Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC The Willard Washington Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ICH Ambassador, HH Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, UA Premier, AA, Marriott Bonvoy
Talking

I have not been to them all, maybe 15 IC's and would include the Willard as one of very best experiences. I felt pretty "Royal".
Old Jan 16, 2007, 2:35 am

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Am only Ambassador, so not quite Royalty :-) Have two upcoming reservations at the Willard. Any insights as to who to contact for upgrades, etc? Have emailed their general email address but no response yet after two days.
Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
My experience on 3 stays @ Willard has been the 2-room suite with the 2 bathrooms, the foyer larger than your typical Tokyo apartment, two minibars (a great benny for RAs if entertaining ... includes Moet), a bottle of wine as the RA gift, and outstanding service.

As a bonus, the room is on the back end of the hotel; if you look out the window you will see a Barnes and Noble (or is it Brentanos?) across the street with a T-Mobile hotspot so you don't need to pay the high Internet fees. I do understand that it's SOP of 4 Seasons, Ritz, Mandarin Oriental and similar hotels to charge for Internet, and that IC (certainly this one) follows suit. However, I also do like not having to pay for Internet :-)

Last edited by vsevolod4; Jan 16, 2007 at 9:29 am
Old Jan 16, 2007, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
My recent Willard stay

Stayed at the Willard over the weekend. Stayed as a lowly Ambassador (nothing Royal about me...) and have to say that while it was a nice stay, it wasn't as impressive as posts that I've read would have led me to believe.

Somehow, I seem to have bad IC karma, having to ask for every Ambassador benefit at the Buckhead 2 weekends ago instead of being granted them automatically (see prior posts). When I checked in at the Willard at about 530pm on a Saturday, I was greeted by a somewhat grumpy check-in clerk who informed me that she had upgraded me to a King Deluxe. I very politely remarked that I had in fact reserved a King Deluxe but unfortunately didn't print out my reservation email to prove it. She bluntly stated that "my system shows that you reserved a King Superior room, and I upgraded you". At that point I just stated I'd check my email when I got to my room and call down to have my room switched if in fact I had reserved a King Deluxe; she didn't budge. Maybe she thought I was trying to scam them out of a room upgrade, I can't think of why she wouldn't have just taken my word for it.

Lo and behold, I was correct. I called down and stated that I had my reservation in front of me online and I had indeed booked a King Deluxe. She said she would have to check with her manager, called me back after about 5 minutes, and made it a point to reiterate that her system showed I had reserved a King Superior but she was going to do me a favor and upgrade me to a King Premier. It was a decent room with a pretty cool view of the ellipse and about 3/8 of the Washington Monument, but the whole experience kind of left me with a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth.

Other than my check in, and (discussed below) my check-out experience, there was nothing inadequate about my stay, and the hotel was pretty lavishly appointed -- not really my style but I could still appreciate it for what it is. I ate in one of the restaurants once and the food was fantastic; slowly prepared (took about 40 minutes and there were only 3 tables occupied at the cafe), but delicious nonetheless; the staff there were very charming and I occupied myself reading the Sunday paper. In fact, everyone I encountered except for the staff at the registration desk were very pleasant-- however, when I went to check out, a different clerk assisted me with checkout and was just as grumpy as the woman who checked me in. Perhaps it's because I am young, was travelling on a government rate and they are so used to dealing with more high-powered, older clientele who perhaps pay higher rates? That's the only thing I can guess. Either that or I just encountered 2 hotel clerks that were having bad days.

Any ideas?

-z
Old Jan 16, 2007, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K; HH Diamond;
similar experience on room "upgrade"

I just left the Williard (lowly IC ambassador...) after a short stay and likewise was "upgraded" to the room type I had reserved. I wasn't certain on which room was considered the better. Their venacular requires study: Superior < Deluxe.

I didn't press the issue; I've been happy with the "deluxe" room, although the view of the Press Bldg or the JW Marriott probably could be improved on.

Next stay I'll make a point ensuring my upgraded is a class above the room I in fact booked.

