Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks / Docklands (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2011, 7:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks / Docklands (Master Thread)

I arrived at 11am after the 80 minute Tube ride in from Heathrow (train change at Green Park to the Jubilee line, 2.7 pounds with Oyster card off peak). This was one of two London properties offering a 2 for 1 rate for my two nights (the other available London property was not going to have Tube access for my departure on Saturday due to scheduled maintenance). I only booked two weeks out so property options were clearly limited for that rate. Hotel is a 5 minute walk from the Canning Town Tube station in Zone 3. It is a 20 minute Tube ride to Westminster station on the Jubilee line. Canary Wharf is along the way and there are restaurants and shops there.

I was assigned a first floor room that was your typical Holiday Inn Express layout with double bed and separate sofabed and a view of the parking lot. There is serious development taking place between the hotel and Tube station, a combination of work on the Tube station and demolition of old buildings on the opposite side of the street. Construction started about 0730 so keep this in mind if you're intending to sleep in.

Breakfast was included and consisted of scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, yogurt, plain or chocolate croissants, apples, sliced tangerines, as well as apple and orange juice and a selection of bagged teas. They were remodeling/painting the ground level so breakfast offerings were in a side room. I expect that will change when the work it completed. There is a large seating area off of the lobby looking out onto the street (not that there's much of anything to look at out here).

The one issue I had with this property was that my prepaid stay was billed in dollars and a 3% surcharge was added. I noticed this on my credit card a week before arrival and they reversed that charge and rebilled in pounds. The credit card entry appears under the parent company name, rather than Holiday Inn Express, and Priority Club VISA did not catch that when posting my credit card points so need to get that fixed (second time this year bonus credit card points did not post due to being billed under a name other than HIX).

The area is within walking distance of the ExCel site which has high rise housing, hotels and restaurants, as well as the ExCel convention center. I walked by the Crowne Plaza which is there and even ventured further down and took some photos of aircraft at London City Airport which is directly across the Thames.

Just one photo here with more linked below.

Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I have just stayed here for 1 night as Iw as attending a concert at the O2 Arena.

The hotel is a short walk from Canning Town tube station (which is 1 stop away from the O2). It is also very close to the Excel Centre and the Emirates Air Line cable car. There is not much else around though as far as I could see and no restaurants apart from a sad looking Italian next door.

The room was clean and the bed comfy, however the bathroom looked a little dated. The breakfast was a bit sad looking and I only had a juice!

It does the job, without any frills and if you are attending a concert at the O2 then location is great.

Regards

aks120

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.