Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Budapest Master Thread (Archive Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2004, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
IC Budapest Master Thread (Archive Thread)

Good day fellow FTers... Any comments on the IC Budapest? Spending 2 nights at the end of this month. Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Was in Budapest last week, but not at the IC. It looks like a decent property, more modern than the horrendous Marriott next door or the Sofitel behind it. It is on the bank of the Danube and most rooms seem to have river views. Good position to walk across the chain bridge to Castle Hill or for the city centre shopping, which is about 2 mins walk away.

Recommended bar .... Negro (in the square in the front of the Basilica) - as modern as anything in London with a wide range of Euro 3 champagne cocktails. Opposite is a funky restaurant called Leroy which will do you a very good, very well presented meal for about Euro 15.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your input RJB. Very much appreciated ^ .
Old Nov 17, 2004, 4:48 pm

Programs: Flying Blue life Platinum , *A Gold ,PC Plat. IC Royal Ambassador , SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
Good day fellow FTers... Any comments on the IC Budapest? Spending 2 nights at the end of this month. Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.
I was there 3 nights in last april. Upgraded JS, RIVER VIEW, fine, IC standards , good service ; restaurant average.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 4:40 am

Programs: LH SEN, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Plat, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
would stay there again

I was there during april 2004. Perfect location, nice danube view from the Club Lounge, excellent food in the lounge, rooms are small but in good condition.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. Always appreciated... ^
Old Nov 20, 2004, 7:33 am

Programs: IHG RA - PC Plat - SPG Plat - Hilton Diamond - Sixt Plat
Was there in Sept.
Booked the cheapest room and got a small one, but the view was exactely as in the postcards sold in the city!:-)
Hotel is not the most modern in the city but good quality. Also in Budapest stayed at the Kempinski (great service and location but avoid last floor rooms as they are super noisy) and in Hilton West End where rooms are super big.
Hope you'll enjoy there.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 12:33 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
IC Budapest Review

I have just spend the weekend at the IC Budapest as an RA and I was very satisfied.

It is a nice location, situatied on the danube river, near the Szechenyi bridge, with the best view the historic monuments.

I arrivied by plane and the bus (200), followed by the metro ride (400 HUF - about 1,5 EUR) and a little walk for 2 minutes took me to the hotel. There is also the minibus for (2300 HUF) available, which brings you and other people to the hotels.

I booked a standard room with the 2 for 1 promo for 45 EUR per night. Including tax the 2 night had cost me 110,70 EUR !! A great value for a great IC. I got a room upgrade to the Queens Club river side room, which was great because of the beautiful view the the castle. Also got a free upgrade to the club, which includes the breakfast and the snacks at evining.

The staff is very helpfully and all of the staffs speaks german. Of course english as well. Service was very good.

I good every day a fruit platter and the mineral water. The present was a local red wine and fine pralines. Also recieved a greeting letter from the hotel manager, which describes also the RA and Club benefits.

The minibar was stocked every day and includes nonalcoholics and alcoholics, also snack like chocolade and pringels.

The club lounge is located at the 9th floor, also view a good view to the historical monuments.

The selection of food and drinking is very good. For breakfast you will be asked for your egg selection, what you want to have.

At evening there are warm and cold snacks, always very tasty.

Overall a very good hotel, I enjoyed my stay and I will definitly come back.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 2:40 am

Programs: SQ PPS, IC RA, AAdv Plat
I concur.

This is a great hotel in a great location in a great city.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 4:52 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Normal for taxes: 77 Euro!

Hi,

I just had a looked at the estimated rate, and saw that the taxes came to a total of 77 Euro! Is that normal?

317,00 € EUR
per night (1 room(s))
Extra Persons Charge / Night 20,00 € EUR
Total Tax † 77,51 € EUR
Estimated Total Price †: 414,51 € EUR

Old Jun 29, 2007, 5:14 am

I concur as well.... good hotel...
Old Jun 29, 2007, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

I just had a looked at the estimated rate, and saw that the taxes came to a total of 77 Euro! Is that normal?

317,00 € EUR
per night (1 room(s))
Extra Persons Charge / Night 20,00 € EUR
Total Tax † 77,51 € EUR
Estimated Total Price †: 414,51 € EUR

Sounds about right. Checked out today, and on a room rate of c.HUF 33500 there was VAT at HUF 6700 (20%) and a HUF 1000 tourism tax per night.

Interesting to see the room rate change every night for four nights - the rate was 137 Euro, i've never noticed forex-related changes like this before

I contacted the Club Lounge in advance, RA upgrade was a choice between a club room or a regular suite - I went for the suite (Room 610) and was impressed with the size of the living room and awesome Danube view. Decor a bit dated but a great hotel at a great rate.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Hungary seems to be one of the countries where virtually all hotels quote their prices ex-VAT (although prices are supposed to include VAT). In this case, IC is following local practice. However, in the UK, only IC quotes ex-VAT, while every competitor I've checked includes VAT, as they are supposed to. I find that behavior deceitful.

Back to BUD. Stayed there most recently late May 2007 for 2 nights, 199 Euro (plus VAT) rate, got upgraded to a junior suite (not really much of a suite) but with Club access, with nice Danubian view.

Location is great. Hotel services OK, although I don't like the style of the hotel (and IC Praha) with their Soviet-era construction. And I lament the fact that IC has been shedding the majority of its "classic" style historic properties in Europe and settling on nondescript, cookie-cutter, characterless metal-and-glass towers. Incidentally my favorite hotel (though more $$$) is the 4 Seasons Gresham Palace Hotel, which is adjacent to the IC. Beautiful hundred-year-old Art Nouveau masterpiece. Stop by there (it's right at the foot of the chain bridge, so if you're walking from the IC across the river, it's right on your way) and gawk at the beautiful detail, the stained glass, the liquid-look detail.

Concierge services good with restaurant reservations, etc. (favorite is Vadrosza)

On transportation, a total screw-up with picking me up at the train station. Basically, instead of picking me up at 16:30 they had organized it for 6:30 pm. And then it was a circus (think Fawlty Towers). And pickup charge is ridiculously high at 25 Euro, while return trip to train station is cheap at about 6.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 3:34 pm

Programs: IC RA, LHW LC
IC Budapest Master Thread [merged]

I never stayed at this property but would like to try it out.

What is the difference between the suites in the house ??

I once visited and asked them to show me a suite and they led me
to a rather small sized accomodation which had a sitting area
separated from the bedroom by a two sliding door and a very small
and tired looking bathroom. Great view at least.

I thought that was a very small room to be a 'full suite' as in fact
it felt smaller as a normal guestroom at the Gresham.

Are there any larger suites than that ? The guy said there is no
higher category than this one except the Presidential - has anyone
stayed in the Pres there and how is it like ??

Tx
Old Jul 28, 2007, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Was the suite that you were shown one of the number 10 ending ones?

BTW I am writing this from the Club Lounge at the IC Praha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.