Search

IHG signs up for a US Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Exclamation IHG signs up for a US Mastercard

http://www.pymnts.com/news/businessw...20130130005304

Unknown what bank will offer it and when.

Also, could this signal the end of the PC Visa?

See:

naming MasterCard as the exclusive co-branded card for IHG’s hotel loyalty rewards consumer credit card portfolio.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Jan 31, 2013 at 3:09 pm
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
this could equate to another 80k churn if thru chase
Old Jan 31, 2013, 3:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrredskin
this could equate to another 80k churn if thru chase
Well, Chase I believe issues the Amtrak M/C so I guess it is possible and I would prefer to have a M/C over a Visa since my wallet is Visa heavy, but I am not at all sure that the new card would repeat the $49 annual fee for the free night, not to mention automatic Platinum elite status in the P/C program.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I can't imagine this being "exclusive" as they claim. I don't see PC Chase going away.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 5:19 am

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I hope it is not Chase. They have too many loyalty cards as it is and as I currently have 4 from them, they won't let me apply for another. Understand that some of these cards were not Chase when I got them and were merged over when Chase bought other banks. I could dump some, but there is no guarantee that Chase would let me get others.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Most of Chase's own branded cards (Slate, Freedom, Sapphire, Ink) are available in both MasterCard and VISA versions. There is no reason IHG would need to split with Chase to move their affinity cards to MasterCard network.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Not obvious to me

Not the sharpest tool in the shed, so I'm going to ask the question. What difference does it matter whether you have a Visa or MC? Aren't they both accepted at the same exact places equally? Does one have better offerings/benefits over the other?

Please enlighten me.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Not the sharpest tool in the shed, so I'm going to ask the question. What difference does it matter whether you have a Visa or MC? Aren't they both accepted at the same exact places equally? Does one have better offerings/benefits over the other?

Please enlighten me.
Sometimes there are deals only for MC users and vice vers for Visa users. As I have the Marriott and P/C Visas, I could use a MC of some sort.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Sometimes there are deals only for MC users and vice vers for Visa users. As I have the Marriott and P/C Visas, I could use a MC of some sort.
Seems as I suspected. Banks partner with either Visa or MC based on their contracted perks/percentage/other, and the consumer must choose that card if they wish to do business with the bank...kind of "take it or leave it" I suppose. I never understood why there just wasn't one or the other since they're basically identical in world-wide acceptance. Doesn't really bother me, I have one of each. ^
Old Feb 1, 2013, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kanerf
I hope it is not Chase. They have too many loyalty cards as it is and as I currently have 4 from them, they won't let me apply for another. Understand that some of these cards were not Chase when I got them and were merged over when Chase bought other banks. I could dump some, but there is no guarantee that Chase would let me get others.
Rather be Chase than BOA or Citi.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton
No more Chase IHG Visa?

Don't know if it's just me/my computer, but I can't find an app for the Chase IHG visa anywhere. App pages either don't load, or I get redirected to Chase's main CC page. Maybe the card died?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lycidas1
Don't know if it's just me/my computer, but I can't find an app for the Chase IHG visa anywhere. App pages either don't load, or I get redirected to Chase's main CC page. Maybe the card died?
No, it didn't die. However, with the PCR-->IHGRC branding change, some links died.
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg/pcrredemption60k
Old Jul 11, 2013, 5:07 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass American Admirals Club Lifetime,IHG Rewards Spire,HHonors Gold
I agree

`
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
I had to get a AA MC just to join in the $50 weekend stay with PCR. It is actually hard to find a MC branded with any travel rewards entity. I only hope they do not increase the fee above $50 as I will probably will ditch the card if they try to increase it to $100 annual fee or more.

I have had my Priority Visa for 5 years now and am very happy if it remains.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, PCR Plat/Amb
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie

Please enlighten me.
Generally, yes, they are both accepted, but there are exceptions. Sam's Club in-store accepts MasterCard (and Discover), not VISA (nor AmEx). And as NJUP said there are MasterCard-specific and VISA-specific deals/coupons/offers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.