Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to keep HI Club timeshare pitch brief? 2 hr "tour" today

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Today at 10:30am eastern time, wife and I must endure a 2 hour tour at the Holiday Inn Orange Lake timeshare property on 192 near Disney. Since we travel free on miles and points and rarely pay for lodging:

1. What are some things to say and do, politely if possible--less so if pitch process is extremely aggressive like I imagine it may be--to indicate early, clearly, and decisively we're here only for the promo. And that hell freezing over would be more likely than us buying a timeshare.

I know the most common tactics sales people use from reading Cialdini's excellent book Influence. But I don't know countermeasures where I am required to endure a 2 hour pitch to get the "gift" as they call it.

Like telemarketers I am sympathetic that these are human beings. Some sleazy some not. So I don't want to be mean in the process of letting them understand clearly and early that "no" really means just that. And that it would save all concerned for them to do the minimum required so we can get our gift and leave.

2. Are they likely to do a hard credit pull? If so can I prevent them by asking up front not to? Have had a lot of those in past 12 months and want to save for new cc apps.

Mostly concerned about wife. While she hates timeshares too, she tends to leave things open and to be too polite and self-disclosing--so when they get shallow affect and monosyllabic answers from me I suspect they will focus on her.

Example: if I get a telemarketing call I quickly interrupt their script reading, say please put me on your do not call list, say enjoy your day, and then say slowly and politely, just to let you know I am hanging up the phone now, bye. And hit End Call on my cell phone. Wife will let person speak through the first portion of the script, then eventually say not interested. But often saying "not now but maybe some other time". Wrong answer, painful for me to hear, but she says she is only being polite. While I am a nice and compassionate guy, they called me unsolicited and are wasting time I value highly. So at least I don't "slam down the phone." I will however end call if I answer and there is a slight moment of silence indicating a sales pitch is coming.

They require my wife to attend with me today. And both of us are real People Persons. How do we dial that way down and get out as soon as possible? Or if full two hours are required to say things that will indicate we are lousy prospects and near zero probability of a sale. But without being mean or snarky? Never been to one of these before. But we love and are loyal with IHG. Not exclusively of course. But are proudly both platinum elites.

Any advice will help. Sorry in advance for extremely short lead time.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:22 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Just say as little as possible, don't ask any questions and decline any offers.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:52 am
Suspended

I'd say I am only there to fulfill your requirement for the promotion and don't have any intention of signing up as you have run the numbers and your travel style and it makes no sense for you.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Fake hillbilly teeth, and lack of showers for a few days usually work. Extra points if you show up with an old, stained, Walmart tote bag.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
I'd say I am only there to fulfill your requirement for the promotion and don't have any intention of signing up as you have run the numbers and your travel style and it makes no sense for you.
Thanks to all. Driving out to property now. If you can think of any other good tactics, please post. Will check thread while waiting for tour to begin.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Whah, you are brave ^ man! Just keep it low.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:38 am

Thousands of International travelers, particularly from the US and Canada, have fallen victims of timeshare fraud while vacationing. Resort developers hire skilled salesmen to represent their timeshares as many different attractive packages, such as financial investments, deeded properties, or vacation clubs, just to increase their sales.

Note by Moderator
Link deleted out of post
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:40 am

Fake a heart attack.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You may be required to attend, but you are not required to say anything at all whatever the questions are

Make a statement such as suggested above about not being interested and then just say nothing further at all ; a sales person cannot do much to influence if a person will not answer any questions
Old Jan 24, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum

Did the timeshare- 2 hour presentation, interview questions about your vacation lifestyle, and talk on how wonderful their timeshares are. After 2 hours, they talk about price $41,000 for the timeshare plus $1200 maintenance per year giving you 200,000 points per year, after you say no several times, they bring in their manager who offers you a smaller $17,000 package with 140,000 points per year, after you say no several times, then they bring one last salesperson in to offer you a $1499 package giving you the opportunity to return any time within 2 years for another presentation with $400 incentives and a 7 day stay. After you say no several times you finally get directed to the next room where a representative has you sign off and you collect your inventive.

Bottom line if they ask why: You have researched that timeshares do not dramatically increase in value over the years while real estate does, so you will invest you money in a property instead.

Let us know how it goes.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:14 pm

What I found works well: if you need to 'qualify' for a free stay or something else answer these questions. After you qualified stop asking, stop arguing, just listen and then tell them very firm: you are not interested, you came only for xxxx.
Don't open any doors for them to start a discussion. Don't say that it is too expensive / bad location / .... - they have answers for all of that and that will only extend your misery.
Just keep repeating: i will never buy, i just came here for... - the faster you get me out of here the sooner you can talk to somebody who potentially will buy.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold
So how did it go?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:41 am

Programs: QF WP - LTG, VA Plat, HH D, IHG Plat, Rydges Black, GHA Black
Originally Posted by RDB68
So how did it go?

Yes, I'm wondering too.
Hope he didn't give in .
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:53 am

Have your bank manager call you about how all your checks are bouncing, your credit cards are maxed out, and your stock portfolio are now worthless. All while insisting you are very interested in the first deal they offer you.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:03 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Thanks to all. Driving out to property now. If you can think of any other good tactics, please post. Will check thread while waiting for tour to begin.
And? How did it go? Without any feedback I have to assume that you caved in and bought one or two timeshares...

HTB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.