Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worth checking prices every couple of days!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Worth checking prices every couple of days!

If you've made a flexible booking on IHG and your travel is several weeks or months away, then it's worth having a quick look at prices every few days as they can vary by a huge margin (around 30% in my exerience) for the same room at the same hotel.

I've just cancelled my original booking and made another flexible booking at a considerable cost saving.

I then checked a day later and the prices were up by over 10% compared to my original booking.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
When rates are high compared to average rates, best flexible rate might be the best solution, as generally this rate goes down (sometimes heavily) few days before check-in.

Still, advance rate is generally the safest solution.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I agree that it is worth it to check the rates every couple of days (although a bit annoying). I book the best flexible rate almost all the time and often book several months in advance. In average, I cancel/re-book 2-3 times as the rate decreases up to 30%. Still, I have only seen very minor decreases a few days prior to check-in (and of course rate increases most of the time).
It is now already the second time that a few days after an initial booking for a stay that is more than 6 months ahead, I see significant decreases in the rate?!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
My plan is to convert to a prepaid rate a couple of weeks before I travel - i.e. cancel the flex booking and make a new one on the prepaid rate. I've got the flexible rate to make sure I don't lose the room! I'm actually surprised by how it vares within a day or two by such a large amount.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:03 pm

I booked a "senior" rate at CP London Kings Cross. It's a totally cancelable rate for £104/night. Chances that will come down?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
I booked a "senior" rate at CP London Kings Cross. It's a totally cancelable rate for £104/night. Chances that will come down?
What's a senior rate? 104GBP per night for a London hotel is ridiculously cheap so the chances of that coming down are probably quite low.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:10 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rumbataz
What's a senior rate? 104GBP per night for a London hotel is ridiculously cheap so the chances of that coming down are probably quite low.
AARP I am guessing, unless I am having a seniors moment
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:17 am

Yes, ding ding ding! You are correct. It is for people "of a certain age" or a member of a retired persons organization. I qualify. I'm not "old as dirt", though! Yes 104£ is a great rate, but I was looking for something more central, if possible but those rates were higher. I can't have my cake and eat it, too.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
Yes, ding ding ding! You are correct. It is for people "of a certain age" or a member of a retired persons organization. I qualify. I'm not "old as dirt", though! Yes 104£ is a great rate, but I was looking for something more central, if possible but those rates were higher. I can't have my cake and eat it, too.
Bang in the centre of London you'll be looking at upwards of 200GBP as a 'very good rate'!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:12 am

Yeah last made use of this the other week at IC WAW.
Had flex rate booked at around 450PLN and then checked a few days before and same room had dropped to 300. Cancelled and rebooked.

Best one was for Z Ocean Beach last November. When trip was booked in March 2016 rates were going at a whooping 590USD per night. Checked a month before and it was down to 225! Of course exceptional circumstances due to Zika.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I almost always keep checking rates after booking if making a reservation a few months ahead. In my experience, it seems the lowest rates show up around 3 weeks before arrival date. After that, rates start going up again.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:30 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Unless you know the REVPAR managers routine when it comes to reviewing pricing it's all hit and miss, and often luck. As an example I was looking at a property to stay in the next 24 hours, it was $159, hour later went to book and it was $195, six hours later back down to $159.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
IC HK has come down substantially for April since I booked - luckily Best Flex so I can easily tweak it. Across 2 rooms x 4 nights it is a substantial saving.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Same happened to me too - IHG tends to drop their price from 7 days down to 3 days before arrival. I saved at least $30 per hotel when I was on a road trip - just check regularly to see if the price drops.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Just changed a standard double into a Club room at a C/P for 7 days time. Original booking made 5 months in advance. And a refund of £28.

Happy days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.