Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Kuala Lumpur (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:38 pm

Location: Australia Cathay Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Platinum VIP, Hyatt Gold Passport, Hertz Gold, PC Platinum, AMEX Centurion
Platinum Member - upgrade at IC KL?

I am only a Platinum member and not Ambassador. Any experience of a free upgrade to Club lounge access? Which room type I need to book in order to get this upgrade?
If not, what benefit will I get in this hotel as a Platinum member?

Thanks

Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by cardiology
I am only a Platinum member and not Ambassador. Any experience of a free upgrade to Club lounge access? Which room type I need to book in order to get this upgrade?
If not, what benefit will I get in this hotel as a Platinum member?

Thanks

If you are not Ambassador, You should not expect to upgrade to the Club.
T&Cs clearly mentioned only Ambassador have the benefit of guarantee upgrade.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:20 am

Location: Australia Cathay Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Platinum VIP, Hyatt Gold Passport, Hertz Gold, PC Platinum, AMEX Centurion
Chance of upgrade to Club lounge access for Platinum (only) member?

Thanks for clarifying. Anyone got free upgrade to Club lounge access as a Platinum member?

Thanks
Old Feb 22, 2015, 1:09 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
I booked the base room as a Platinum Ambassador but got the standard one category upgrade.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, GHA Black
Dont expect an upgrade with Platinum status at Intercontinental Hotels.

ICs are only obliged to provide a 1 cat guaranteed upgrade for its ambassador members (regardless of gold or platinum IHG status)
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:21 am
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Just a question regarding upgrades as amb. If I used a BOGO for a 2 nights stay in a club room. Would I get upgraded to E. Suite for both nights?

Last edited by TheSYDTraveller; Feb 26, 2015 at 5:28 am
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:26 am

Any word on improvements at KL IC under the new GM in general?

Anyone staying who can give an update on facilities service and RA perks etc. Club Lounge seems be going down well from what I hear.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Stay for a week end of January 2015.

The renovated club lounge is great. They will procure special beverages (Kopi/Teh Tarik in a thermos pot) for you. Beverage service as well as made to order food is served by servers only. Other prepared food were self served. The club seem full at evening hours but not at breakfast or afternoon tea. Friendly and attentive staff in club.

I did not have any need to deal directly with the new GM nor the main concierge. All our needs during the stay was taken care of by the concierge and the manager of the Club Intercontinental.

RA are treated with full benefits. Fruits are replenish daily as well as water, mini bar and coffee pods. Booked king premier and was upgraded to Ambassador suite for 6 night stay. Free 3 pieces of garment washed or press daily. 30 minute complimentary massage and 25% off other spa service. Mrs tentseller was getting away from the Canadian winter at poolside, she was offered complementary beverages at the poolside bar when she gave room number for pool towels. The jets of the whirlpool was not working during my stay. The exercise room can use some renovations soon.

Only other issue was there were construction across the side street which I could see from our room but not hear. Somehow we could hear the noise when seat at the window in the Club. Our suite was two floors above the club.

Last edited by tentseller; Mar 25, 2015 at 10:25 pm Reason: Added date of stay to make info relavent
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
Stay for a week end of January 2015.

The renovated club lounge is great. They will procure special beverages (Kopi/Teh Tarik in a thermos pot) for you. Beverage service as well as made to order food is served by servers only. Other prepared food were self served. The club seem full at evening hours but not at breakfast or afternoon tea. Friendly and attentive staff in club.

I did not have any need to deal directly with the new GM nor the main concierge. All our needs during the stay was taken care of by the concierge and the manager of the Club Intercontinental.

RA are treated with full benefits. Fruits are replenish daily as well as water, mini bar and coffee pods. Booked king premier and was upgraded to Ambassador suite for 6 night stay. Free 3 pieces of garment washed or press daily. 30 minute complimentary massage and 25% off other spa service. Mrs tentseller was getting away from the Canadian winter at poolside, she was offered complementary beverages at the poolside bar when she gave room number for pool towels. The jets of the whirlpool was not working during my stay. The exercise room can use some renovations soon.

Only other issue was there were construction across the side street which I could see from our room but not hear. Somehow we could hear the noise when seat at the window in the Club. Our suite was two floors above the club.
Tentseller good evening to you and many thanks for the comprehensive assessment. It sounds like KL is improving. Is a good snapshot for those of us venturing out there and the RA package is improving and indeed the laundry concession is better than a great deal of other locations. Possible to give a quick heads up on the mini bar contents.....sounds a low brow question I know but after 15 hours on the go I still find it quite a blow or motivator when I open that little fridge door
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:58 am

i always stay at holidayinn glenmarie (far from KL) instead
the free internet speed is superb
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:28 am

No upgrade on award stay

I am staying here on a combination of an award and paid stays for four nights. No upgrade as I was partly on award nights. I was given my other Ambassador benefits and two drink tickets. I was offered and took a 100RMB a night upgrade which included breakfast for up to two people , three pieces of laundry and premium internet.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I never redeem there as I'm usually on a business trip and our corp rate is quite competitive, but 100RM (++ ?) is not an unreasonable ask and pretty decent value for what you are getting.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 12:57 am

Programs: Ihg: spire ambassador. Hilton: diamond. Ba: silver
Downgraded

I'm a Spire Ambassador at the KL property now and booked an executive club room and received an email booking confirmation yesterday with an upgrade to an executive suite. At check in I was effectively downgraded and given the club room. Does this happen often?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 4:18 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Uk_sc
I'm a Spire Ambassador at the KL property now and booked an executive club room and received an email booking confirmation yesterday with an upgrade to an executive suite. At check in I was effectively downgraded and given the club room. Does this happen often?
So you are saying you are basically given the room category you booked? This is a paid stay I assume as the Club room can't be booked on points.

Ask for a reason why the mandatory 1-level Ambassador upgrade as per IHG Ambassador program T&Cs has not been given? If they say fully booked or something like that ask for the rate to be adjusted to Grand Premier level so at least you get a proper 1-category upgrade or ask for other goodies that may suit you (free Spa treatments, etc.) - your call. Don't just accept the no upgrade.

If no resolution from Club Manager or so escalate it for sure. Ask for the GM if needed be.

I have to say since the new GM they have not tried to "pull any fast ones" with me and were quite generous with upgrades from basic room to Grand Premier (2-level) or Club (3-level) during my last 4-5 stays. But then they know I will cause a ruckus if they flaunt the rules
Old Jan 8, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: Ihg: spire ambassador. Hilton: diamond. Ba: silver
Originally Posted by demue
So you are saying you are basically given the room category you booked? This is a paid stay I assume as the Club room can't be booked on points.

Ask for a reason why the mandatory 1-level Ambassador upgrade as per IHG Ambassador program T&Cs has not been given? If they say fully booked or something like that ask for the rate to be adjusted to Grand Premier level so at least you get a proper 1-category upgrade or ask for other goodies that may suit you (free Spa treatments, etc.) - your call. Don't just accept the no upgrade.

If no resolution from Club Manager or so escalate it for sure. Ask for the GM if needed be.

I have to say since the new GM they have not tried to "pull any fast ones" with me and were quite generous with upgrades from basic room to Grand Premier (2-level) or Club (3-level) during my last 4-5 stays. But then they know I will cause a ruckus if they flaunt the rules
Thanks demue for your comments and suggestions

It was a paid stay and after the situation was dealt with fairly dismissively by some of the staff I received a call from the club manager and a quick visit from duty manager who offered points and a lunch to make amends. They've also offered to reimburse the difference between the category below so in the end very generous and a good service recovery just a shame I was initially fobbed off...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.