Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades on a Gov rate?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Upgrades on a Gov rate?

Just wondering whether it's kosher or even possible to request an upgrade on a Gov rate. I have an upcoming weekend stay at the IC Montreal and am thinking about contacting them directly to let them know it's for a bday and drop the hint that anything to make the stay special would be appreciated.

I know it never hurts to ask and YMMV but just wondering. I have no IHG status.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:00 pm

I don't know about IC but I stay on a state government rate 90% of the time. I get upgraded a lot.

Not having an IHG reward status I don't know.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Upgrades on a Gov rate?

Thanks for the data point.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Might not be to your advantage to note the government rate and the birthday unless the purpose of the trip is work related. But do note the the birthday at check in. Communication in advance is often without a response. Upgrades are based on status so the lack of status limits the options for upgrades.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:37 pm

If you have status, govt rate will not count against you. The hotels generally provide whatever you qualify for. The decision is independent of the rate that you book

If you do not have status, ask for the upgrade...the worst that can happen is that you will be denied.

Also, when asking for an upgrade, tell the CSR exactly what you are looking for (high floor with view, quiet area, king vs double etc). It will make her life much easier
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Wink wink nudge nudge

If you are otherwise eligible for a status upgrade, being on the government rate does not change that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.