Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Which are the most extraordinary Hotels in the Intercontinental chain? [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: quitecontrary
Please enter exceptional hotels here.
So far -
Hong Kong
Marseille
Bali
Saigon
Le Grand Paris
Singapore
Sydney (for the view)
Print Wikipost

Which are the most extraordinary Hotels in the Intercontinental chain? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2009, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DIA, IC RA
Czech Republic : very ugly 70s building, superb location, room recently renovated (some with very nice view), nice lounge and good service.

.[/QUOTE]

Just got back from a 4 night stay at the IC Prague. Very poor hotel, and it has been recently renovated. Entire hotel, above the lobby area had very bad old mildew, mold smell. Smelled very old. Room, I was given "Jr. Suite" two rooms, both very small. very small living room with very dated old furniture, bright green color. New flat tvs, small dinning table took up large part of room, small marble bathroom (very clean). standard tolitries. very small bedroom, not much floor space left after king bed. nice view of water. again room had bad smell same as hallways.

club lounge very small. again two separate rooms, small room with out 7 closely space 2-seat tables, computer station, small kitchen service area with table for 6 and a couch in front of tv. lounge was empty each of the three days, we finally declined to pay for the lounge on the 4th day. food offerings liited and the same each day. one of the worst lounges and hotel experiences I have had recently. we used 3 free night promotion award and paid 210 Euro +tax for the a night. Hotel charged Euro 39 for lounge, reduced to Euro 20 when we complained about the smell. In contrast, we looked at the Four Seasons which was offering 1 night free with 4 3 paid nights, which would have made the rate 221 euro per night + tax. FS may have a slightly better location, maybe, but the building looked great and rooms were very clean, updated and typical luxury. I will not stay at the IC again on either a paid or free night.

Prague is great, however, so go, but forget the IC.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:54 pm

Programs: IHG RA, SPG Plat, United 1K, Avis Chairman
InterContinental Grand Stanford Hong Kong

This hotel was awesome, great service and a great view of the bay. I landed in the evening on the first night and the lobby of the hotel was packed with people singing and having cocktails. I was greeted when I entered and immediatly taken to my room which had a view of the harbor and awesome amenities.

Check it out
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:35 am

i stayed in IC GS too. the room service was really great. i was suffering from food allergy (outside food) and need to order congee that is not in the room service menu. they have it delivered to me within an hour and the quality was one of best i had. but my #1 fav still go to IC Singapore. they go over the top to make sure you are happy with your stay.

jhanserd - did you get the suite upgrade?
Old Oct 27, 2009, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Bora bora, baby!!!! All the way!!! Rooms are phenomenal, location divine. The blues of the waters defy description. A few nights at the Le Mo to do the mainland things, followed by a few nights at the Thalasso for the phenomenal rooms and view.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
BEST ever for me was Bali! WOW WOW WOW make sure you are in Club section. private area of hotel club lounge is the best in the 40 IC i have stayed in and the UPGRADES are amazing.

I also like the IC Sydney, in fact the manager of IC Sydney is now the Manager in Bali.

IC GS HKG is nice stayed there at least 100 night over the past 15 years. but it was not on the list of the OP????

Prauge is
Old Oct 28, 2009, 2:37 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by why fly
BEST ever for me was Bali! WOW WOW WOW make sure you are in Club section. private area of hotel club lounge is the best in the 40 IC i have stayed in and the UPGRADES are amazing.
Another vote for the club at Bali - by far the best IC experiences everytime I've been there.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 6:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Gold
Lets expand this even more

Ok, Bali and French Polynesia look wonderful.

What other IC properties (level 5, 6 and 7) are top notch hotels to rival those? Looks like I am going to use points/cash combination and I want something relaxing, scenic and as beautiful as those the FT replys have already recommended. We can open this up to worldwide locations except middle east and africa locations.

Last edited by SimpleManToo; Oct 28, 2009 at 6:03 pm Reason: Wrote wrong hotel chain name and corrected it
Old Oct 29, 2009, 4:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm nominating the dark horse candidate of the IC Sao Paulo. I was on the executive floor there and had a great experience. Large room with a balcony, wine and fruit in the room, great lounge etc.

