Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Does the RA referral certificates always come with the pack or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2007, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW Gold, Star Gold

Some people say they always come with the welcome pack, others are telling me sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't...

Is there no rule with this? Surely it should not be up to whether the person at IC feels like adding a cert to the pack or not on that specific day...?
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:06 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
In my experience for the last 3 years or so, it is always in the kit. It was still in the welcome kits as of early October for myself (requalified RA) and my flatmate (referred).
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
It should always be present in the kit for an RA member who has (re)qualified by staying.

In theory, the certificates should not be present in the case of a referred member, but it seems to be included in most cases, so a referred member can refer another member. There are myriad threads about this; my feeling is that IC should stop sending referral certificates for people who did not earn their membership through stays.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 12:22 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by vsevolod4
It should always be present in the kit for an RA member who has (re)qualified by staying.

In theory, the certificates should not be present in the case of a referred member, but it seems to be included in most cases, so a referred member can refer another member. There are myriad threads about this; my feeling is that IC should stop sending referral certificates for people who did not earn their membership through stays.
What theory? Please post the link.

The answer to the Op's question is a simple "yes - they should be in the box".

Last edited by uk1; Nov 11, 2007 at 12:30 pm
Old Nov 11, 2007, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K; HH Diamond;
More than a little sanctimonious, don't you think? The OP wasn't asking for your opinion, but rather your experience as to whether the referral is included or not.

Geeezzz....

Originally Posted by uk1
What theory? Please post the link.
The answer to the Op's question is a simple "yes - they should be in the box".

They "should" be in the box? More precise language would say, "...IME it IS in the box..."

Bottom line: Is there anyone here who has NOT received a referral certificate in their RA package?
Old Nov 12, 2007, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Silver, EB Silver, RR Silver.
Hello, a friend of mine wants to pass me his RA ref. but he is already an ref. RA, so would PC refuse me to be RA since my friend is not a hard earned RA?

Thanks!
Old Nov 12, 2007, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by thesimflyer
Hello, a friend of mine wants to pass me his RA ref. but he is already an ref. RA, so would PC refuse me to be RA since my friend is not a hard earned RA?
Thanks!
No, you should have no problem.
That’s why the Ref is there, to refer someone!
Old Nov 12, 2007, 6:24 am
uk1
Suspended

Thanks!
I'm puzzled - aren't you an RA already?
Old Nov 12, 2007, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by uk1
I'm puzzled - aren't you an RA already?
Yes, but just in case im gonna drop to a regular amb.

You always has to have a backup
Old Nov 12, 2007, 7:16 am
uk1
Suspended

Yes, but just in case im gonna drop to a regular amb.

You always has to have a backup

IC currently do not track through printed numbers on any certs ie weekend or refferal. They sometimes - it appears purely random - ask people where their cert came from. There doesn't appear to be a pattern. There is more likely to be a problem as a result of being a bumped RA asking to be reinstated as a result of a refferal cert than through problems from the source of the cert. So in your situation you may be right to be concerned but may be worrried about the wrong thing.

You may want to have a partner or close friend have a new ambassador membership opened to receive the cert. When you are dumped, you'll receive a new Ambassador membership complimentary for a year with a free weekend cert. The "friends" membership will receive the ambassador benefits, then the RA pack. That route may be better for you.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
my feeling is that IC should stop sending referral certificates for people who did not earn their membership through stays.
Why should they? It's a cheap and easy way to create customer loyalty.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by uk1
IC currently do not track through printed numbers on any certs ie weekend or refferal. They sometimes - it appears purely random - ask people where their cert came from. There doesn't appear to be a pattern. There is more likely to be a problem as a result of being a bumped RA asking to be reinstated as a result of a refferal cert than through problems from the source of the cert. So in your situation you may be right to be concerned but may be worrried about the wrong thing.

You may want to have a partner or close friend have a new ambassador membership opened to receive the cert. When you are dumped, you'll receive a new Ambassador membership complimentary for a year with a free weekend cert. The "friends" membership will receive the ambassador benefits, then the RA pack. That route may be better for you.
Thanks! Yes, i will try with your idea, i thought about it tho.. but my son, who is 17, and travels quite alot, and i think he would really appreciate being an RA since he is doing quite well at high school.. but, as i said, he is 17, and i know that to be a member of PC you will have to be 18 or older, is it, by any chance, that he can be a member, but put my credit card on his profile?

Thanks again
Old Nov 12, 2007, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks! Yes, i will try with your idea, i thought about it tho.. but my son, who is 17, and travels quite alot, and i think he would really appreciate being an RA since he is doing quite well at high school.. but, as i said, he is 17, and i know that to be a member of PC you will have to be 18 or older, is it, by any chance, that he can be a member, but put my credit card on his profile?

Thanks again
So does your son travel a lot alone and stay at hotels?
Old Nov 12, 2007, 3:26 pm

Well, he flyes every month between norway and spain, since our family is quite spread out between thoose 2 countries, and then when we have both holiday we go with the entire family to visit other countries or by himself.. He is quite mature, so no problem with that. The "problem" is that, he never wants to take the direct MAD-OSL-MAD route on SK since he then accrues less miles/points
When it comes to check-in at the hotel, he then needs to present my printed passport and then a letter authorizing him to stay there, and there is never a problem.
PS: His travel pattern has changed since he know prefers to overnight in FRA since this month, so know i have to figure out how he can be a "loyal" member at the ICs. Any solutions?

Thanks!

Last edited by thesimflyer; Nov 12, 2007 at 3:33 pm
Old Nov 12, 2007, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have a PM, the thesimflyer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.