Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is ambassador worth it

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Pl (2 m miler) AA, UA, Marriott Pl Life, Hilton Diamond Life, SPG Gold Life, IHG Spire Ambassador
Is ambassador worth it

Bought second year of ambassador.

First stay in Society Islands was nice but no real upgrade, but did get breakfast, good choices.

Free weekend night at DC Willard, guess view room was an upgrade of sorts, no breakfast. And no executive lounges at Inetercintinentials.

Both hotels were nice, bi put not "special"

In contrast, whenever abroad always upgraded to suites with HH, Marriott and SPG. Most are excellent properties, always breakfast and lounges.

Does not seem like $200 a year is worth it.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would look at

[a] how much is the price difference between category you book and the next one up
and
[b] if you were not being given a 1 category upgrade , would you have booked and paid the difference for that category

also

[c] do you manage to use the free night certificate and save money by doing so ( rather than just staying because you do have it )

From this you can tell whether or not you have saved yourself $200 over what you would have paid during the course of the year

If the saving is >$200 then it is probably worthwhile having
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Friday / Saturday stay at the Willard. Friday $229 / Saturday $399. 2nd night free via certificate. Upgraded from superior room to Willard room. Yes Ambassador status is worth the $200.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Regarding [A] be aware that the upgrade to the next room catergory could be a imaginary one like a bigger window or higher floor .

I would base it on how many stays you have at intercontinentals .
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Shanye2233
Regarding [A] be aware that the upgrade to the next room catergory could be a imaginary one like a bigger window or higher floor .

I would base it on how many stays you have at intercontinentals .
If it is a different category, then it is valid as an upgrade for an ambassador

I find ambassador to be something which I wouldn't pay for; the saving on rates is for me , very small plus for the weekend certificate the difference in price between the rates I can get for 2 nights vs 1 at the full rate tend to make it not worth much at all; last time ( whilst still a RA) I saved all of about $20 using one

I find it better value just to pay for the room I want
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:21 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
The main reason I still have the Ambassador status is the 10% point refund for award stays. Combine this with the 15k points I get when buying that package (+5k points if you find someone who trades the weekend voucher, but that's getting more difficult since BOGOs are banned in CC), the price isn't too bad . Last year I got about 40k points back. Not sure it will work out that well this year though.

HTB.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: Oneworld, Avios and IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by htb
The main reason I still have the Ambassador status is the 10% point refund for award stays. Combine this with the 15k points I get when buying that package (+5k points if you find someone who trades the weekend voucher, but that's getting more difficult since BOGOs are banned in CC), the price isn't too bad . Last year I got about 40k points back. Not sure it will work out that well this year though.

HTB.
Me too, I will get around a 50k rebate following Rewards Nights stays next year so that alone makes the $200 worthwhile.

Add to that the fact you get 15,000 Points when you upgrade/renew, a weekend voucher and guaranteed upgrade and it's a bit of a no-brainer
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:15 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by BWItravelerman
Bought second year of ambassador.

First stay in Society Islands was nice but no real upgrade, but did get breakfast, good choices.

Free weekend night at DC Willard, guess view room was an upgrade of sorts, no breakfast. And no executive lounges at Inetercintinentials.

Both hotels were nice, bi put not "special"

In contrast, whenever abroad always upgraded to suites with HH, Marriott and SPG. Most are excellent properties, always breakfast and lounges.

I'd say it is worth it if you are going to do a reasonable number of IC stays and view your membership fee as you would a lottery ticket ie some you lose some you win.

If however most of your stays are at a single or few IC properties it is better to simply get to know the staff at the properties you go to - particularly in the reservations department and make friends with them. Most of them like looking after people, and like to exercise their discretion to help decent visitors. If you do that ... use your Ambassador fee to send them Christmas cards ... and send them notes thanking them for helping you and when you need it asking for help with future bookings.

A fee for Ambassador membership will never be as good as forming friendships with individuals where it is possible to do so.

Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...or-worth.html?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...c-brands.html?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...bassador.html?

Last edited by FLYGVA; Dec 26, 2014 at 11:16 am Reason: three post combined to one post
Old Dec 25, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by htb
The main reason I still have the Ambassador status is the 10% point refund for award stays. Combine this with the 15k points I get when buying that package .
This

Even with zero on property benefits the fee is easily break even with 6-7 nights of award stays.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile Yes it is worth it

My experience in London, Paris and Dubai is that I was upgraded to Lounge Floors. Very Nice !!

My experience at Holiday Inns and CRown Plazas; they always upgrade you to a suite and you always get free breakfasts.

I have been an Ambassador or Royal Ambassador since 1995.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Mine is up for renewal, so I am debating, should I pay $150 or the $200? I am planning another stay at the Bali IC this next year. Sorry, my question is not if Ambassador is worth it, its more around the options for renewal.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Dec 29, 2014 at 7:26 am
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: *A Gold, IHG Rewards Diamond Amb, Radisson Gold
For $50 more you get 5000 points ($35 value) plus 10% refund. Thus if you plan to spend at least 20000 points - it is a plus game.
And if you do not need points, you always have 24000 point renewal option.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by BWItravelerman
If you have to ask, no it isn't worth it. The only one who can tell is you. If you don't find any value, don't buy it. What something is worth to someone else does not change the fact that you didn't find any value.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:30 am

Programs: IHG, CC, HH, AF, AA, UA
I am considering buying it for my wife, so that we can also get benefits on stays made using her account.

Is there just one offer for new joiners ($200/5k pts) ?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.