Wiki Posts
Search

Account hacked, points spent

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:39 pm
Company Representative - InterContinental Hotels

Programs: IHG Rewards Club
Hi King Chung Huang,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club member Platinum Elite Ambassador member and for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention. Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience the unauthorized redemption on your card may have caused you. Should you want to further discuss, this I advised that you continue communicating with our IHG Rewards Club service center as they are in the best position to assist. Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us as we value your continued patronage to IHG.

All the best,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGService
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Thanks, I've been told to expect a response from the fraud department in 3 to 5 days. Hopefully it'll be resolved without issues.

However, IHG really needs to improve the type of credentials used for account authentication. 4 digits really doesn't cut it at all.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:53 am

Received two emails from IHG informing that I had updated my account. I did not. Could not sign in to my account to verify. Have been talking with the IHG customer Service for the past hour. The 'hacker' had changed my email address and credit card info! They have also made a reservation using my points!!!

Last edited by ConciergeBrandon; Apr 17, 2017 at 4:05 am
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ConciergeBrandon
Received two emails from IHG informing that I had updated my account. I did not. Could not sign in to my account to verify. Have been talking with the IHG customer Service for the past hour. The 'hacker' had changed my email address and credit card info! They have also made a reservation using my points!!!
Hi Brandon, you are lucky to find it quickly.

For anyone else still wondering what you can do currently before IHG decide to take the step forward to change its pin system, please follow my thread and suggestions:

WARNING (3rd-Party source): possible IHG Data Breach and member information leaked

My suggestion will not solve the problem but it will help you to identify the problem on time and delay the process and buy yourself sometime before your account being zeroed out.

Check your account daily using mobile app, and change your PIN every few month. Change your email address as well will help a lot too!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:17 pm

Have just found out that they booked 4 reward nights, 60k a night at an IC using my points!

Under another name which sounds Russian. Kid. You. Not.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG
Can't you change the details and cancel the nights? Or ask the hotel to do it?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:44 pm

Exclamation

Somehow I cannot cancel the reservation online. Called the IHG customer Service, and a supervisor is contacting the hotel as I type now. Could be that the hotel has no-cancellation policy?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

The nights should be cancellable on award nights. I'd contact the hotel immediately yourself, if I were you.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ConciergeBrandon
Somehow I cannot cancel the reservation online. Called the IHG customer Service, and a supervisor is contacting the hotel as I type now. Could be that the hotel has no-cancellation policy?
Could that be the guy is already checked-in?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao
Could that be the guy is already checked-in?
Even better they have him arrested!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Even better they have him arrested!
Highly unlikely to be hacker staying. The hacker sells "stolen points" room on

Read up this thread, last time IHGer with stolen points room reported and guest found , guest not arrested but just turfed out of the room
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:23 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
IHG is the account I'm always expecting my points balance to be drained once I log in. I'm not even saying that with one whit of paranoia.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:11 pm

Exclamation

Groundhog day!!!

Received not one, not two, but THREE email alerts today that I have updated my account, blah blah blah.

Called the customer service, guess what? The new account created two days ago when my old account was hacked, is now closed (again!). Now I have a new, new account, which I am unable to sign in, of course.

What the F is going on? I have spent HOURS on phone just to straighten out this? Come on, IHG people, get your act together!

p/s To answer chongcao's question: yep, they could not cancel the reservation because the 'guest-with-Russian-sounded-name' had checked in
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
Ugh, someone just stole 78000 points from my account! Called IHG and they said it was redeemed for iTunes gift cards. Just what I need before an upcoming week-long trip.

I really wish IHG would allow something better than a 4 digit PIN as a password.
Yikes- does IHG send out an email when they are redeemed?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Twitter and Facebook are unfortunately your only immediate option. This is ridiculous. Which hotel is this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.