Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What just changed for Ambassadors ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
What just changed for Ambassadors ?

What's just changed for Ambassador members ?
I'm currently IHG Plat and am contemplating getting Ambassador status due to a couple of upcoming stays at ICs in Thailand and probably in Vietnam too.
Can anyone explain how these changes effect the benefits I would/could have got prior vs post this change ?

I usually pay for the lower-end catagories of rooms.
I am also particularly interested in the IC Danang Sun Resort and how these changes effect how I'd be treated there if I had Amb & Plat vs just IHG Plat.

Poor timing it seems :-(
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Not that I have looked into the changes in much depth, but thought most of the changes were around titghtening up rules around upgrades (more exclusions related to suites).

All the other benefits were still there. If you typically book a base room, I wouldn't have thought there were many changes that would affect you.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:55 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
What's just changed for Ambassador members ?
I'm currently IHG Plat and am contemplating getting Ambassador status due to a couple of upcoming stays at ICs in Thailand and probably in Vietnam too.
Can anyone explain how these changes effect the benefits I would/could have got prior vs post this change ?

I usually pay for the lower-end catagories of rooms.
I am also particularly interested in the IC Danang Sun Resort and how these changes effect how I'd be treated there if I had Amb & Plat vs just IHG Plat.

Poor timing it seems :-(

No real difference to Ambassador just 2x areas. Anouncement was of more interest to RA's regards AMEA (excluding greater China) changes

1)Restated IC Club Lounge access is not given foc to Ambassadors
2)As note more suite exclusions added. Won't affect Ambassador who doesn't book a low level suite
If booking a suite an Ambassador may find no further upgrade due to exclusion list
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:59 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
The big changes:
- Officially no entitlement to lounge access even if you are upgraded to club floor rooms
- The exceptions to the suite upgrade has increased significantly.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by Alawyer
The big changes:
- Officially no entitlement to lounge access even if you are upgraded to club floor rooms
- The exceptions to the suite upgrade has increased significantly.
Thanks for the helpful & concise replies everyone.
Shame about the lounge access, that would be a big perk at the IC Danang :-(
Looks like the $200 Ambassador fee would only really be for the free night certificate.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:40 am
Original Poster

I did get upgraded to a nice suite at the HI Sukhumvit 11 as just a Plat. Was well chuffed.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:04 pm

[QUOTE=Sisyphus1carus;27242447
Looks like the $200 Ambassador fee would only really be for the free night certificate.[/QUOTE]

Watch out, the AMBWeekend rate often is higher than the regular rate, savings are greatly overrated.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Watch out, the AMBWeekend rate often is higher than the regular rate, savings are greatly overrated.
It works best for suites I find.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat Amb
I saw above that lounge doesn't come with your room even if upgraded to club level? If that is the one level, next room rate shown on the reservation website, you still don't get the lounge? I'm staying in San Francisco next weekend and I've booked the room rate right below club, so I was thinking that's likely what I'll get. I have in the past (I know things have changed though) booked below club at other properties and gotten club and the lounge access that comes with that.
If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be interested, but I suppose I'll find out next weekend too. I'll report back.
I wonder if this will still be the your mileage may vary deal, depending on the hotel and such.
The only time I paid for the lounge was in Hong Kong, but that was worth it - to me - just for the experience. Quite pricey, but so well done.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Here are the new Ambassador T&Cs issued on September 1, 2016:

https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...rms-conditions

If upgraded to a club room, club access will only be given to members with Royal Ambassador status. That is a requirement of the program, otherwise, lounge access does not come with a room upgrade to Club room.

If the hotel wishes to grant this access, it is totally discretionary and there is no entitlement except as noted above, unless you actually pay for a club room with lounge access.

mxm135
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:08 am

No lounge. Upsell at SFO for 50 USD.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
That's a bit of a cheek.
Just checked the IC Danang and yeah, it's $50 more for the amb rate (basic room). Naughty I think.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
That's a bit of a cheek.
Just checked the IC Danang and yeah, it's $50 more for the amb rate (basic room). Naughty I think.
The Ambassador Weekend Rate (AWR) is usually equal to the 'Best Flexible Rate (BFR)' at the time of booking. It is not the 'Best Available Rate (BAR).

Personally, I have never encountered an AWR greater than the BFR at any of the ICs that I have stayed at, including the Le Grand Paris, the Amstel, IC Bangkok, IC Sydney (Macquarrie), IC Williard, IC Clement (Monterey) or IC Century City (Los Angeles).

I have always considered that I have received value for the price I paid.

mxm135
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by MXM135
The Ambassador Weekend Rate (AWR) is usually equal to the 'Best Flexible Rate (BFR)' at the time of booking. It is not the 'Best Available Rate (BAR).

Personally, I have never encountered an AWR greater than the BFR at any of the ICs that I have stayed at, including the Le Grand Paris, the Amstel, IC Bangkok, IC Sydney (Macquarrie), IC Williard, IC Clement (Monterey) or IC Century City (Los Angeles).

I have always considered that I have received value for the price I paid.

mxm135
I've had the opposite experience. The AWR has always been higher than the BFR. I generally use my BOGO in Chicago, but have had the same experience in Cleveland.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Yep, no lounge as others had stated. I get that it is not a benefit, but seems odd in the situation where there is a distinct room rate that has club and you book up to just before that, you don't get club included in a room you would otherwise (if you just booked that room rate). I get no free lounge on its own, but not when that happens to be your one level next room available. Probably be more straightforward if they just charged everyone except RAs. Doesn't matter what I think of course, good to know what to expect though. I won't book up to that any longer. I did see one case where the next level with club was a suite, so I guess you can still get something in some cases.

Thanks for helping me understand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.