And I've never run into any staff member that could come close to being described as grumpy ... all first class.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM; Hilton Diamond; IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by vsevolod4

As a bonus, the room is on the back end of the hotel; if you look out the window you will see a Barnes and Noble (or is it Brentanos?) across the street with a T-Mobile hotspot so you don't need to pay the high Internet fees. . . .
It's a Borders! BTW, where are there still Brentanos? The one in MEM closed a number of years ago. I used to like that chain; is it still around?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you supposed to get an upgrade above whatever you book as an ambassador, or is there a cap?

In the old SCC program it used to be capped at superior or deluxe (IIRC), but the terms and conditions under Ambassador don't say (which suggests that you get a one cat. upgrade no matter what).
Old Jan 23, 2007, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Three in a row with the "deluxe" upgrades. I got the same line myself. First I was told that I had reserved a superior and got upgraded to a deluxe, then when I presented a copy of my confirmation, I was told that I had been upgraded to a bigger deluxe - that was the AMB upgrade.

The agent said that some deluxes are bigger than others (despite the fact that the size of the room - 425sq ft - is guaranteed in the room description on your confirmation).

I'm going to take it up with someone higher to get a more definitive answer on the hotel policy. As it stands, the no upgrade sold as an upgrade would put this hotel on my "do not stay" list; for RAs it's still a very good deal.

Update: This appears to be a disconnect between the Web site reservations system and the hotel's in-house system. It seems that some deluxes booked on the Web are indeed showing up in their computers as superiors, thus they (re)upgrade AMBs to a deluxe.

Last edited by Doppy; Jan 27, 2007 at 10:51 pm
Old Jan 23, 2007, 5:48 pm

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum
Here is the reply I received from the Willard for some questions before my stay a couple weeks ago:

1. Please state your upgrade policy for Ambassadors.
Ambassador members will be upgrades to a nicer room. We try to upgrade to the next room category.

2. Please state your upgrade policy for "Royal" Ambassadors,
Royal Ambassador will be upgraded to a Willard Room.

highlighting any difference from normal Ambassadors.
An ambassador will have to book a premiere room in order to receive a complimentary upgrade to a Willard Room.

3. Please state your free Minibar policy for Royal Ambassadors; includes hard liquor, snacks?
The free minibar only includes beverages.

4. If your property has "Executive floors" or "Club Floors" , what is the difference between "Executive" floors, "Club" floors and standard floors? Are Executive floors the same as Club floors?
We do not have a Club InterContinental or executive floor.

5. For non-Ambassador members, what is the standard supplement for lounge/ Club Intercontinental access? Is the lounge access Discounted or complimentary for Ambassador or Royal Ambassador?
N/A

6. Would it be possible to provide a picture of the floor plan for standard floors, and floors with suites?
You will find the suite floor plan on our hotel's home page. You will also find a description of our Willard room.

7. Could you please provide a link to the hotel's home page, not just standard IC hotels site.
<http://www.washington.interconti.com>
www.washington.interconti.com

8. In additional to the normal Priority Club or Ambassador program, does your hotel offer any special membership plan?
Not on the hotel side, we do have a membership program affiliated with our food and beverage outlet.

9. Are Ambassador and Royal Ambassador benefits available on award stays?
Yes, they are.

Guest Relations Manager
WILLARD INTERCONTINENTAL
WASHINGTON, DC
1401 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20004-1010
Tel: (202) 628 9100
Fax: (202) 637 7326
Old Jan 23, 2007, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ICH Ambassador, HH Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, UA Premier, AA, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Jet2K
Here is the reply I received from the Willard for some questions before my stay a couple weeks ago:

1. Please state your upgrade policy for Ambassadors.
Ambassador members will be upgrades to a nicer room. We try to upgrade to the next room category.

2. Please state your upgrade policy for "Royal" Ambassadors,
Royal Ambassador will be upgraded to a Willard Room.

highlighting any difference from normal Ambassadors.
An ambassador will have to book a premiere room in order to receive a complimentary upgrade to a Willard Room.

3. Please state your free Minibar policy for Royal Ambassadors; includes hard liquor, snacks?
The free minibar only includes beverages.

