Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Pointbreaks discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: Various
I'm a bit disappointed that the Points Break locations are dynamic, as discussed previously. The locations sell out of their quota...surprisingly, less than 2 weeks after the list for the quarter has been posted. Gee Thanks!!

On the other end of the spectrum, do new locations get added, or does everything just dwindle down to the least popular locations. Most of these aren't even close to an airport.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: Once upon a time...
Originally Posted by Robt760
On the other end of the spectrum, do new locations get added, or does everything just dwindle down to the least popular locations. Most of these aren't even close to an airport.
Nope, they dwindle. You have to bookmark it on your calendar when the new list gets released and act quick.

For me, this list was great. I have 5 nights booked in Bogota and 10 nights in Medellin. Both pretty nice hotels in a great location.

Only time I booked a PointBreaks before was 8 night at the Intercontinental Kiev, which was amazing.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Yes I think Europe doesnt tend to be such a good offering as other parts of the world for pointbreaks..
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by CanfordCliffs
Yes I think Europe doesnt tend to be such a good offering as other parts of the world for pointbreaks..
Because hotels in Europe aren't cheap - their 'normal' prices are higher than Asia and the US. Plus the hotel locations are tend to be in bigger cities = more expensive.

I did make use of some PB in Europe, and $35/night is unbeatable.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nacho
Because hotels in Europe aren't cheap - their 'normal' prices are higher than Asia and the US. Plus the hotel locations are tend to be in bigger cities = more expensive.

I did make use of some PB in Europe, and $35/night is unbeatable.
We could say the same of Singapore's hotel prices.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by nacho
I think I'd modify this generalisation. There are at times both jaw-droppingly expensive properties, and surprisingly good value ones, in all three areas.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
We could say the same of Singapore's hotel prices.
Yes - forgot about SG - it's like HK, haven't seen any hotel on PB list.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I think I'd modify this generalisation. There are at times both jaw-droppingly expensive properties, and surprisingly good value ones, in all three areas.
True.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Yikes, hotels are dropping like flies. Is it pretty much that once they are gone the list is updated daily? (ie this list)

http://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/glob...ds/pointbreaks
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
I just got approved for the IHG credit card today, and hope to be able to maximize my 70,000 point bonus on PointBreak hotels in the future (likely much further in the future, when we have the vacation time and additional miles to book an international trip on a whim). Look forward to following this thread so I'm prepared when the time comes.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
I had to be in Southern California for interviews, for 3 out of the last 4 weeks. I used 105k IHG points to stay at the HIE in Moreno Valley.

Location was not ideal - at least an hour drive to LA -but the hotel is of a high standard(one of the best of the many HIE's I have stayed in) and I only needed to go into LA about 7 or 8 days out of the 21 I was there.

Ultimately my alternative was about $1500 on renting an apartment so I am happy I got good value for my IHG points even with gas costs etc. .

That breakfast every day for a long period is not healthy tho... Those cinnabons are evil...
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Sorry for the bump, but did anyone go to Lhasa or is planning on going to Lhasa? I'm still price shopping and its getting close to May and I need to get my permit ASAP. If anyone could PM me their recommendations and what price they paid would be great.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:06 pm
Company Representative, Intercontinental Hotels

Programs: IHG Rewards Club
By the way, the next PointBreaks list will be released late May. Stay tuned. (It's not going away.)
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IHGSteve
By the way, the next PointBreaks list will be released late May. Stay tuned. (It's not going away.)
^^^

IHG Steve, if you know or can find out, can you advise what months it will cover?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: Lotz
Enigma368

Programs: Cathay Gold, Amex Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by wille5az View Post
Looks like the Fraser/Winter Park Holiday Inn got pulled off the PointBreak list... disappointing to see, does this happen much with hotels getting taken off the list?
All the time. Hotels sell out their quota of pointsbreaks. Sometimes within hours of going live. By the end of the three months, only about a quarter or fifth of hotels are left and usually the least desirable ones.

If you see something you want, book it before it goes. It is always free to cancel and you get your points back.
I found out the hard way that once you book it's impossible to shorten your stay on the front end unless pointbreak rewards are still available there to cancel and re-book.

Technically you can check out early and get points refunded but I just had a nightmare in Bogota where I checked out 5 days early and points weren't refunded. Serious language problems both at hotel and phone csr's makes it rough.

Better to reserve one day at a time as silly as that seems !

Last edited by tassojunior; Apr 16, 2015 at 6:47 pm
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:07 pm

Thanks Steve, glad to know points breaks are not going and also your presence on here is appreciated! Keep up the good work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.