Search

IHG account must have been hacked

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 4:32 am
mav
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
IHG account must have been hacked

IHG members may want to check their rewards points balance. I couln't get into my account yesterday, and after a few hours it seemed odd. I called in , and after verifying my info. turned out my e-mail address and pin # had been changed by someone and it was not me. 802,000 was missing from my account . They told me someone had purchased an Apple computer with my points. They were actually able to cancel the computer being sent out because I had called Sunday and it was ordered Saturday. They put my points back in my account immediately. I will admit I check all of my accounts everyday, Hilton, Marriott, IHG, United, etc. in case my account is hacked.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
Originally Posted by mav
IHG members may want to check their rewards points balance. I couln't get into my account yesterday, and after a few hours it seemed odd. I called in , and after verifying my info. turned out my e-mail address and pin # had been changed by someone and it was not me. 802,000 was missing from my account . They told me someone had purchased an Apple computer with my points. They were actually able to cancel the computer being sent out because I had called Sunday and it was ordered Saturday. They put my points back in my account immediately. I will admit I check all of my accounts everyday, Hilton, Marriott, IHG, United, etc. in case my account is hacked.
Nice save ^
I hate when people actually get stuff with stolen info or points.

My IHG CC info was stolen last week, they flagged the purchases attempted in TX at Mexican themed supermarkets. I store my IHG CC info in my account, it's the only one I have ever had compromised. Hmmmm....
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Similar thread recently of someone's account being hacked:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...-hijacked.html
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:22 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
Every other big-league hospitality chain has gone to username/password, and as reliant as most are on smartphone apps, I'm surprised we haven't seen two-factor authentication available yet.

I mean, Hilton lets you use NFC on your iPhone as a room key, but IHG can't get off a 4-digit PIN??
Old Apr 27, 2016, 5:01 am
mav
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
As of yesterday I am now again unable to get into my account. I called in and they said the fraud dept. has my account frozen and is investigating it. I have asked them to please give me updates, as I want to keep up with my account and I have reservations coming up in Singapore and Ireland. I am just SOOOO GLAD the merchandise did NOT go out!!
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: DL Silver, NZ, VS, HH, IHG Gold, Marriott, Hertz 5*
4-digit pin is just too easy to brute force attack.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: Spire Amb IHG, HH Gold, TR Diamond, Mlife Plat, National Exec, Avis Pref Plus
This actually happened to me with my Southwest account. I logged in and 200k points were utilized to buy some hardware. It took Southwest forever to return my points.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 11:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by csyoung49
This actually happened to me with my Southwest account. I logged in and 200k points were utilized to buy some hardware. It took Southwest forever to return my points.
I hope you did get it back even it has took very long.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: Spire Amb IHG, HH Gold, TR Diamond, Mlife Plat, National Exec, Avis Pref Plus
Originally Posted by chongcao
I hope you did get it back even it has took very long.
Yup got it back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.