Wiki Posts
Search

Points for F&B without staying?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Points for F&B without staying?

I'd like to know if one just went an IHG hotel (specifically, IC in UK intended) and dine in a (non-third-party) restaurant/lounge there, will any points be awarded for the F&B spending? Rewards club dining not enrolled.

Thank you and please excuse me if it's a duplicate.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by watery
I'd like to know if one just went an IHG hotel (specifically, IC in UK intended) and dine in a (non-third-party) restaurant/lounge there, will any points be awarded for the F&B spending? Rewards club dining not enrolled.

No you only earn points if staying in a room, whether on a paid qual night or award night.... even paid non-qual night if booked through official IHG channel.
I believe (ymmv) that for 3rd party OTA booked nights, f+b is non-points earning officially.

Frustrating for some IHGers come late December when eg 200 points short of 40k for platinum or 75k for Spire, as then need book a local $100 night cheap room and check in, rather than buy a cheaper $20 meal/bar-tab
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
As far as I know, only Japan Hotel can earn Rewards Club Point for F&B without staying.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:07 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scubaccr
No you only earn points if staying in a room
US Residents earn points when dining through IHG Dine and Earn no stay required, while until recently AsiaPac residents could earn through IHG Dining Rewards, which is now discontinued thanks to its organisation resembling a dogs breakfast!
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by markis10
US Residents earn points when dining through IHG Dine and Earn no stay required, while until recently AsiaPac residents could earn through IHG Dining Rewards, which is now discontinued thanks to its organisation resembling a dogs breakfast!
I have never heard of that, and could find no information about it.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I have never heard of that, and could find no information about it.
https://m.ihgrewardsclubdining.rewardsnetwork.com
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
As I thought, this is the Rewards Network scheme, which is NOT the same as earning dining points at IHG properties as a non-guest.
Old May 7, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan

i've done this, but you have to convince the hotel to open a folio for you. i've done it at two IC properties, the Willard in DC, and a now former IC in Panama at the beachside, the Playa Bonita, that become Secrets, and more recently Dreams Playa Bonita Resort.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
i've done this, but you have to convince the hotel to open a folio for you. i've done it at two IC properties, the Willard in DC, and a now former IC in Panama at the beachside, the Playa Bonita, that become Secrets, and more recently Dreams Playa Bonita Resort.
And a large bill / event would go a long way to help with the convincing.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
Thanks, unfortunately I asked about it when I reserve the table, and they replied negative already. Spending wouldn't be significant to chase for special arrangement.

Thank you all for the input, at least I'm well aware not receiving is the norm.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As far as I am aware, only Starwood has such a non-guest scheme.
Old May 16, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Thanks, unfortunately I asked about it when I reserve the table, and they replied negative already. Spending wouldn't be significant to chase for special arrangement.

Thank you all for the input, at least I'm well aware not receiving is the norm.
in the two instances where they did open a folio, it was done at the front desk, not at the restaurant.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
As far as I am aware, only Starwood has such a non-guest scheme.
Hyatt has a program to allow non-guests to acquire points on dining. Sometimes it works, sometimes it backfires.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:28 pm

Come and think of it, was there not a limited trial by Marriott last year? Wonder how that turned out and if they will be implementing this on a bigger scale. Not that straight forward though as many onsite restaurants are just renting spaces and are totally unaffiliated with the hotel. In other cases, the location is a mixed-use development and the property (hotel) themselves are just one of the many tenants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.