Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best IHG Hotel in Chicago for Leisure Trip?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Best IHG Hotel in Chicago for Leisure Trip?

Hi all,

A few friends and I will be traveling to Chicago for a short vacation at the end of the year, and I'm curious as to which IHG property in Chicago is the best for a young adult leisure trip.

We're planning on doing the touristy stuff (Navy Pier, Magnificent Mile, etc.), but are also interested in nightlife. We're into staying out late, so I was hoping for some recommendations that were in/close to lively areas or 24-hour mass transit (red line?).

Rates look good, so all properties are within our price range (including the IC) for this trip. So far, we're considering the IC, Holiday Inn Chicago-Mart Plaza River North, and the Hotel Indigo (looks close to Rush Street). I'm not too familiar with nightlife in Chicago, so I was hoping for some pointers.

Thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Intercontinental hands down. Stately old hotel with a magnificent pool close to the red line.
Djlawman likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sleuth
Intercontinental hands down. Stately old hotel with a magnificent pool close to the red line.
Thank you for the response! This was sort of my line of thinking. The Holiday Inn looks nice, but it's farther from the Red Line. The IC looks convenient and is located in a good area. I didn't know about the pool -- that is a huge added bonus!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
I've stayed at both the Indigo and the IC. Indigo gave me a great upgrade to their top floor suite but IC is closer to the action. It's handy for The Magnificent Mile plus there are loads of decent restaurants in the vicinity.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrsW
I've stayed at both the Indigo and the IC. Indigo gave me a great upgrade to their top floor suite but IC is closer to the action. It's handy for The Magnificent Mile plus there are loads of decent restaurants in the vicinity.
Good to hear, thank you. It's looking like the IC is the way to go. Their rates are tremendously reasonable (for an IC, IMHO) for the time we're going, so I'll probably go ahead and book with them.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I really regret staying in Chicago a few months back, and not picking the IC
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Super Mario
I really regret staying in Chicago a few months back, and not picking the IC
Sold! IC it is! Just booked two nights for under $300!
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:37 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Hi all,

A few friends and I will be traveling to Chicago for a short vacation at the end of the year, and I'm curious as to which IHG property in Chicago is the best for a young adult leisure trip.

We're planning on doing the touristy stuff (Navy Pier, Magnificent Mile, etc.), but are also interested in nightlife. We're into staying out late, so I was hoping for some recommendations that were in/close to lively areas or 24-hour mass transit (red line?).

Rates look good, so all properties are within our price range (including the IC) for this trip. So far, we're considering the IC, Holiday Inn Chicago-Mart Plaza River North, and the Hotel Indigo (looks close to Rush Street). I'm not too familiar with nightlife in Chicago, so I was hoping for some pointers.

Thanks!
Well, by nightlife for young adults, I'm assuming you're talking about bars and restaurants. Rush St used to have a very diverse assortment of entertainment, but now it seems to be expensive restaurants and bars with expensive drinks. Fewer places with live music, comedy, they even had a strip (excuse me-gentlemen's) club. So, as always, it depends on what you like.

But, you can't go wrong with the IC on Michigan; the Red Line is a few blocks west and in the winter, you'll find walking a bit of a challenge, especially on those cold windy nights.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rbAA
Well, by nightlife for young adults, I'm assuming you're talking about bars and restaurants. Rush St used to have a very diverse assortment of entertainment, but now it seems to be expensive restaurants and bars with expensive drinks. Fewer places with live music, comedy, they even had a strip (excuse me-gentlemen's) club. So, as always, it depends on what you like.

But, you can't go wrong with the IC on Michigan; the Red Line is a few blocks west and in the winter, you'll find walking a bit of a challenge, especially on those cold windy nights.
Yes, you're describing exactly what we're looking for! I've heard that Division closer to the lake has some good spots for food and drink. I also heard that the west side is starting to see some new places open up, too. I was planning on hitting up Rush St. (at least to see the iconic places), but it sounds like that's not as good an area to bank on anymore. Do you have any general areas to recommend?

Oh, and we definitely plan on hitting up Second City!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Thank you for the response! This was sort of my line of thinking. The Holiday Inn looks nice, but it's farther from the Red Line. The IC looks convenient and is located in a good area. I didn't know about the pool -- that is a huge added bonus!
The pool has its own webpage.

https://www.icchicagohotel.com/explore/indoor-pool
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:55 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Yes, you're describing exactly what we're looking for! I've heard that Division closer to the lake has some good spots for food and drink. I also heard that the west side is starting to see some new places open up, too. I was planning on hitting up Rush St. (at least to see the iconic places), but it sounds like that's not as good an area to bank on anymore. Do you have any general areas to recommend?

Oh, and we definitely plan on hitting up Second City!
Old Town is definitely a good choice, with more entertainment and more reasonable drinking establishments.

Though, the Redhead Piano Bar is still cool and mellow. And nearby is Bubbles, a champagne oriented bar but they have a younger crowd still.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
If anyone books the Chicago HI Mart Plaza thinking a skyline view would be nice, beware. This is going up directly south of the hotel, eliminating that possibility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.