Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: scubaccr
List of properties that have (or have not) recognised Spire. AND Provided Spire 'Specific' Benefit.

I suggest listing country, brand, property, how you were recognised (Club/not at all etc) and the month you stayed that way if anyone stays after that date we can have an update on whether things have changed.

Or if anyone can think of a better solution feel free to change it.

INDIA
CP JAIPUR - Suite upgrade, club access, happy hour with free snacks, Spire Elite label placed on your table for better treatment - Sep 2016

INDONESIA
IC Bali - local gift at check-in, room upgrade, free breakfast - Jan 2016

JAPAN

IC Tokyo Bay, not recognised at all, August 2015

NETHERLANDS
CP Amsterdam South - Spires Amenity choice now 'Lounge/Drink/600pts' on both paid+Award nights.
(On paid nights at checkin likely to be offered Junior Suite upgrade too if room is free, but not offered on awards.)

UNITED KINGDOM

CP London Heathrow. Free breakfast only. Offered discounted cash payment of 24 GBP pp for lounge access June 2016
Indigo Paddington, no recognisition. September 2015 (this hotel now gives good upgrades to Spire even when checking in late)
Indigo Kensington/Earls Court - apparently recognised. Got nothing not even Welcome Amenity, October 2015
HI Haydock M6 - J23, recognised as club. September 2015
HI London Gatwick Worth, Recognised as Club, September 2015
HI Express Birmingham NEC recognised as "basic member" August 2015
HIX Birmingham Star City, no recognition or amenity - January 2016
HIX Hamilton, recognised as club Aug 2015, recog. Spire Aug 2016
HI Birmingham M6, recognised as club Sept 2015 & Oct 2015, recognised as Spire January 2016
HIX Leigh Sports Village, recognised as club Sept 2015
HI Portsmouth, recognised as Club 22/October/2015
HI Leeds - Wakefield, recognised as club 19th December 2015
HI Luton Airport Recognised as Club 18th March 2016
HI Norwich Airport Me Recognised as Platinum June 3rd 2016
HI Norwich Airport MrsB Recognisd as Club June 3rd 2016.

USA

HI Express, Chicago, IL, recognized at Platinum (not Spire), October/2015. No benefits

THAILAND

HI Pattaya, Thailand, recognized at Platinum (not Spire), November/2105. August 2016, recognized as Spire, upgrade to Ocean View Suite but no benefits

CHINA

CP Guangzhou Haidu letter recognising as a Spire but no benefits additional to Golds. No room upgrade
CP Qingdao No letter, no recognition nothing
Print Wikipost

Discussion about new top tier: Spire

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: CHASE UNITED CLUB; CITI PRESTIGE; IHG SPIRE AMBASSADOR; RITZ-CARLTON GOLD; Global Entry
Originally Posted by manord
Is there any consenus - if at the upper end of Plat heading towards Spire - better to stick to Plat (known/safer option) for next year or get Spire (allure of maybe extra stuff next year, but big risk of getting nothing due to lack of recognition of Spire)?

Plenty of hotel spend left this year, can push it to IHG or elsewhere easily.

I am completely confused. I have both platinum card and SPIRE ELITE card for the year 2016. Why should I worry about "big risk of getting nothing due to lack of recognition of Spire "?

I imagine most if not all SPIRE elites have both cards.
A platinum elite can request a platinum elite card as soon as the platinum level is reached by a click on IHG website "request a new card".

Last edited by ylord789; Oct 1, 2015 at 11:24 am
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ylord789
I am completely confused. I have both platinum card and SPIRE ELITE card for the year 2016. Why should I worry about "big risk of getting nothing due to lack of recognition of Spire "?

I imagine most if not all SPIRE elites have both cards.
A platinum elite can request a platinum elite card as soon as the platinum level is reached by a click on IHG website "request a new card".
I would suggest that whatever physical card you have is irrelevant, it's the status on the IT system that they will look at.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
Sure, twice heard from the hotel employee that my status is expired and
"you are base\basic member sir" No matter what I show on my phone or in real plastic.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by olegator
Sure, twice heard from the hotel employee that my status is expired and
"you are base\basic member sir" No matter what I show on my phone or in real plastic.
I hope you have logged these as concerns via the IHG website or at the very least asked for the manager.

Three months down line the it really should be sorted and knowledge levels should be at a decent level. Hotels not complying now really deserve to be reported.

Last edited by chrism20; Oct 1, 2015 at 4:45 pm
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by chrism20
I hope you have logged these as concerns via the IHG website or at the very least asked for the manager.

Three months down line the it really should be sorted and knowledge levels should be at a decent level. Hotels not complying now really deserve to be reported.
I reported 2 last week,but nothing has happened and I have had no reply or feedback.

