Wiki Posts
Search

Change in Use of BOGO Certificate

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2010, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I can see a new Coupon Connection offering emerging ... 'H: New BOGO W: Old BOGO' !
Old Feb 3, 2010, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Looks like those old certs will be worth a bit more now. I've got a Dec 2010 cert with no new booking requirements.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
- "Noticable", when a single Amb / RA uses more than one within a year...
This is a key question. I received 2 welcome kits this year, one upon buying AMB and one when I became RA. Therefore, I believe I am well within my right to use both.

But, if I stay with my brother, for example, and use his BOGO but booked on my account for my RA privileges... what happens?

The other question is, are people still receiving the old ones right now? Or have any BOGOs been updated with new T&Cs.

It takes IC a long time to implement changes...

Last edited by Surgee; Feb 4, 2010 at 7:50 am
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:26 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
How do you pull up these rates and/or book a reservation at these new rates?
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fsa_ea
How do you pull up these rates and/or book a reservation at these new rates?
The easiest way to search if you want to use the much better "old" interface is via:
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/...rateCode=IBAMB
On the rate page you are looking for "Ambassador Certificate".

http://intercontinental.com/AMBWeekend jumps you to
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/interco...ferences=IBAMB which uses the awful new IC booking interface.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by awpeters
This is a key question. [...]
I wouldn't overate this point. Although they may subsequently be able to keep track which AMB uses which specific certificate (they should be able to do this now), there is neither a rule prohibiting using two certificates (in other words, a specific BOGO is bound to specific AMB), nor trading (not with money though) certificates...
However, T&C can certainly be changed.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:11 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by soitgoes
The easiest way to search if you want to use the much better "old" interface is via:
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/...rateCode=IBAMB
On the rate page you are looking for "Ambassador Certificate".

http://intercontinental.com/AMBWeekend jumps you to
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/interco...ferences=IBAMB which uses the awful new IC booking interface.
Thank you. Glad to know that I'm not the only one who prefers the old interface. I dread the day its gone!
Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:52 am
uk1
Suspended

This can only be bad news.

The first stage will be transparency with uncontentious rates and reasonable availibilty to lull us into a false sense of security.

But then the whole idea of this is to take control away from the customer and give it back to IC. They can mess with the rates, availiblity, add-ons etc. They are clearly already precluding using it for suites.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1
This can only be bad news.
Yes. I see no upside.

I just received a new renewal voucher. At first I was annoyed that it was only valid 11 months. Now I am happy it is the "old" kind (well, 2nd generation--no suites, but any openly available rate is allowed).
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
........ Although they may subsequently be able to keep track which AMB uses which specific certificate (they should be able to do this now), there is neither a rule prohibiting using two certificates (in other words, a specific BOGO is bound to specific AMB), nor trading (not with money though) certificates...
However, T&C can certainly be changed.
Chinatrvl, the Priority Club T&C's have always stated that BOGO's are not transferrable:

"Complimentary Weekend Night Certificate: .....Certificates are valid only for the member who has InterContinental Ambassador status, and are not transferable...."

The new certificates are even more restrictive:

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/interco...ferences=IBAMB

mxm135
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:31 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by MXM135
Chinatrvl, the Priority Club T&C's have always stated that BOGO's are not transferrable:

"Complimentary Weekend Night Certificate: .....Certificates are valid only for the member who has InterContinental Ambassador status, and are not transferable...."

The new certificates are even more restrictive:

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/interco...ferences=IBAMB

mxm135
Ooops, apologies I didn't know until now and happily ignored that the last couple of years.

Sale or barter of the Certificate will render it void
... oh dear.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

This is certainly not a welcome change, and although I'm not too worried about IC's ability to detect multiple BOGO use, I do worry that this change may lead us onto a path that will eventually bring "electronic" BOGOs (which will truly mean one use per year).
Old Feb 3, 2010, 3:06 pm
uk1
Suspended

A further potential restriction will be the release of inventory only when they are certain it can't be sold. Obviously as most are used for leisure which is often planned way in advance this will cause some hurt.

You wonder what the next little idea to reduce the attractiveness will be.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpdx
This is certainly not a welcome change, and although I'm not too worried about IC's ability to detect multiple BOGO use, I do worry that this change may lead us onto a path that will eventually bring "electronic" BOGOs (which will truly mean one use per year).
I was thinking this as well, but did not want to give them any ideas.....

This is bad news from IC and not welcome.

It does say "limit one per stay" though not yet "limit one per year"
Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:20 pm

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Originally Posted by awpeters
I was thinking this as well, but did not want to give them any ideas.....

This is bad news from IC and not welcome.

It does say "limit one per stay" though not yet "limit one per year"
With the BOGO certificate having a 1-year validity, the limit "one per stay" is probably to cover situations where an Ambassador/RA member has 2 valid certificates issued by IHG:

1 - member gets their Ambassador kit and later during the same membership year is upgraded to Royal Ambassador status

2 - receiving early renewal of Ambassador or RA membership kit before old certificate expires

3 - Ambassador Services issues replacement BOGO certificate for expiring BOGO

In any case, the change is probably due to complaints from IC owners regarding BOGO usage and this is IHG's way of recovering some additional revenue for them. Good thing for them, not so good thing for members.

mxm135

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.