Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
FAQs
1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?
2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?
3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?
4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?
5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?
6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?
7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC?

1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?

As of April 2023, there are four different active FNC types. Described below in order from newest to oldest (roughly), they will appear in your account under the following headings:
  • Premier Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC, good for a base room up to 40K points, for the personal Premier card. This FNC is described as “flex” because you can redeem for an award in excess of 40K by adding points on top of the FNC (aka "topping up").
    • Note: points used to top up a Flex FNC are not subject to the 10% rebate for Select cardholders.
  • Business Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC for the IHG Business card. This is identical in all respects to the Premier flex cert.
  • New Cardmember Bonus Free Night: Some recent offers for the personal Premier card have included one or more FNCs in the signup bonus. These FNCs are capped at 40K value; there is no "flex"/"top-up" option.
  • Select Credit Card Anniversary Night: The anniversary FNC for the older Select card, for which Chase stopped accepting applications in 2018. As with the previous category, this FNC type has a hard cap of 40K redemption value.
Depending on how long you have been a Chase IHG cardholder and which cards you've held, your FNC Details page may also display a placeholder section ("0 Anniversary Nights") for two other FNC types that no longer exist:
  • Premier Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to March 24, 2022, the personal Premier card FNC was hard-capped at 40K value. On March 24, all unused FNCs of this type were automatically converted to Premier "flex" FNCs as described above.
  • Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to May 1, 2018, anniversary FNCs for the Select card were uncapped--that is, they could be used at any IHG property.

2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?

After you log into the website, click on the section at the top of the window showing your first name and current point balance. This will take you to the Overview page of the My Account section. Underneath the gray box showing your status level, member number, and points balance you will see a submenu with "Overview" selected. Click on "Rewards Wallet" to go to the page summarizing your FNCs. Click "Details" to see the type(s) of FNC(s) in your account.

You can also go directly to the Details page by logging in and visiting http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en...gmt/freenights (for English-speaking US members).

3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a FNC will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the FNC redeposited manually.

5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).

6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?

No. FNCs are non-transferable.

7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC each year?

Yes. The Select card (legacy), the personal Premier card, and the Premier Business card all include an anniversary FNC as a benefit. But note the difference, discussed above, between the Select card FNC--capped at 40K value--and the "flex" FNCs associated with the other cards. The no-fee Traveler card does not provide a FNC benefit.

In previous years, Chase issued the anniversary FNC shortly before the annual fee was billed. More recently, Chase has begun delaying issuance of FNCs until at least 8 weeks after the annual-fee statement date, presumably to prevent accountholders from canceling their cards while keeping the FNC.

Questions related to the extension of the certificate due to the Coronavirus are discussed in its own thread, which is here.

Print Wikipost

Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by valuetactics
Not particularly. That's why I'm asking those with more experience with IHG and these certs for advice.
FWIW, last year my cert expired around June 8th and I used it for a reservation around July 8th. The phone rep told me as long as I book the free night before the expiration there is no problem.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:16 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by valuetactics
Not particularly. That's why I'm asking those with more experience with IHG and these certs for advice. In your estimation, is there less chance of a problem with the expired (currently booked) night if I leave it alone, or bring it up proactively, to either the hotel or IHG?

Furthermore, in your estimation could my attempt to switch my points night to my current certificate night draw attention to the expired night that otherwise wouldn't be drawn? Or will the expired night be accepted or "discovered" regardless of whether anyone notices it?
There is no way I'd touch that booking. Given that they have merged the expired cert booking with a new booking, to now think they could pick that apart in order to use a new cert booking for the second night means that you will probably end up with the expired cert genuinely expired and unable to be applied. If I were you, I'd be grateful for what I have and leave it be.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:33 pm

