Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > InterContinental Hotels | IHG Rewards Club and Intercontinental Ambassador
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 31, 13, 8:36 am   #1

Exclamation IHG signs up for a US Mastercard

http://www.pymnts.com/news/businessw...20130130005304

Unknown what bank will offer it and when.

Also, could this signal the end of the PC Visa?

See:

Quote:
naming MasterCard as the exclusive co-branded card for IHG’s hotel loyalty rewards consumer credit card portfolio.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Jan 31, 13 at 3:09 pm..
NJUPINTHEAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 13, 11:53 am   #2

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
this could equate to another 80k churn if thru chase
mrredskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 13, 3:26 pm   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrredskin View Post
this could equate to another 80k churn if thru chase
Well, Chase I believe issues the Amtrak M/C so I guess it is possible and I would prefer to have a M/C over a Visa since my wallet is Visa heavy, but I am not at all sure that the new card would repeat the $49 annual fee for the free night, not to mention automatic Platinum elite status in the P/C program.
Old Jan 31, 13, 11:08 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL KM, HH Diamond, IC Amb, Hyatt Diamond, NA EE
I can't imagine this being "exclusive" as they claim. I don't see PC Chase going away.
mnredfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 13, 5:19 am   #5

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I hope it is not Chase. They have too many loyalty cards as it is and as I currently have 4 from them, they won't let me apply for another. Understand that some of these cards were not Chase when I got them and were merged over when Chase bought other banks. I could dump some, but there is no guarantee that Chase would let me get others.
kanerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 13, 8:45 am   #6
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Diners Club

Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
Most of Chase's own branded cards (Slate, Freedom, Sapphire, Ink) are available in both MasterCard and VISA versions. There is no reason IHG would need to split with Chase to move their affinity cards to MasterCard network.
mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 13, 12:16 pm   #7

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Fairmont President's Club
Not obvious to me

Not the sharpest tool in the shed, so I'm going to ask the question. What difference does it matter whether you have a Visa or MC? Aren't they both accepted at the same exact places equally? Does one have better offerings/benefits over the other?

Please enlighten me.
fozziedoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 13, 12:21 pm   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie View Post
Not the sharpest tool in the shed, so I'm going to ask the question. What difference does it matter whether you have a Visa or MC? Aren't they both accepted at the same exact places equally? Does one have better offerings/benefits over the other?

Please enlighten me.
Sometimes there are deals only for MC users and vice vers for Visa users. As I have the Marriott and P/C Visas, I could use a MC of some sort.
Old Feb 1, 13, 12:40 pm   #9

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Fairmont President's Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR View Post
Sometimes there are deals only for MC users and vice vers for Visa users. As I have the Marriott and P/C Visas, I could use a MC of some sort.
Seems as I suspected. Banks partner with either Visa or MC based on their contracted perks/percentage/other, and the consumer must choose that card if they wish to do business with the bank...kind of "take it or leave it" I suppose. I never understood why there just wasn't one or the other since they're basically identical in world-wide acceptance. Doesn't really bother me, I have one of each.
fozziedoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 13, 3:12 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL KM, HH Diamond, IC Amb, Hyatt Diamond, NA EE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanerf View Post
I hope it is not Chase. They have too many loyalty cards as it is and as I currently have 4 from them, they won't let me apply for another. Understand that some of these cards were not Chase when I got them and were merged over when Chase bought other banks. I could dump some, but there is no guarantee that Chase would let me get others.
Rather be Chase than BOA or Citi.
mnredfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 13, 3:10 pm   #11

Programs: UA, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton
No more Chase IHG Visa?

Don't know if it's just me/my computer, but I can't find an app for the Chase IHG visa anywhere. App pages either don't load, or I get redirected to Chase's main CC page. Maybe the card died?
lycidas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 13, 10:24 pm   #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycidas1 View Post
Don't know if it's just me/my computer, but I can't find an app for the Chase IHG visa anywhere. App pages either don't load, or I get redirected to Chase's main CC page. Maybe the card died?
No, it didn't die. However, with the PCR-->IHGRC branding change, some links died.
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg/pcrredemption60k
Old Jul 11, 13, 5:07 am   #13

Programs: Southwest CP US Airways Club Lifetime,Priority Club Platinum,HHonors Gold
I agree

`
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR View Post
I had to get a AA MC just to join in the $50 weekend stay with PCR. It is actually hard to find a MC branded with any travel rewards entity. I only hope they do not increase the fee above $50 as I will probably will ditch the card if they try to increase it to $100 annual fee or more.

I have had my Priority Visa for 5 years now and am very happy if it remains.
sanFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 13, 12:03 pm   #14

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, PCR Plat/Amb
Quote:
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie View Post

Please enlighten me.
Generally, yes, they are both accepted, but there are exceptions. Sam's Club in-store accepts MasterCard (and Discover), not VISA (nor AmEx). And as NJUP said there are MasterCard-specific and VISA-specific deals/coupons/offers.