Wiki Posts
Search

3rd and 4th adult extra person charge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, Club Carlson & Hilton HHonors Gold, Sixt Platinum
3rd and 4th adult extra person charge

I have seen many hotels offering rooms with 2 double beds, which have a '4 PERSON MAXIMUM'. However, when you book for 4 people, an extra person charge is added (eg. $20 for 3rd and $20 for 4th). This I still understand.

HOWEVER, why is it that sometimes these extra person charges are not in the rate description when booking a flexible rate? Are these charges still applicable? Or can you trust what the website says? When it's in the description, it's applicable and when it isn't, it's not.

I assume with award nights, there is never an extra person charge. Except maybe when you request a rollaway bed.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
Are they not in the rate description at all? Usually if you click "See more rate details" (verbiage?) it's hidden in the fine print, and reflected in the price, at least for me, for European properties.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AaronD23
I have seen many hotels offering rooms with 2 double beds, which have a '4 PERSON MAXIMUM'. However, when you book for 4 people, an extra person charge is added (eg. $20 for 3rd and $20 for 4th). This I still understand.

HOWEVER, why is it that sometimes these extra person charges are not in the rate description when booking a flexible rate? Are these charges still applicable? Or can you trust what the website says? When it's in the description, it's applicable and when it isn't, it's not.
If when searching for availbility, the number of people is specified, the extra charges are automatically displayed. If there is no extra charge, then will be fine

I assume with award nights, there is never an extra person charge. Except maybe when you request a rollaway bed.
I wouldn't assume that . Award nights are not defined as covering unlimited people in a room.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jul 1, 2015 at 12:23 am
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If when searching for availbility, the number of people is specified, the extra charges are automatically displayed. If there is no extra charge, then will be fine
That's what I thought at first, but the extra person charge is only shown in the rate details in advance purchase rates. When I try to book the flexible rate, it magically disappears.

I just don't want any surprising extra charges as it's for a long stay and the extra person charge is $20 starting with the 3rd adult. I'll upload a screenshot when I'm home.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:26 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
When I try to book the flexible rate, it magically disappears.
Is it included in "estimated total" when you view the reservsation after it's been confirmed?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That's what I thought at first, but the extra person charge is only shown in the rate details in advance purchase rates. When I try to book the flexible rate, it magically disappears.

I just don't want any surprising extra charges as it's for a long stay and the extra person charge is $20 starting with the 3rd adult. I'll upload a screenshot when I'm home.
As long as you are including the correct number of people in both cases, if the final price has no extra person charge, that suggests that the flexible rate has no extra person charge
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:44 am
Original Poster

As long as you are including the correct number of people in both cases, if the final price has no extra person charge, that suggests that the flexible rate has no extra person charge
Okay, that's what I was hoping for. Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I think the extra person charge is used to deter BRG claims.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:16 am

I can confirm. Tested this last week. Not necessarily all rate types include an extra person charge. Make sure to check them all. Perhaps you get some free points ;-).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.