Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No points for booking via third party sites?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

No points for booking via third party sites?

For the past couple of years, work required us to book all travel arrangements through Travelocity, no issue until now, received the following email, does it make sense for a 5 night stay in London booked through Travelocity corporate rate? If so, it means that I will no longer be staying in any IHG properties as I cannot book outside of Corporate Travelocity. The stay is also not recognized for status determination purposes.

"Thank you for contacting IHG Rewards Club regarding your account. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your account discrepancy.

After further review, our records show that the stay in question was booked using a third-party website. Unfortunately, we will be unable to issue IHG Rewards Club points for your discounted room rate per section 12 of the IHG Rewards Club Terms and Conditions.

For your reference, third party website such as Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, and Travelocity are all net wholesale internet booking sites. As such, they purchase deeply discounted rates from the hotels in order to pass the savings on to their customers. Before confirming reservations through these net wholesalers, customers are given notification that credit with loyalty programs will not be issued.

We apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused as we value your patronage. We suggest booking future reservations through www.ihgrewardsclub.com to ensure the stay qualifies for credit.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact us. Should you require further assistance, please feel free to contact IHG Rewards Club Service Center again."
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Qster
If so, it means that I will no longer be staying in any IHG properties as I cannot book outside of Corporate Travelocity. The stay is also not recognized for status determination purposes.
You'll be hard-pressed indeed to find a loyalty programme that will earn you loyalty points/stay credit for stays booked on Travelocity (or any other OTA, for that matter). I can think of exactly none.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:10 am
Original Poster

That's what I am afraid of, at least I still get my airline points. At least Fairmont and Carlson havnt cut me off yet.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:57 am

Did you atleast get status benefits?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Qster
For the past couple of years, work required us to book all travel arrangements through Travelocity
And that's why they do it, because doing that way, they get the "kickbacks" (cashback, points, whatever) rather than you.

There's no easy way for a company to collect the points for work-related hotel stays other than by using a third-party site that supports that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.