Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hcuk94
Elite Rollover Nights - FAQs & Discussion
It came to my attention that with quite a few questions bobbing around about rollover nights, it might be worth posting a few of them with answers here, for the benefit of others. So that's what I did.

What are Elite Rollover Nights?
In order to qualify for IHG Rewards Club Platinum status, you must stay 50 nights at IHG properties in one calendar year. Once you've stayed 50 nights in a calendar year, there is no further status level to work towards, so any nights you stay above and beyond 50 are 'rolled over' to the next year, thus giving you a head start on re-qualifying for Platinum status next year.
As an example, if you were to stay 60 nights in 2014, 10 nights would be rolled over to 2015, counting towards your platinum requalification for 2016.

I've qualified for Platinum through the Fast Track offer of 40 nights over 4 brands - will my extra nights now roll over?
Elite rollover nights only kick in once you pass the 'standard' requirement of 50 nights in a year. Whilst 45 nights, for example, would be more than you'd need for Fast Track Platinum, you'd have none rollover.

I've qualified for Platinum through elite qualifying points earned, or through a status match, rather than nights stayed. Will my nights roll over from now, or do I still have to reach 50?
Regardless of your status through points earned or status matched from a competitor, unfortunately you will still need to reach 50 nights before your subsequent nights will roll over. This probably won't work in your favour if you spend a small fortune in expensive IHG properties and thus earn lots of points!

Will this year's rollover nights count towards next year's rollover?
Elite nights will not roll over more than once, and thus will not count towards future years.
If you stayed 60 nights in 2014, thus rolling 10 over to 2015, you would need to reach a total of 60 nights (50 excluding previous rollover) in 2015 before your subsequent nights would begin to roll over.
Put simply, you need to physically stay 50 nights in IHG hotels each year to start counting toward the next - 45 nights plus 10 rolled over from the previous year would still leave you with zero rolled over to next year.

My elite year has reset; yet My Account shows 0 rollover nights when I believe I had some due!
This seems to be a common issue, though elite rollover has only been around since 2013, so knowledge is a little restricted at present.
At first it's probably best to wait a week or so and see if they eventually update, as they often do so eventually, it's just stereotypical of IHG's dodgy IT.
Some also report that, when your first stay of the year tracks, the rollover nights will appear with it.
If you don't seem to be getting anywhere though, use the platinum contact form on the IHG website to voice your concern. Let them know how many nights you believe should have been rolled over (see the next FAQ if you're not sure) and they should be able to sort it out if you are indeed eligible, even if it means a manual credit.

I've forgotten how many elite qualifying nights I made last year - is there a way to check?
Unfortunately IHG's website does not go back further than 6 months for your stay history, which is fairly useless in this case. However, the IHG mobile site does let you see all your stays; seemingly since the beginning of time. Head to this link and log in with your IHG RC credentials. Below your pending reservations, you should be able to see your previous reservations. Now it's just a manual job of counting the number of nights, including reward nights!
Have a question not answered above? Search this thread as they may already have been asked and answered - if not, then feel free to add to the thread.
Print Wikipost

Elite Rollover Nights - Update Time?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by emurray077
From what I understand the rollover nights don't update until there is some sort of activity that posts to your account.

So next time a stay posts to your account you should see everything update correctly for 2015.
Oh man, that's gonna be another month for me! Still encouraged that I'll be off to a good start once they show though.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Platinum,SQ, DL, AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by emurray077
From what I understand the rollover nights don't update until there is some sort of activity that posts to your account.

So next time a stay posts to your account you should see everything update correctly for 2015.
Nope not correct. Mine just updated a couple of hours ago with no stay or other activity. Think the sweep has just started.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by chrisksc
Nope not correct. Mine just updated a couple of hours ago with no stay or other activity. Think the sweep has just started.
It will happen on its own, but a posting stay definitely triggers the elite rollover nights to post.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
In spite of 99 qualifying nights in 2014, mine shows 22 nights only.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Club Spire Elite, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Dark Blue
In spite of 99 qualifying nights in 2014, mine shows 22 nights only.
Did the 99 include any rollover nights from 2013 or were they all stays that took place during 2014?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
2015 Year-to-date Summary

Everything has been reset to zero!

Total Points Earned:
Elite Qualifying Points Earned:
0 of 60,000 points for Platinum Elite
Reward Nights:
2014 Elite Rollover Nights:
0 What are Elite Rollover Nights?
Elite Qualifying Nights:
0 of 50 nights for Platinum Elite
Elite Qualifying Brands:

Why??? I had loads of Elite Rollover Nights from 2014!
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by rumbataz
Everything has been reset to zero!

