Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question regarding date for use of Chase free night certificate

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Question regarding date for use of Chase free night certificate

I have a free night certificate in my account from US Chase IHG credit card. In the terms it says that " The Anniversary Free Night must be redeemed, and stay must be completed within the booking window dates shown." and the booking dates shows "Jun 5, 2014 - Jun 15, 2015".

I was trying to use this certificate to book a free night in August 2015, and it seems that it works. So my question is that will the hotel cancel my reservation after June 15, 2015? Will I have problem when I check-in? Anyone has experience about this?

Thanks.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yuanzhou1986
I have a free night certificate in my account from US Chase IHG credit card. In the terms it says that " The Anniversary Free Night must be redeemed, and stay must be completed within the booking window dates shown." and the booking dates shows "Jun 5, 2014 - Jun 15, 2015".

I was trying to use this certificate to book a free night in August 2015, and it seems that it works. So my question is that will the hotel cancel my reservation after June 15, 2015? Will I have problem when I check-in? Anyone has experience about this?

Thanks.
No, the hotel will not cancel your reservation and yes, it should be fine. I did this at the I/C Westminster and had no problems.

FWIW, IHG interprets the language differently than does Chase (or for that matter, Marriott, which also gives an annual free night from a Chase credit card, but unlike IHG, Marriott follows the language to the letter and the award does expire -- even though one can book an award reservation on Marriott.com, like you can on IHG.com, past the certificate's expiration date. However, when you go to the hotel -- poof, there is no free night award holding your Marriott booking!)

However, if you change your IHG award booking and the expiration date of the certificate has actually passed, you will lose the award certificate and not get another one to replace it.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Aug 21, 2014 at 11:06 am
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. I will try then.
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
No, the hotel will not cancel your reservation and yes, it should be fine. I did this at the I/C Westminster and had no problems.

FWIW, IHG interprets the language differently than does Chase (or for that matter, Marriott, which also gives an annual free night from a Chase credit card, but unlike IHG, Marriott follows the language to the letter and the award does expire -- even though one can book an award reservation on Marriott.com, like you can on IHG.com, past the certificate's expiration date. However, when you go to the hotel -- poof, there is no free night award holding your Marriott booking!)

However, if you change your IHG award booking and the expiration date of the certificate has actually passed, you will lose the award certificate and not get another one to replace it.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM; Hyatt Explorist; MR Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yuanzhou1986

Thanks.
I called IHG reservations to book a night using a Chase award certificate. The date I wanted to book was after my award expired, so I asked if they could extend the expiration date of my award. The representative stated I did not need an extension of the expiration date as long as I made the booking before the award expiration. He said the expiration date only concerned the time of booking and not the actual date of stay. He then proceeded to book my award, but also said I would not be able to make any changes after the date my award expired.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: IHG Plat
so you can use 2 certs for 2 nights in a row?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Originally Posted by indelible
so you can use 2 certs for 2 nights in a row?
Yes. We did this at the Palazzo in Vegas a few years ago- 3 in a row. Minor PITA in that we had to visit the desk each afternoon/evening to have our room keys re-keyed.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL DI AA LTPL MAR LTPL HY GL
Apologies for digging this old thread up.

I've been under an impression that IHG free night from Chase card can be used to book a reservation beyond the expiration date as long as the reservation is made before the expiration. Then after the expiration date, you cannot change the reservation but you can still enjoy the free night.

Seems like it was the case for people who posted above in the thread.

Has this changed since then?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by clockhand
Apologies for digging this old thread up.

I've been under an impression that IHG free night from Chase card can be used to book a reservation beyond the expiration date as long as the reservation is made before the expiration. Then after the expiration date, you cannot change the reservation but you can still enjoy the free night.

Seems like it was the case for people who posted above in the thread.

Has this changed since then?
I did this in 2014 without a problem (used 2 free nights in a row - one from prior year), but wondering if anyone has done it more recently???
Old Dec 14, 2015, 7:10 pm

I called last week and was told this was possible. I didn't book to confirm as I was having issues with availability (trying to use an Into the Nights free night also).
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
I am also wanting to book my Chase free anniv. night before the expiration date, but with a stay date past the expiration. I am chatting with an IHG rep now. Well see what they say.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
I just got off the IHG Chat and was told pretty harshly that free nights booked after the expiration date will be CANX by the hotel. Probably a low level employee...anyone else shed some light on this?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, AA Plat. Pro
Well the TandCs are pretty clear that you have to, however it seems in practical use, it's very much doable to book using the cert after it will expire. However, if you modify that stay the after it's expiration date that cert is gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.