4. If your property has "Executive floors" or "Club Floors" , what is the difference between "Executive" floors, "Club" floors and standard floors? Are Executive floors the same as Club floors?
We do not have a Club InterContinental or executive floor.

5. For non-Ambassador members, what is the standard supplement for lounge/ Club Intercontinental access? Is the lounge access Discounted or complimentary for Ambassador or Royal Ambassador?
N/A

6. Would it be possible to provide a picture of the floor plan for standard floors, and floors with suites?
You will find the suite floor plan on our hotel's home page. You will also find a description of our Willard room.

7. Could you please provide a link to the hotel's home page, not just standard IC hotels site.
<http://www.washington.interconti.com>
www.washington.interconti.com

8. In additional to the normal Priority Club or Ambassador program, does your hotel offer any special membership plan?
Not on the hotel side, we do have a membership program affiliated with our food and beverage outlet.

9. Are Ambassador and Royal Ambassador benefits available on award stays?
Yes, they are.

Guest Relations Manager
WILLARD INTERCONTINENTAL
WASHINGTON, DC
1401 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20004-1010
Tel: (202) 628 9100
Fax: (202) 637 7326

This is great! If you have a moment would you query each of the IC hotels around the world similarly?
Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Internet access should be FREE at any hotel, just like television. Paying $10 a month when there are many ISPs that only charge $10 for a whole month is a rip-off. Get a BlackBerry phone with e-mail or buy a laptop with a wireless card and go to a public area. It beats paying these stupid charges.

If I'm paying $100 or more a night for a room, I expect free internet.
Just stayed there again; lovely as usual.

Guess what ... there is free Internet on the National Mall and park areas outside the hotel ... and most areas inside the hotel can catch the hotspot:

You have successfully connected to the Internet through the Open Park Project. Our mission is to bring free wireless Internet access to the public on the National Mall and nearby parks using WiFi (Wireless Fidelity) transmission standards.

CLICK HERE to begin browsing the web.

This hotspot provides service to Pershing Park (on the north side of Pennsylvania Ave, between 14th and 15th Streets NW) and to portions of Freedom Plaza the block long open space to the east of the park between 13th & 14th Streets, NW. This plaza was renamed to honor of Martin Luther King, Jr., who worked on his famous "I Have a Dream" speech at the nearby Willard Hotel. Freedom Plaza is inlaid with parts of Pierre L'Enfant's city plan and was originally known as Western Plaza.
Above is the splash page.

Only problem is that it seems to block outbound SMTP emails; I had to VPN into my mail server or use Web mail to send.

Copyright © 2005 The Open Park Project. All Rights Reserved.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 5:08 am

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by Zhaunk
We had a wonderful stay at the Willard last April (2004). I was an Ambassador at the time and used a free night cert. The room was very large and the bed was divine. They had stands of cherry blossom branches placed throughout the lobby and lining "Peacock Avenue", an interior promenade. The eponymous restaurant was delightful. I look forward to returning.

You might look into seeing the comedy troupe "The Capitol Steps", a block away on Pennsylvania Ave. in the Reagan building, if they are performing. Very funny bi-partisan political humor.

Does anyone know if the Capitol Steps are still performing, and if so what nights? Website address for show also very welcome. Trying to forward plan a visit later this year. Which times of year are best to visit DC and if these are not the same times, when is a good time to visit the Willard and get a good upgrade as a RA? Thanks
Old Apr 1, 2007, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K; HH Diamond;
Capitol Steps are indeed playing "Fri and Sat nights year round"

http://www.capsteps.com/live/

My experience show that upgrades at the IC Willard are easiest to get on Fri - Sat nights. Sun would be next. More difficult on Mon - Thurs nights. Many, many business customers (read: expense account) during the week and not too many open rooms/suites.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 2:36 am

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Parking

Is there self-park at the Willard? Or is it just valet? Anyone?
Old Apr 6, 2007, 1:22 pm
PD

Originally Posted by choptliva
Is there self-park at the Willard? Or is it just valet? Anyone?
Valet parking only for the hotel. I don't know if there are any self-parking garages in the area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.