Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Convince me not to cancel the IHG card, please?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
When you have a high number of more downmarket properties, the downside is the properties are downmarket. But the upside is there's a high number of them.

So while I've used my free night for a $500 room at the IC Times Square, I've also used it for a $130 HI Express in rural New Jersey. That's still well worth the $49 fee.

But if it doesn't work for you, for your travel patterns and needs, then cancel it. You can always re-apply in the future if you change your mind (subject to the Chase rules at time, of course).
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
I would keep it in the hopes that the free night will be usable at Kimpton properties in the future. My favorite CP is turning into a Kimpton (CP Amsterdam City Center). Just used mine at CP LAX. While not dripping in gold, it was better than paying the going rate of $200, and I needed to stay there anyhow.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Because I would not pay even $49 to stay in any of those 4 properties.
I think you answered your own question....it seems to be me that you're be more satisfied by canceling the card and saving the $49 annual fee, and pay out of pockets ($ or pts) to stay elsewhere.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:10 pm
Community Director Emerita

IC Monterey is a lovely property next to the aquarium on the water in a very expensive hotel town.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Hyatt's consistent quality is an exception among hotel chains, not the rule. When it comes down to it, it sounds like your tastes are higher than most. I'm not criticizing, just pointing out that most people would take a $49 night at any IHG and consider that a better deal than dropping $75-$300 and chunk of points for a (admittedly nice) night in a higher end Hyatt (ignoring the lower end C+P prices that IHG could easily beat). The annual IHG free night cert can be a great value, but you can't assume that all IC/Indigo/CP are quality. IC is generally a good bet, but you've clearly found one that isn't. As sdsearch said, consult reviews. Considering IHG's footprint is much larger than Hyatt's, I would guess you can find use for a free night a year.

Last edited by dukerau; Jun 3, 2016 at 9:17 pm
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS,UA
I have used my Annual Fee at Hotel Indigo Garden District and the IC Kansas City. Was really impressed with the IC KC because we were upgraded to a Suite and given lounge access. That upgrade and lounge access was worth the 49 bucks to me
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Unlike HIX, Indigo has a bar/restaurant. I have yet to stay at an Aloft, but I'm getting the impression that that's about as similar as you're going to find at another chain. The rooms themselves are best described as a souped-up Holiday Inn perhaps?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Club, Marriott Rewards
Id bet the Hotel Indigo in Jacksonville, Florida is the BEST North Florida IHG property. I don't have a real problem with HIX but they are nothing like that Indigo.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Staybridge is the equivalent of a newer Hyatt House. Going on experience alone, I'd take Staybridge every time.

I don't think Crowne Plaza knows what it wants to be. I have had hits and misses but mostly misses, I now avoid the brand. Select Holiday Inns can equal the lower end of Hyatt Regency.

As to the credit card, I don't use it except for IHG stays. Better value on other cards including Hyatt. It will be the last fee card I cancel as there is amazing value in the Plat status and free night. Hold on to it unless you really need to free up a Chase slot.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I think $49 for a free night is pretty nice. I've used my free nights at IC Hong Kong, IC Sydney and this year at the IC Singapore. Definitely have gotten my money's worth out of it.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 6:04 pm
Original Member

We've used ours several years at the IC Times Square for a Broadway weekend. Have also used at the IC in Rome (now closed). Love the IC in Monterey -- stayed there 3 nights this past fall. Great place to use a free night.

You're complaining about a $49 fee when you can use it in so many good properties? SMH
Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Pity you're not traveling outside the U.S. I rather enjoyed my one night stay this week at the IC in Sydney.

Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by akhill
Indigo is basically HIX with more art, in my limited experience (Berlin/Austin).
I've stayed at three of them in the UK, plus one in NYC, and really enjoy the room design.

Paddington:

Tower Hill during the Olympics (9 nights there):

Edinburgh:

Also two stays in Chelsea in New York City:

Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Pity you're not traveling outside the U.S. I rather enjoyed my one night stay this week at the IC in Sydney.
You got a free upgrade?

I have a free night booked in a few weeks at IC Sydney(Friday night)...

wondering how I can get a (free/cheap) upgrade for my king superior cityside room. Heard ICs are stingy, though it's lower peak winter season now
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:04 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Crowne Plaza is a hit-or-miss brand. Some hotels are older properties badly in need of renovation, some are well modernized, and some are in transition (meaning they're hit-or-miss room by room). You really need to read reviews sites to know what you're getting before picking a CP.

That said, even the worst CP I've stayed at was worth more than $49 to me. I routinely make the certificates worth several times the credit card's annual fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.