3 months down the line nobody at IHG seems to care.I only have IC bookings for the rest of the year,but nobody at IHG cares about that either.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by rapidex
I reported 2 last week,but nothing has happened and I have had no reply or feedback.

3 months down the line nobody at IHG seems to care.I only have IC bookings for the rest of the year,but nobody at IHG cares about that either.
I'm not sure they ever respond. The last time I wrote I received no answer at all. It was about a points discrepancy and it never did get resolved, it was not enough for me to waste anymore time on.

Really bad form to not respond to customers.

This Spire things really sounds like a fine example of poor implementation. I will be Spire soon so I guess I will find out first hand.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HIX San Giovanni Rome, Staybridge Vauxhall London and Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Tower all saw Spire in their system.

HIX gave 500 pt voucher or a single drink. no room upgrade (they have some rooms have a nice balcony overlooking the courtyard, we did not get that.)
Staybridge gave 500 pt voucher or a drink + a snack from the pentry.
CP Copenhagen did not offer any choice of amenities but upgraded the room and gave lounge access which I believe it is routinely gives to Plat as well.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 5:21 am

Yes Plat gets lounge at CPH. Was the case for us this summer.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
Recent experiences

HIEx Birmingham NEC - nothing, welcomed me as a "base" member that's what the letter said, argued for platinum benefits, was told they did not recognise Spire - fed back to IHG, no response
HI Southampton - room upgrade was the same as previously given to Platinums, was offered the usual drink or points, took points got 500. Hotel said they were still waiting to be told if they were to differentiate between platinum and spire but did not expect to have to
CP Barcelona. - very nice room far better than we had as Platinums and given lounge access for one night

Am about to embark on a business trip to China, they have always been pretty good re Platinums so let's see if there is any difference for spire but I'm already booked in club rooms so it may not be clear if they would have given me club lounge anyway
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum. Aspiring flyer with both feet on the ground.
I'm honestly scared to hit Spire this year... I'm trying to hold on to Platinum as I've had excellent recognition this year, but I'm on course to get Spire soon. I'm not an ambulance chaser by nature, but if I even suspect (having read all accounts so far) that I'm not getting my due benefits because of a ridiculously organised introduction of an elite level, I will claim for all that I can get in terms of both monetary compensation and/or points.

But like I said.. I'd rather if I didn't have to...
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:22 am
Original Poster
IHG 5+ Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
I've got the feeling that many Spires here are expecting to be treated with more benefits than Platinum.

I personally don't. Here's why. Right now Spire is in a "preview bonus" period, at least until 1st Jan 2016.

The extra benefits are still being negotiated with hotels, and still being formulated. Till then, I'd just treat Spire as "another name for plat"
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
Originally Posted by jedicat666
I've got the feeling that many Spires here are expecting to be treated with more benefits than Platinum.

I personally don't. Here's why. Right now Spire is in a "preview bonus" period, at least until 1st Jan 2016.

The extra benefits are still being negotiated with hotels, and still being formulated. Till then, I'd just treat Spire as "another name for plat"
Whether it is the preview period or not, I do not want to be treated as a Base member - happened again this weekend, reported again, it was a different hotel same issue. Sorry I want to go back to Platinum until they sort this farce out

As I have hit my 75 nights already I am booking with another chain anyway where my loyalty is correctly recognised so IHG have scored a good own goal here
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Holiday Inn Frankfurt Airport North recognised me as Spire and gave me a room upgrade - not that the hotel was any good, but it's the thought that counts. I got free WiFi for all three of my devices that needed it. They did say that breakfast was included but I noticed a 6 EUR charge added to my bill at checkout. I couldn't be bothered to argue.

Pleasant enough staff but hotel a bit basic and dingy.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:25 am

Stayed in Zurich last week on points and a full revenue night, Holiday Inn Messe, and HIX at Airport, both said I was club member in the computer and couldn't be bothered when I showed them my Spire status in IHG.com. Ask me to call IHG and told me to get moving.

I am considering staying only at IC from now on and will pass on everything else IHG.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Not holding out much hope for the Hotel Indigo in St Petersburg, Russia. Had a very curt reply to my very courteous email enquiry. They seem to have some really miserable staff at reception!

Anyway, the bottom line is that Spire's are treated the same as Plats and you might get an upgrade if one is available and you might get late checkout if there's one available.

Really disappointed as I've had some fantastic responses back from other IHG hotels around the world this year to my email enquiries and I've always had a great experience for which I've always written glowing reviews about the hotel on the IHG site.

I might cancel the booking and rebook at the Crowne Plaza Ligovsky in St Petersburg, Russia. I've stayed there before and the service was excellent. I just wanted to try out the Hotel Indigo in LED.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.