Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Sydney Master Thread (Archive Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
My review

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13077374-post3165.html
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:27 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Lifetime P, IC RA, Hyatt D
Award reservation for 2009 NYE - RA No upgrade. No paid lounge access

I am writing this from the club lounge at Westin Sydney.

I am in Sydney for the amazing New Year Eve fireworks. Just found out that both CP Darling Harbour and IC are open up for point redemption on NYE(They were not available in the last month or so). I got really excited because both properties offer great view for fireworks.

Grabbed the IC for city view point redemption room (non-cancelable) on 12/31. Called the hotel and, after a long hold on my international roaming mobile phone, was told that no upgrade will be given to this reservation, even for RAs. I offered to pay for club access and was denied as well. "If you want to watch fireworks, you can go down to the street and watch them there." Ouch!

Now, I am stuck with a room with no view of fireworks. Should have stayed in my 27 floor Westin room (which has the same view as the lounge) where I can, at least from a distance, still see the fireworks.

Oh, for those who are also in Sydney for NYE, the Sydney Marriott is also available (for both revenue and award reservations) on 12/31. All SPG properties are fully booked.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:44 am

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
Originally Posted by InterContinental Sydney
Family & Friends rate technically don't qualify for upgrades.
That's definitely not the norm. Every IC I've stayed at using the F&F rate honors upgrades for ambassadors and RAs.

This plus TravellerOnline's and nicholas75's experiences tell me that the IC Sydney is a place that avoids giving out upgrades whenever possible. Looks like I'll be avoiding the IC Sydney until some of the policies are changed.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:05 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mister__big
This plus TravellerOnline's and nicholas75's experiences tell me that the IC Sydney is a place that avoids giving out upgrades whenever possible. Looks like I'll be avoiding the IC Sydney until some of the policies are changed.
IC Sydney has never let me down with upgrades despite having deep discount rates most times, as to having an issue with not getting an upgrade on a rewards night for NYE, give me a break, the hotel along with 9 out of the other 10 ICH hotels are sold out at present, with the average hotel room going for $500+ not even in the city I would be stoked to score a freebie.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by TravellerOnline
"If you want to watch fireworks, you can go down to the street and watch them there." Ouch!

PS: I am currently at Sofitel Sydney.
As Plat member, I was offered an upgrade to a superior room. When I asked the difference between the superior and classic room, the answer was: "oh, there is a sofa in the superior room". Great news.
No internet offered at the business centre (+no wifi in the rooms), no club lounge offered (I had to add AU$ 175 for the club lounge)
Old Dec 30, 2009, 5:03 am
uk1
Suspended

I don't mean to be disloyal but if any FT'er wants an introduction to the GM at Quay Grand then PM me. Consistantly excellent, all-suite hotel, (kitchen, bedroom large lounge with balcony overlooking Circular Quay, and one or two bedrooms) great restaurant for breakfasts and right on Circular Quay.

They always treat people I refer very well!
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mister__big
He has booked , from what I understand, a night using points. Reward nights are quite clearly in the rules as being neither entitled to upgrades nor entitled to free mini bar

That is the policy of the scheme, not a hotel making one up

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Dec 30, 2009 at 3:38 pm
Old Dec 30, 2009, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
He has booked , from what I understand, a night using points. Reward nights are quite clearly in the rules as being neither entitled to upgrades not entitled to free mini bar

Dave
Indeed-delight in your fruit plate and late check-out which seem to be the only benefits that you are entitled to on a points stay!
Old Dec 30, 2009, 5:02 pm

I am not complaining about not getting the free upgrade -- I understand the official policy. Just a bit disappointed that they won't allow me to pay for access to lounge where I can watch fireworks.

Well, I am heading to the hotel in a few hours. Will ask for paying for club access again. Let's see how it goes.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
He has booked , from what I understand, a night using points. Reward nights are quite clearly in the rules as being neither entitled to upgrades nor entitled to free mini bar

Dave
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TravellerOnline
I am not complaining about not getting the free upgrade -- I understand the official policy. Just a bit disappointed that they won't allow me to pay for access to lounge where I can watch fireworks.
The lounge is a finite size and I expect it will be busy with those that have club rooms booked.

Dave
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:54 am

Quick update on the hotel on NYE.

Checked in in the afternoon with a very friendly reception staff. As the hotel promised, no upgrade on award redemption, paid lounge access not available. I asked how many RAs are in the house and was told "a few." And accodrding to the staff, a RA just checked in before me and got no upgrade what so ever.

However, got a bottle of Moet, and full free mini bar -- very good indeed. In fact, the hotel staff I met are very nice, as nice as the wonderful staff at Westin lounge. I guess that's why a lot of hotel management in Asia Pacific chain hotels are from Australia.

The lobby is great. My superior city view room (lowest category) is a standard IC room. Didn't get a chance to go up to the lounge(not allowed). The only bad part is that there is a strange smell in the room (smells like a smoking room). I think I will come back to check out the other room types at some other time.

Went down to the street to watch NYE fireworks. Very spetacular.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: AA Gold . Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum.
Smile

Originally Posted by uk1
I don't mean to be disloyal but if any FT'er wants an introduction to the GM at Quay Grand then PM me. Consistantly excellent, all-suite hotel, (kitchen, bedroom large lounge with balcony overlooking Circular Quay, and one or two bedrooms) great restaurant for breakfasts and right on Circular Quay.

They always treat people I refer very well!
Fantastic hotel, great service.
UK1 recommendation couldnt have been more helpful. ^
Old Jan 1, 2010, 12:55 pm

I checked in on NYE as RA paid $750 for the night and got club upgrade before checkin then on checkin a lovely exec opera house view suite.

the club was paid drinks from 7pm and a spectacular night.
I really love being RA !!

will be booking for next year asap.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 4:56 am

Programs: VA Gold, IML Gold (*G), Accor Gold
Sydney IC and BOGOF privileges

Hi all, this is my first post. I recently purchased ambassador status and have a couple of stays booked, one in Singapore and the other in Sydney.

In Sydney I have booked best flex + breakfast and will use my voucher for the second night. I know the terms and conditions say the voucher is good for the room only so the hotel doesn't have to give me the breakfast on the second night. But, i understand some hotels may still honour the breakfast. Does anyone have any experience of this at Sydney recently?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 1:30 pm
uk1
Suspended

I can't answer your question - but an alternative you might want to look at is booking a room with Club access for your first night. The weekend cert should give you club access for the second night which should include breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.