Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm almost a Spire!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:14 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Well since making Spire I've had 2 suite upgrades at HI Washington DC and at HI Oakville Bronte and been upgraded twice to club rooms with access at CP Nottingham and CP Newcastle. As almost all my stays are UK HIX where there's no suites, since Spire came in I'm batting 100% on CP lounge access and about 20% on HI suites. By comparison I managed 1 HI suite upgrade in 6 years as Plat and about 10% lounge access.
So, though these are not mandated benefits I've found Spire is a significant improvement to Plat.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by gkrnjlr
Thank you! This is the information I was looking for!
Be careful that spire benefits are even more hit-or-miss when you're staying on points. (You stated in your first post that you plan to use points.) Many IHG hotels that extend a particular set of benefits to elite guests on revenue stays offer fewer benefits or even no benefits to elites staying on points.

Since it seems you're looking a small number of particular hotels, why not call the hotels to ask about their policies?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:42 pm
IHG 5+ Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
Spire status is quite bad, to be honest. That's why I'm hopping over to Hilton Diamond.

Crowne plazas and holiday inns tend to be quite generous with upgrades (in my experience) with triple upgrades at Holiday Inn Jakarta Kemayoran & Crowne Plaza Bandung with lounge access and breakfast even when booked with pointbreaks nights (award nights at 5,000points each)

I would just maintain ambassador and stay with the ICs after my spire expires, as IHG has failed to provide a level of benefit comparable with other programs.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by 336
Spire (and Platinum, and any other IHG status) is a joke. Don't expect anything more than the increased bonus point %! Perhaps, if you are lucky, you will be positively surprised somewhere along the road.
This is also my experience. I've had no more soft benefits as a Spire than as Platinum and I have no idea why the tier even exists.

The difference between a property's overall attitude to elites is a greater factor than whether you are Platinum or Spire in my experience.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
This year I made Spire - I don't feel the difference between Plat and Spire in most hotels I stayed at. I got decent upgrades at HI and HIX. Stayed at CP Hamburg and got a club room without club access and the room was unacceptable. At candlewood suites as Plat I got $5 to spend in the cupboard (I don't think I'll get double as Spire).

I get more upgrades in IHG than Marriott. I'm MR Platinum and IHG Spire.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:04 pm

Spire proved hugely valuable to me - for getting matched to Hyatt and Hilton Diamond.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by Tony300S

Don't let the stuffy travelers bring down your travels and perks!
Another "stuffy traveler" here. Spire was poorly conceived and horribly executed. Benefits are spotty and erratic, as are most benefits within the IHC world. Even chaos has some patterns to it.

The only tangible benefit so far is the double points per stay seem to make the points add up faster. Start of year will have an offer for points or "share a status". As mentioned earlier, not much else beyond the "you're numbers in there"..... I have had great reactions at CPs, at an IC they scoff.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbw5t
Spire proved hugely valuable to me - for getting matched to Hyatt and Hilton Diamond.

I think IHG Plat is enough to make HH Diamond - no need to go all the way
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Originally Posted by nacho

I think IHG Plat is enough to make HH Diamond - no need to go all the way
Hilton no longer does a status match to HHonors.

mxm135
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MXM135

mxm135
?????? Only challenges? Or what are you referring to? Not that I need it, already Diamond with Hilton (earned, not matched) but am curious what you are referring to.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
?????? Only challenges? Or what are you referring to? Not that I need it, already Diamond with Hilton (earned, not matched) but am curious what you are referring to.
They were going to limit the status matches but changed their minds and are doing a status match, and a challenge combination which could extend the status until March 2018:

https://hiltonhhonors.hiltonapps.com/
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mxm135
True - they finally realised and changed back in June.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:22 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar

mxm135
Good thing I got in under the wire in May - IHG Platinum match to HHonors Diamond until March 31st 2018 :-:
Old Jul 31, 2016, 2:49 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
As others have said - welcome to Spire which is also known as pretty much nothing really tangible and not even remotely worth 75 nights (if you qualify that way). Aside from 25k points everything you may get is luck of the draw pretty much in my experience and entirely inconsistent. Enjoy though, but I think you'll find it hard to detect a difference to Platinum.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
I use Marriott as my primary program and IHG Rewards as secondary. I was wondering if Spire was worth 75 nights. Seems that it isn't. With that said, the 10 or so nights I spend in HIE properties are usually nice, but I won't go out of my way or sacrifice an elite qualifying night at a neighboring Marriott property for IHG right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.