Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Double base points via Headforpoints

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Double base points via Headforpoints

I'm an avid reader of a blog called Headforpoints - and they've got something on there I've not seen mentioned yet.

Double base points if you book via their link. From a quick look it seems to be the same rates for the hotel I usually use (HI Reading West), but the 5000 point package isn't available. As a result it's a net loss, so I won't be using it, but it may be worthwhile for others.

Disclaimer: I've no connection to the blog other than being a regular reader!

http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/06...your-bookings/
Old Jun 1, 2016, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
This is interesting. It appears at first sight that both, the Corporate Code (for your corporate rate) and the IATA code (used inter alia for cash-back purposes) do work together with that link. Don't know how they track it, but it is certainly worth a try.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:15 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
You will lose the cashback for double points.
If the cash back rate is 10 -11 % as right now
for $100 you will earn 1000 extra points and you will lose $11 in cashback
If you dont count that for $100 there will be tax and you will not even earn 1000 base points probably more like 850 - 900 points.

If the cashback rate is less then 6% maybe will make sense.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
This is interesting. It appears at first sight that both, the Corporate Code (for your corporate rate) and the IATA code (used inter alia for cash-back purposes) do work together with that link. Don't know how they track it, but it is certainly worth a try.
The bonus points are manually added by IHG. If they don't post I am happy to give you the direct email of the person responsible!
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:46 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Raffles
The bonus points are manually added by IHG. If they don't post I am happy to give you the direct email of the person responsible!
Hey Raffles, can you confirm that if we use Ebates or other (cashback option) will we be able to get double points and the cashback?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lewis42
Hey Raffles, can you confirm that if we use Ebates or other (cashback option) will we be able to get double points and the cashback?
No you won't.

You have to click directly from this page:

http://www.headforpoints.com/double-...s-club-points/

to the special HFP ihg.com booking page.

Any bookings which do not originate at HFP will not be given double points. There is a manual check on this as part of the (manual) process of allocating the bonus points.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
No you won't.

Any bookings which do not originate at HFP will not be given double points. There is a manual check on this as part of the (manual) process of allocating the bonus points.
Well, i do not need to go via a special cashback site to receive cashback at IHG. It works via the IATA code and going via the HFP page does from what I see not alter the IATA code.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: SQ S, IHG Diamond/Amb, Accor S
Thanks a lot for posting this. I have rebooked my next few stays. I hope it will indeed work. As it may take up to 28 days for the double points to post I guess I need to be patient
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks Raffles, nice one. Will give it a try. One day late for my current stay, bit one can't have it all. As long as corp codes will work with your link I'm good.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Well, i do not need to go via a special cashback site to receive cashback at IHG. It works via the IATA code and going via the HFP page does from what I see not alter the IATA code.
Ok, let me rephrase. Any booking where a commission has been paid out to anyone except me will not be validated
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
No you won't.

i want to book a higher category suite from inventory the property doesn't make available online.

i've had this issue with cash back sites previously.

so i have requested the property retain the original confirmation number, and just drop the booking with revised room and rate into that original booking.

i've been able to resolve any issues with the cashback sites previously with that method, but they do have a condition, that if you change the room type or booking, then no deal, that they cld rely on to refuse payment.

do you know if i make the booking via the link, and request the hotel retain that confirmation number, and drop the booking into the confirmation number, all will be good? wld it be possible to check?

here is nothing tricky about it, but the inventory i'm booking is controlled by the Sales & Marketing Dept, and they don't make it available online.

appreciate your thoughts.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't speak for IHG but as the confirmation is the same it should just update with the higher rate when the stay is validated and therefore should, stress should, be OK to my mind.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
At first I thought "wow! HfP has really hit the big time. A great deal with a major hotel chain".

Then I realised that IHG are back on the cashback sites like Quidco, so you'd be giving up 11% in cash to get 7% in points (assuming 0.7 cent P+C/cancel trick). And that requires the manual process to run properly.

Kudos to both Raffles and IHG for coming up with something a bit different, but it's still just affiliate marketing which we all know has its pros and cons for the end user.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
when i first saw this thread yesterday, i had a look at cashbackaholic to see how it compared and could only find 7% on Befrugal, one i've never used previously.

i thought that being roughly equivalent to the 10 points, was maybe the max IHG were offering currently.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
when i first saw this thread yesterday, i had a look at cashbackaholic to see how it compared and could only find 7% on Befrugal, one i've never used previously.

i thought that being roughly equivalent to the 10 points, was maybe the max IHG were offering currently.
It is somewhat curious that HfP is a UK-based blog and we have Quidco offering 11% cashback so perhaps the double points offer is not the best deal for us.

Outside the UK, cashback offers might be less lucrative so this deal might actually drive non-UK readers to HfP to book IHG hotels. Good for Raffles, maybe not quite what IHG has in mind...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.