Programs: UR, RR, MileagePLus, Dividend Miles (R.I.P), AAdvantage, HHonors, IHG, Skymiles
Originally Posted by Kadence
FWIW, last year my cert expired around June 8th and I used it for a reservation around July 8th. The phone rep told me as long as I book the free night before the expiration there is no problem.
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
There is no way I'd touch that booking. Given that they have merged the expired cert booking with a new booking, to now think they could pick that apart in order to use a new cert booking for the second night means that you will probably end up with the expired cert genuinely expired and unable to be applied. If I were you, I'd be grateful for what I have and leave it be.
Thanks for your input. My gut agrees with SanDiego1k. The only thing left to worry about in that case are the few stories on this thread of expired certs being "discovered" and the full cash value being charged to the card on file, months later. The months later is the part I don't like. I guess I will just keep my current free night in my back pocket in case it came to that. Maybe I'd be able to sweet talk a rep to retroactively apply it. Seems pretty unlikely in any case. I'll just cross my fingers and be content with the deal it appears I currently have.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Fee and taxes for Paris redemption?

Can someone share recent experience with using their free night at either Paris Opera Indigo or IC Le Grand?

Specifically, I wonder what the taxes should be. In USA, it appears I don't have to pay anything... (That was my experience the last few years). However, I think I read somewhere that I may have to pay taxes separately in EU? In that case, am I paying some obscene amount based on rack rate?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by chunky649
Can someone share recent experience with using their free night at either Paris Opera Indigo or IC Le Grand?

Specifically, I wonder what the taxes should be. In USA, it appears I don't have to pay anything... (That was my experience the last few years). However, I think I read somewhere that I may have to pay taxes separately in EU? In that case, am I paying some obscene amount based on rack rate?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28049877-post1540.html
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:18 pm

Used my free night at the IC Ave Marceau in 2015 and paid less than 2 Euros.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Does anyone know if Canada can get an IHG CC?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold

The Paris Indigo just charges the city tax, which is mandatory of all hotel stays, maybe its not called that but its something that you have to pay for every night of any stay, but its only a couple euros. While Ihad some very minor gripes about indigo, it was overall a nice place to stay and I would save the 10k points of IC and stay there again.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Thank you to all 3 for confirming!
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by miadukes
The Paris Indigo just charges the city tax, which is mandatory of all hotel stays, maybe its not called that but its something that you have to pay for every night of any stay, but its only a couple euros. While Ihad some very minor gripes about indigo, it was overall a nice place to stay and I would save the 10k points of IC and stay there again.
Ditto. It was just a few Euros per night. We enjoyed our stay there. The staff was very nice. We split our stay between there and the Hyatt Vendome, and in some ways, liked the Indigo better. I'm sure that's not the reaction of most Flyertalkers though.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:10 am

Anyone else noticing the glitch with the "free" Chase anniversary night award? When you try to search and book, it ends up costing money.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:16 am
YUL

Programs: SPG Gold / IHG Spire / Emerald Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Anyone else noticing the glitch with the "free" Chase anniversary night award? When you try to search and book, it ends up costing money.
I noticed that too. Was looking to book around Times Square for early Sep. Some properties ended up at $50/night, despite showing as Free night earlier.

The Intercontinental Times Sq was still free, so I booked there.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Has anyone used it at Palazzo/Venetian past expiration without issues?
Old May 5, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: IHG AMB/Spire, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I made a booking a few months ago for Le Moana in Bora Bora and used points but I realized I had a free award night certificate. I dont want to cancel/rebook due to the fear of losing the room - would the 800 customer service at IHG be able to refund the 60,000 points and use my free night certificate? It may be a bit more complex because I was able to get 3 nights on one reservation, so I have 1 confirmation # for 3 nights on points, but I want 2 nights on points and 1 night using my reward certificate.

Thoughts?
Old May 6, 2017, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by eggzlot
I made a booking a few months ago for Le Moana in Bora Bora and used points but I realized I had a free award night certificate. I dont want to cancel/rebook due to the fear of losing the room - would the 800 customer service at IHG be able to refund the 60,000 points and use my free night certificate? It may be a bit more complex because I was able to get 3 nights on one reservation, so I have 1 confirmation # for 3 nights on points, but I want 2 nights on points and 1 night using my reward certificate.

Thoughts?
it will go back to the inventory right away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.