Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Suggestions for Shanghai

Hi all,

I am travelling to Shanghai in early August. I am wondering if anyone has stayed at any of the hotels listed below. I am a PC Plat Amb and am visiting Shanghai for a brief holiday.

Intercontinental Shanghai Expo
Holiday Inn Shanghai Pudong Nanpu
Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund
Intercontinental Shanghai Pudong
Holiday Inn Shanghai Pudong
Crowne Plaza Century Park Shanghai

I'm grateful for any recommendations or comments you may have.

Thanks!
Kate
Old May 28, 2012, 7:48 am

In terms of fanciness IC Puxi is the best. Location isn't suited for everyone.

I've stayed at the IC Pudong. Nice place and decent location.

CP Century Park is near the IC Pudong (about 2 subway stations apart). I've stayed here too. Would pick the IC Pudong.

Obviously I'm assuming you have no budget. If you do. Stay at whatever you can afford. They are a decent properties for their price. Even the $40 HIX around Shanghai are great value for money.
Old May 28, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
That's a strange list of properties you compiled. Why these properties?
- IC Shanghai Pudong is a good location when you do business in Lujiazui. It's, in my opinion, China's weakest IC. Plenty of things to do around the hotel.
- IC Puxi is in a better location (I don't understand the previous posters comments), as it is in walking distance (1.5 km) to Nanjing West Rd.
- Indigo has great views of Pudong and is right on the Bund, walking distance to Bund/Nanjing Rd, 20 mins.
- CP Century Park is far out in Pudong, not suited for a leisure stay unless you intend spending time in the Century Park.
- IC Expo/HI Nanpu are far off, taxi required for sightseeing/dinner
- HI Pudong is in the IC Pudong area.

I recommend the Indigo.
Old May 28, 2012, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

This will be my first time to Shanghai and looking at a map those properties seemed most central and nearest the tourist areas.

Thanks for you comments!
Old May 28, 2012, 8:29 pm

I am only familiar with the three ICs. All offer good value for the money.
If you plan to take public transportation the IC Pudong is best. Next to a subway station with several lines, easy and wuick to get anywhere (including the airports).

The IC Puxi is much nicer and newer, but not as easy for public transportation and not much in the immediate area. But Taxis are cheap.

The Expo IC is (almost) in the middle of nowhere.
Old May 28, 2012, 9:22 pm

Indigo on the Bund! I'd visit Shanghai again just to stay at this hotel. Pay the upgrade fee for a premium bund river view. Well worth the extra cost. Not really near any public transit but taxis are cheap and you're right on the Bund. Check out the reviews and pics ob tripadvisor - they are legit, at least for this hotel!

But are you paying cash or using points? Its not the cheapest option so I guess that has to be factored.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by db1234db1234
Indigo on the Bund! I'd visit Shanghai again just to stay at this hotel. Pay the upgrade fee for a premium bund river view. Well worth the extra cost. Not really near any public transit but taxis are cheap and you're right on the Bund. Check out the reviews and pics ob tripadvisor - they are legit, at least for this hotel!

But are you paying cash or using points? Its not the cheapest option so I guess that has to be factored.
Are you 100% certain about this? I ask because I know a fair amount about SH hotels, and do not think the Indigo is the second best property in town (in terms of quality, location, or value). Don't get me wrong; it's a nice place with great people, but #2 is an extremely high ranking in light of the competition.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I stayed at the IC expo last month. Decent property, nice lounge. Front desk a bit rude. Taxis are cheap. For fun, ride the ferry across the river.
Old May 29, 2012, 8:29 am

Actually typing from the Holiday Inn Shanghai Pudong at the moment. If your focus is touristing you probably want to be somewhere closer to Luzajui or at the Puxi side.

The HISP is not horribly inconvenient, as it's about a 10 minute walk from Line 2 -- which is the main trunk E-W line, and about 5 stops from major tourist areas.

As far as the hotel goes, it's actually one of the nicest Holiday Inn's I've been to. High rise, nicely furnished rooms, business lounge, and a decent view from the rooms.

Ranked #50 in TripAdvisor out of 2711.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...-Shanghai.html
Old May 29, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: SQ
I don't see how a tourist would want to stay in Pudong, unless they came all the way to China to enjoy the malls....

Let's face it - there are plenty of IHG properties in SH, most fairly decent but not really catering to tourists. Of all of them I would say that the Indigo on the (very southern part of the) Bund is the most 'touristic'. If I was a tourist I would either stay here or the IC Puxi, or even the HI Downtown if budget was a concern (good plat recognition). HI Pudong is a good property but Pudong is boring. These are mostly business first properties, and while some have better rooms, they aren't catering to tourists.

Shanghai has a great metro system, and basically everywhere is near a stop. If not taxis are affordable compared to Europe and North America.

Don't trust TripAdvisor.......
Old May 29, 2012, 7:41 pm

Budget concerned should stay at the HIX shanghai zhabei or a non-IHG property.

It is near the IC Puxi. Closer to the subway.
Old May 29, 2012, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Shimon
Budget concerned should stay at the HIX shanghai zhabei or a non-IHG property.

It is near the IC Puxi. Closer to the subway.
I went to meeting at the HIX near the train station last week, and found it be a disaster. Apart from the Indigo, there isn't a single IHG property in this city that comes close to wowing me. In fact, I dare say that the Super 168 across the street from my place is a better hotel than the HIX (at half the price).

For those of you with handsome budgets, I encourage to just pick a nice hotel in a convenient location.

For the rest of you, just try out the 168/Home Inn thing. While none of them are fancy, those guys are good at scoring prime real estate (i.e. in more desirable parts of Puxi than Zhabei or the South Bund).
Old May 29, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
"South Bund" (i.e. Indigo) is in walking distance to both Yuyuan/Yu Garden and Nanjing Road. The area further down from Yuyuan is a worth a walk as well, as it is a pretty untouched area of Shanghai with small houses, narrow alleys and local markets.

In regards to the HIX Zhabei, this is way further away from metro line 1 than the IC Puxi/HI Downtown as you need to cross the trainstation. However, it is closer to lines 3 and 4, which are arguably useless for first time visitors on a tight schedule.

Pudong is underrated, as most people only see Lujiazui area. Further out, life is back and even the area around IC Pudong (where I'm spending the next four weeks at) has plenty to offer apart from office buildings and malls. Arguably, it's far from the tourists spots.

In any case, I am very much trying not to stay in the tourist areas or where the expat concentration is unbearable (Hengshan Lu, Jing'an Si) and IHG certainly caters for that
Old May 29, 2012, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Crowne Plaza Shanghai on Panyu Road is a good/reasonably priced option. The location is in the French Concession and this local is better than any other IHG hotels in Shanghai. It is walking distance to a subway station and you can spend lots of time walking around the French Concession which is the nicest part of Shanghai, with the best restaurants/bars/lounges and boutique shops. Sure it is an older hotel, but as far as value for money it beats any of the other hotels you've mentioned. I've seen rates in the Rmb 500 range at this hotel. If I was staying in Shanghai for a quick holiday this would be my choice.
Old May 29, 2012, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl

Pudong is underrated, as most people only see Lujiazui area. Further out, life is back and even the area around IC Pudong (where I'm spending the next four weeks at) has plenty to offer apart from office buildings and malls. Arguably, it's far from the tourists spots.
I used live over there.... in the single nicest apartment complex that mere mortals can afford, and I DIDN'T like it. It's almost as if that I wasn't in Shanghai.

What's more, I'm 100% certain that travelinmanS and I have the means to convert you into a Jing'an booster; there is so much more to our neighborhood than Malone's and Bamboo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.