not be sold out....only good if you have at least 160 coke points for the 500 point reward. 630 points for the 2000 point reward.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I know there are ways to get 10k for $, and CCs or other options do exist, but if all I need is like 750-1000 points, what would people suggest? Can one transfer in from another airline/hotel group? Is there a promo, dining? Do people use or recommend services like Points.com and if so, with what other entity would you do the trade? Etc.
Um, I know it's probably not the answer you're looking for, but if it's urgent, 1000 points costs $13.50. I don't see an easier way of obtaining it.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
$30 worth of eRewards will get 1000 pts.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
my

Suggestion would be to do the reward network dining thing.. I think u have to spend 25$ at a restaurant though and it might take a while.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
Also look up million mile secrets for reserving a room with cash +points then canceling the room should get you some points for cash
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wise2u
http://newgirlintheair.wordpress.com/ has link to 500 points worth of quizes (with answers)...points post near instantly.
Coke rewards had 500 and 2000 PC redemptions a few days ago, might not be sold out....only good if you have at least 160 coke points for the 500 point reward. 630 points for the 2000 point reward.
Well mates, Thank you SOO much!!

All the methods shown here by all posters are great ones and I did not even know (but should have) that dining is one of them. I may use it since in my experience they actually do tend to post within 2-3 weeks.

That said, I did the quoted posters ideas first and I have done 2 of the 3 surveys found so I could only get 100 points but hey that's something! And then I went to the coke thing, which I am new at but had 250 points, and voila! Got 500 more PC!

8 Jan 2012 PRIORITY CLUB BONUS VOUCHER 500 pts.
500 pts.
8 Jan 2012 EARLY ENGAGEMENT BONUS OFFER 100 pts.
100 pts.

Now I am literally 150 PC points short of goal.

Now I know one can buy for points and I might just do that if I must. I know there's even back door ways sometimes (as referred by the posted above hehe--which I HAVE done to get to this point in fact!). But I will first try dining. Dont have e rewards and was under the impression it's scammy, and even if it set it up tomorrow I may not have enough er $ to send over. I have no idea though, nor do I know how long it would take to post.

but yeah, the above activity posted RIGHT AWAY!!!

that's like... HOW it should work! The total oposite of Cartera and the airline malls. This is what computers are FOR! I am like... like... ya know?

Ok. so... now I will dine and if it posts in time I am in. If not, I will probably end up buying.

I need 30k to start my goal. I find in some cases the off season location of where I will be can still be bookable within only a couple weeks of stay, but yeah, to be safe I may need to jump the gun here. Long story but money had already been spent so that's why I was less inclined to buy anything else--but I still may end up doing it.

So thanks again all and I will report back!

If I can grab 150 points somewhere or if I buy or do something else, you will know.

MM
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

'course there IS one more silly question (maybe not silly if this is like SPG)

Can I like combine or transfer in the mere 400 PC points in me wife's acct? She got em doing the quizzes once.

Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

orrrr...

if one can redeem a same coke reward twice...

the 2k one was sold out the 500 was avail so I redeemed 160 coke points for it and it worked.

Now I have 90 points left. If I buy 7 cases of diet Coke, which my wife happens to drink anyway (at a slightly slower rate lol) then I would have a new 160!

I will try it, or ask the my coke rewards thread if anyone there would try this:

to see if using MY PC number in THEIR reward redemption would actually generate a code I can use!

Who knows.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the help!!

While buying points was an option, I discovered that I could transfer them between accts for a lesser fee. Then my wife, who has her own 600 points from mere quizes called PC with me just now and for NO FEE they moved her 600 to my account. I now have just over the 30k PC I needed and that is that!

Love it!

I am happy to see things work this way... Help and sharing from FTers (You are good ones, unlike some of those who have been hatin' on me in my newest milesbuzz thread) and also to see the whole system of marketing and points movement work quickly and with relative ease.

Cheers!

MM
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 75K
Getting free 300 points

Here's a very quick and easy promo to get 300 points: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...club-points-3/

My points posted within 1-2 days.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allensun
Here's a very quick and easy promo to get 300 points: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...club-points-3/

My points posted within 1-2 days.
thank you!

Well I had already done those and so had my wife. She had 600pts in her acct and as said above we transferred them to mine fee free.

Here's what I had to do anyway:

Had 19,250 in my acct.

Did a back door cash&pts and cancel and got it to 29,250 for $60.

Did coke rewards 160 coke pts = 500 PC insta post! Brings it to 29,750

Did one of the surveys I guess I had missed (and had tried all others but found I had done them already, getting this note on each: You have already answered the quiz questions. Thank you for your participation. Keep your eyes open for our next bonus offer!) And brought acct to 29,850.

Found out I can transfer for what I thought would be just $5 to bring pts from wife's acct to mine but it was free when we both called in. She had 600. I now had 30,450.

Booked room at a Boston hotel we want to stay at... every 6 weeks or so me wife and I wish to steal away, leave the kids with family and do a night on the town. I like to use points for this and test out new hotels we have never been to. I have HH, SPG and those PC but had never actually been in a nice PC hotel before. So this was a chance to go to one where we had been to a wedding years ago and wished to stay there! So i chose it. It was 40k pts or 30k + $60.

You could purchase a room from just $243 but that had restrictions on rooms and also big fees to cancel. If you bought a non restricted room it was $320 or so. SO my method of spending just $120 got it done instead!

Needed to set it up now cuz we are doing this in early Feb. And it worked thanks to this thread.

I now have 450 PC pts... in an acct I had not used anyway.

MM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.