Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst platinum gift yet

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Who cares about gifts at hotels ?!

The best gift to me is a great experience.

The most extraordinary gift ever received at a hotel was given by concierge team at ANA Tokyo: one member of staff took the time on Google earth to find out where was located the

tiny house

(after calling the architect agency which declined to give the exact address, but only the district, as the property is privately owned).

Simply amazing... And much better than any useless gadget.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying blue
It's not so much about caring about the gift, it's more the bemusement of "why???"
Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:03 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by vexorg
It's not so much about caring about the gift, it's more the bemusement of "why???"
With the intent of these gifts to be for showing appreciation and are often times times for elite loyalty club members, it is a good discussion to have to see if these items indeed fulfill their intent or not.
And generally if not, they are quite good for a laugh.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:58 am

Does a paper bookmark from InterContinental Singapore make it as a contender?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:01 am
Original Poster

I don't know, a bookmark is useful (not so much on a kindle). Most useful one I've had has to be the holiday inn mug, as I have used it a number of times when running low on clean mugs.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, BA Gold, Hyatt
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Does a paper bookmark from InterContinental Singapore make it as a contender?
Twice now I've gotten a stuffed animal at the IC Singapore. As I am an adult without kids, I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have the bookmark even though I read on a Kindle.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by KMPete
Twice now I've gotten a stuffed animal at the IC Singapore. As I am an adult without kids, I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have the bookmark even though I read on a Kindle.
Ha. I would love that! I collect the Conrad bears - but maybe because I have kids.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive, AAdvantage Gold, Midwest Miles
Originally Posted by Suite Disposition
When things were still Priority Club, The Candlewood Suites in Santa Clara, CA used to give you your status on a magnet to put on the door of your room to advertise to everyone on your floor that there was a 'Platinum' staying near them.
Worst gift was ages ago, some Crowne Plazas gave out plastic key fobs.
I have a magnet star from Candlewood North Olmsted, OH on my filing cabinet that I just got a couple weeks ago. "Home to IHG Rewards Club Platinum Member, Your Loyalty Means the World to Us." Guess I was supposed to put it on my door. Wasn't going to happen.

They also did this at the Staybridge that's now Sonesta ES on I-Drive in Orlando, but it was already on your door and waiting for you on check in.

500 points is 500 points and I always take it. Have not had any problems with them posting recently.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Friarboy
I have a magnet star from Candlewood North Olmsted, OH on my filing cabinet that I just got a couple weeks ago. "Home to IHG Rewards Club Platinum Member, Your Loyalty Means the World to Us." Guess I was supposed to put it on my door. Wasn't going to happen.

They also did this at the Staybridge that's now Sonesta ES on I-Drive in Orlando, but it was already on your door and waiting for you on check in.

500 points is 500 points and I always take it. Have not had any problems with them posting recently.
I would actually love a magnet as that is what i usually get nowadays for a souvenir. Especially since it says the city or the location.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I feel like the perfect gift, which will make it memorable is one of the little collectible homes(or something to that effect) that KLM gives out to its premium cabin passengers. Every IC in each city globally could come up with something like that. Now wouldn't you want to travel to all IC's to collect these?

https://www.klm.com/travel/ca_en/pre.../klmhouses.htm

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB120973966710362859
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I feel like the perfect gift, which will make it memorable is one of the little collectible homes(or something to that effect) that KLM gives out to its premium cabin passengers. Every IC in each city globally could come up with something like that. Now wouldn't you want to travel to all IC's to collect these?

https://www.klm.com/travel/ca_en/pre.../klmhouses.htm

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB120973966710362859
I have only 11 houses in about 20 years of travelling with KLM, only business class et them on long haul.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75k, Skyteam Elite Plus
They say that it's the little things that count... but that's pushing it! I have a bunch of stays booked in Asia over the next few months, I'll be curious to see if it's something being launched within the region or just a simple fluke.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
At the Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos, we received two bottles of water on check-in as a "Spire member thank you." But...it's an all-inclusive resort, and these were the exact same type of bottled water already in our room and free upon request....
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Phorbas
A great benefit spotted at the Express London Stansted a couple of years back:

Much like Crowne Plaza's promise of quiet floors - likely total BS.

Only time I stayed with status outside the U.S. was at the IC in Cannes. Didn't get squat and then called to inquire (if for no other reason than to see how they'd respond) - got a plate of peaches. They were pretty good, fwiw.

Have a couple of stays in the UK coming up, will see what happens, I suppose.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
Well I must say the IC Cannes were rather nice with me. On going to room there was a vase of roses,a very large bowl of fruit and a box of hand-made biscuits. One day I left a book face down and open , on return it had been closed and a tasselled bookmark with a pic of Grace Kelly inserted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.