Total Points Earned:
Elite Qualifying Points Earned:
0 of 60,000 points for Platinum Elite
Reward Nights:
2014 Elite Rollover Nights:
0 What are Elite Rollover Nights?
Elite Qualifying Nights:
0 of 50 nights for Platinum Elite
Elite Qualifying Brands:

Why??? I had loads of Elite Rollover Nights from 2014!
See above posts. Seems to be a waiting game but if you do have a stay that posts this year, that seems to be one trigger that will cause it to reset correctly. Otherwise, gotta wait til they do their sweep.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by olympian
Did the 99 include any rollover nights from 2013 or were they all stays that took place during 2014?
Good point! I can not remember how many rollover nights I had for 2014, but 99 - (50 +22) = 22 rollover nights looks OK.

I do about 120 hotel nights (paid/reward, business/leisure, all inclusive) per year, god mixed up. Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:02 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by db1234db1234
See above posts. Seems to be a waiting game but if you do have a stay that posts this year, that seems to be one trigger that will cause it to reset correctly. Otherwise, gotta wait til they do their sweep.
Okay, thanks. I've got stays every week from this week for several months. I did get welcome bonus points last night when I cheked in and they are showing up already but the rollover nights haven't been credited yet.

Perhaps when I get the points for this week's stay, which should come in next week into my account, the rollover nights may update.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:34 am

While we're on this once-a-year (hopefully) topic, it might be good to educate ourselves on one little gotcha that we may see in the future rollovers. Since rollovers are a new item, we don't have past references to go by, but...

https://www.ihg.com/hotels/gb/en/glo...ollover-nights

"All Elite Qualifying Nights accrued in excess of 50 nights will be applied to a member’s account towards the following calendar year. Elite Rollover Nights are only valid for the next calendar year."

"How do I determine my Elite Rollover Nights?

Your Rollover Nights would be comprised of all your earned Elite Qualifying Nights in excess of 50 from the previous calendar year. Rollover Nights only count for the year after they were earned, so any rollover nights from previous years will not be counted as current Rollover Nights."

This might seem moot to most of us on first reading, but what it says to me is that, if you have 20 rollover nights now, and you need 30 more to get to Platinum again, and you do 40 more instead. (never mind the "fast track" which only needs 40, since we're dealing with rollovers) you will NOT have (20+40 = 60) 10 rollovers going into the following year. The rollovers from before do not stay in your balance of elite qualifying nights. They only get you the following year's status. The concept of "rollover" may have stuck in our minds incorrectly. It did so at first for me.

In fact, only doing 40 nights this year, you would need the Fast Track, and have no rollovers. At 50, you would still have no rollovers. Rollovers would be determined only from the current year's stays.

Sorry if I'm belaboring the obvious, but I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere, and as we make our year's plans going forward, it's good to be aware of all factors we may rely on.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Nice work SEAfarer, thanks for posting.
Perhaps I should make this a wikipost and almagamate the info together for a handy guide to rollovers?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by hcuk94
Nice work SEAfarer, thanks for posting.
Perhaps I should make this a wikipost and almagamate the info together for a handy guide to rollovers?
Yes, if you can condense and state it more simply than I have. At 4 AM, I tend to start my day obsessing on small details. But I hate getting caught flat-footed months later by some error I should have known about. Being a lazy T&C reader, that happens more than I'd like to admit.

Some people (most?) will get it from the start, and wonder why someone else would not. I'm just glad I thought this one through a little bit more, as I was making my Q1 reservations, and deciding if and what to target for SYS promo. Doubt I'm headed for any such rollovers this time around.

Maybe just post the T&C excerpts, and ask that people consider their own math relevant to them, stating for the record that rollovers only roll over once, and will drop out of the following year's total.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by SEAfarer
Yes, if you can condense and state it more simply than I have. At 4 AM, I tend to start my day obsessing on small details. But I hate getting caught flat-footed months later by some error I should have known about. Being a lazy T&C reader, that happens more than I'd like to admit.

Some people (most?) will get it from the start, and wonder why someone else would not. I'm just glad I thought this one through a little bit more, as I was making my Q1 reservations, and deciding if and what to target for SYS promo. Doubt I'm headed for any such rollovers this time around.

Maybe just post the T&C excerpts, and ask that people consider their own math relevant to them, stating for the record that rollovers only roll over once, and will drop out of the following year's total.
Maybe best if I style it as 'FAQs' on rollover nights, and answer some of the main questions in this thread, including the info you posted. Will write it up into a wikipost from the hotel this evening
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Have we established that one can RE-QUALIFY via Fast Track?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Have we established that one can RE-QUALIFY via Fast Track?
I re-qualified this year by staying 40 nights at 4 brands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.