Wiki Posts
Search

Stick as Plat or go to Spire Amb?!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Stick as Plat or go to Spire Amb?!

Hi all,

I have a reward stay coming up at the IC Istanbul and am trying to work out what efforts (if any) I should take to up my status before it. I know, as a reward stay, I shouldn't expect much but I also know that sometimes status is recognised on reward stays.

I am currently Platinum and not a member of the Ambassador scheme. The options are:-

1. Make no effort, hope my Plat is recognised in some way but don't expect anything
2. Join Ambassador and hope that that is recognised even though it's a reward stay
3. Join Ambassador PLUS transfer some points to make me Spire and hope that one of these things gets me some recognition!

Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
You have a better chance of Plat being recognised than Spire at the moment so I wouldn't personally make any effort at all. Only AMB or RA really matters at most IC's.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: *A Gold, IHG Rewards Diamond Amb, Radisson Gold
4.During check-in ask at the hotel what upgrade will they be willing to offer if you join Ambassador (staff gets their cut, so usually results are very good).
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Uglook
4.During check-in ask at the hotel what upgrade will they be willing to offer if you join Ambassador (staff gets their cut, so usually results are very good).
That's a very interesting idea and one I hadn't thought of! Ok, I'll probably to that then. Thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
You have a better chance of Plat being recognised than Spire at the moment so I wouldn't personally make any effort at all. Only AMB or RA really matters at most IC's.
Yes, I'd been reading the Spire thread and had come to the same conclusion! I'll wait until later in the year and if it becomes to look more worthwhile, I'll make the effort to get it. Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:01 am

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold
Originally Posted by bja200
(...)
transfer some points to make me Spire
I'd like to be corrected but that's not possible as any points purchased or transferred are not Elite Qualifying.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Spire means nothing at the moment.

I would buy Amb membership and then you'll have a slightly higher probability of getting Club access. And even if they don't give it to you for free, they'll give you around 50% off and that's worth it IMO.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:00 pm

I paid for amb with points and was upgraded for a reward stay at the ic Prague. It was worth it in my opinion because I had points to spare. And with the ihg cc I received 10% back on the points. Later I became spire and got the 25k so really being amb costed me 2k points. I am not planning on staying in an IC for a while but when I do I can use the free night cert. that came with being amb. It was worth it to me and my needs. Good luck.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by bja200
Hi all,

I have a reward stay coming up at the IC Istanbul and am trying to work out what efforts (if any) I should take to up my status before it. I know, as a reward stay, I shouldn't expect much but I also know that sometimes status is recognised on reward stays.

I am currently Platinum and not a member of the Ambassador scheme. The options are:-

1. Make no effort, hope my Plat is recognised in some way but don't expect anything
2. Join Ambassador and hope that that is recognised even though it's a reward stay
3. Join Ambassador PLUS transfer some points to make me Spire and hope that one of these things gets me some recognition!

Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks.
Can you explain that part? Also, with your Ambassador membership, you will get a one room category upgrade and a free pay-per-view movie for your stay. Does that sound "worth it" to you for $200? Moreover, do you plan on staying at more ICs in the rest of the 12 months?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The value of Ambassador is in the free weekend night certificate and the 4pm guaranteed late check-out (for me).

If you will use the 4pm check-out then that has value, as does the upgrade and the 5000 points for signing up. Not sure you get to $200 unless it is a long stay and the upgrade makes it worth it - unless you are there over a weekend and you cancel 2 of the reward nights to replace them with buy one, get one free using the voucher.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
The value of Ambassador is in the free weekend night certificate and the 4pm guaranteed late check-out (for me).

If you will use the 4pm check-out then that has value, as does the upgrade and the 5000 points for signing up. Not sure you get to $200 unless it is a long stay and the upgrade makes it worth it - unless you are there over a weekend and you cancel 2 of the reward nights to replace them with buy one, get one free using the voucher.
So now the OPs original free IC weekend becomes $200 Amb Fee ++ cost of a Flex night to get second free weekend night and has to purchase Amb say 6weeks out to ensure bogo arrives

Much better to buy Amb at checkin on award after checking the IC will give upgrade on their award night. The weekend bogo can be used later anytime upto 12months.

This way they get 4 upgraded nights for their investment too

I know that is a bit simplistic as the points saved are worth by most peoples calculation $70/10k, to offset against Amb weekend nights rate, depends if OP would prefer his points or cash in pocket

Last edited by scubaccr; Aug 1, 2015 at 7:12 pm
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raph
I'd like to be corrected but that's not possible as any points purchased or transferred are not Elite Qualifying.
As I understand it, Virgin Flying Club points transferred into IHG count as qualifying.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Can you explain that part? Also, with your Ambassador membership, you will get a one room category upgrade and a free pay-per-view movie for your stay. Does that sound "worth it" to you for $200? Moreover, do you plan on staying at more ICs in the rest of the 12 months?
I intent to transfer some Virgin Flying Club points into IHG which should count as qualifying and edge me over the 75,000 needed for Spire.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles

Hi Raffles, most of the ideas in my OP were inspired by reading Head For Points, so thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubaccr
So now the OPs original free IC weekend becomes $200 Amb Fee ++ cost of a Flex night to get second free weekend night and has to purchase Amb say 6weeks out to ensure bogo arrives

Much better to buy Amb at checkin on award after checking the IC will give upgrade on their award night. The weekend bogo can be used later anytime upto 12months.

This way they get 4 upgraded nights for their investment too

I know that is a bit simplistic as the points saved are worth by most peoples calculation $70/10k, to offset against Amb weekend nights rate, depends if OP would prefer his points or cash in pocket
I think this makes more sense for me personally and will give me better "value". Assuming of course that if I offer to sign up for Amb at check-in, they agree an upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.