The best part though was the staff. They were absurdly helpful and great about arranging dinner for me and my companion. It was also located so we could walk everywhere we wanted to. Frankly, it was the best part of my trip to Sao Paulo.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
IC Budapest, Hungary

Excellent hotel with very good location and superb view. Amb upgrade is usually "river view" don't settle for anything less! Email beforehand for club access (good club with again superb views), you should get it for ca 30-40€/night (rack rate at check-in is 60€ AFAIR) For two it's cheaper than the hotel breakfast (if your room rate is w/o brekkie)
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:49 am

Programs: CSA OK+ Gold, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Accor Club Platinum
Originally Posted by NYCbustravelguy

Just got back from a 4 night stay at the IC Prague. Very poor hotel, and it has been recently renovated. Entire hotel, above the lobby area had very bad old mildew, mold smell. Smelled very old. Room, I was given "Jr. Suite" two rooms, both very small. very small living room with very dated old furniture, bright green color. New flat tvs, small dinning table took up large part of room, small marble bathroom (very clean). standard tolitries. very small bedroom, not much floor space left after king bed. nice view of water. again room had bad smell same as hallways.

club lounge very small. again two separate rooms, small room with out 7 closely space 2-seat tables, computer station, small kitchen service area with table for 6 and a couch in front of tv. lounge was empty each of the three days, we finally declined to pay for the lounge on the 4th day. food offerings liited and the same each day. one of the worst lounges and hotel experiences I have had recently. we used 3 free night promotion award and paid 210 Euro +tax for the a night. Hotel charged Euro 39 for lounge, reduced to Euro 20 when we complained about the smell. In contrast, we looked at the Four Seasons which was offering 1 night free with 4 3 paid nights, which would have made the rate 221 euro per night + tax. FS may have a slightly better location, maybe, but the building looked great and rooms were very clean, updated and typical luxury. I will not stay at the IC again on either a paid or free night.

Prague is great, however, so go, but forget the IC.
I would agree with NYCbustravelguy that the IC is on a steep path downhill, and has been for the last few years when competition in the 5 star class has been deepening. About the furniture: its has an extremely 50s look about it, but it is actually brand new (or let's say two years old). The hotel has been completely renovated after the Moldau floods in summer 2002, the furniture was put in a few years after that, around 2006/7 - and somebody thought it was a good idea to give it a retro look. The rate NYCbustravelguy is quoting is very high - typical entry level rates are around EUR 100 these days.

NYCbustravelguy has a lot of patience with the hotel, I personally would have left on or after day 1 - the chances that mildew smell will disappear after a day seems remote. I personally have never seen any mildew (or smelt it). I never understood the IC Club lounge - or why anyone would pay for it, as there are a lot of Internet cafes around that would serve better fare against very competitive prices (and have a better atmosphere). As an RA NYCbustravelguy would have free access to a very well stocked minibar, as well as have free Internet per the Ambassador promotion, and even EUR 20 seems a lot for some fried cheese, so no need to go there.

FS indeed is nice but basically it could be in any city over the world, nothing very Prague about it, except a few rooms with a nice view over the Moldau and Prague castle - but those are jealously guarded and I wouldn't count on getting those by paying a deeply discounted entry level rate like EUR 221 (actually 884 for four nights, a single night will be EUR 295). The hotel also has been renovated in 2002 after the floods (but it had been open only for a few months before that). Generic FS furniture - but it certainly looks better than the stuff they put in the IC.

Best hotel in Prague is the Mandarin Oriental on the other side of the river. Also not particularly cheap, but fairly new, in a converted monastery.

Last edited by Kvet01; Oct 31, 2009 at 11:12 am
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:20 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I have stayed at the IC Prague a couple of times - the last visit was in April - and have always enjoyed my stays, although I was concerned to read the above comments.

Looking at rates for Spring/early Summer, and no Club room rates? Any ideas?
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm nominating the dark horse candidate of the IC Sao Paulo. I was on the executive floor there and had a great experience. Large room with a balcony, wine and fruit in the room, great lounge
Great lounge ?? some tables by the lift on the club floor - or perhaps something has changed...
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Great lounge ?? some tables by the lift on the club floor - or perhaps something has changed...
I was there nearly four years ago, maybe I don't remember it as well as I think I do...
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by CMK10
I was there nearly four years ago, maybe I don't remember it as well as I think I do...
Strange lounge arrangement it might be - but Iagree with your assessment of the SP IC as first class, and excellent it treating RAs well
Old Dec 5, 2009, 10:02 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Prague IC

... club lounge very small. again two separate rooms, small room with out 7 closely space 2-seat tables, computer station, small kitchen service area with table for 6 and a couch in front of tv. lounge was empty each of the three days, we finally declined to pay for the lounge on the 4th day. food offerings liited and the same each day. one of the worst lounges and hotel experiences I have had recently.... Hotel charged Euro 39 for lounge, reduced to Euro 20 when we complained about the smell.
Although priorityclub.com still does not provide rates for Club rooms, the hotel has confirmed rates that are EUR59 more than non Club rates for classic, deluxe, Executive, junior suite etc This would be for two people.

By the way, breakfast in the restaurant appears to be EUR20 per person.

I have not noticed a smell before and thought the food and drink options satisafactory. We have always managed to get our monies worth......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.