Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Muscat / Oman - Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Does anyone know if the IC Muscat honours RA privileges on award stays? Key elements are, of course, free minibar, room upgrade etc. Thanks
Old Feb 26, 2011, 6:03 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
IC Muscat

I stayed there last week for a couple of nights.

A dated looking building - 33 years old - but in good condition. We had a Club junior suite or something along those lines, which was basically two normal sized bedrooms, one of which was used as a living room. Two full bathrooms as a result.

Sea and pool view, which was nice. Nicely lanscaped garden with access to beach.

Staff mostly friendly and efficient.

Small Club lounge but reasonable snacks and breakfast. We ate breakfast once in the main restaurant as we were given the choice.

I would return.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 6:13 pm
Community Director Emerita

It appears that we are down to the IC Oman. What are current thoughts about the property?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It appears that we are down to the IC Oman. What are current thoughts about the property?
Stayed there last January - as an Amb got Exec Seaview room, very nice. I like this hotel, good pool area, practically own beach (public beach but just have to step out the pool area to reach it). The hotel is rather expensive, but that's Oman for you...

Also got use of all facilities after the 1600 checkout (flight after midnight)

(if you are thinking about the HI Muscat, just forget it very quickly, horrible place. The CP Muscat has some nice reviews, but never stayed there myself)

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Jun 17, 2011 at 4:38 am
Old Jun 17, 2011, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
(if you are thinking about the HI Muscat, just forget it very quickly, horrible place. The CP Muscat has some nice reviews, but never stayed there myself)
The HI in is long gone. It was in the oddest of locations, but won my affection by giving me a bottle of whiskey as (I guess) my PC gift

The CP is certainly OK, but the rate differential usually makes the IC a no-brainer (at least for RAs).
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
IC near in Shati Al Qurum has a nice bar / restaurant attached with some live music (and nice singers) on some nights.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I stayed at the IC in Muscat in February.

Although a little dated (80s), it was in a nice beach side location, great pool and garden and comfortable Club Lounge.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by PhilH
Does anyone know if the IC Muscat honours RA privileges on award stays? Key elements are, of course, free minibar, room upgrade etc. Thanks
I am also curious about this.

Also, is there a car rental company in the hotel? If so, which company?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I am also curious about this.

Also, is there a car rental company in the hotel? If so, which company?
There's certainly an Avis office on the (lower) ground floor. I'm sure the travel agency on the same level can also handle car rentals.

As for upgrades you are likely to be offered an ocean-view room or suite. The club is not too large, perhaps one reason they don't fall over themselves to give away access.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:41 am

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Spire, HHonors Diamond, EK Gold
I have stayed twice on points (one of which was on a PointsBreak long ago) and had full RA benefits on both occasions, including the usual RA gift of a truly ghastly bottle of red wine and some local soaps. Booked three rooms on last stay as had in-laws in tow and all of us were offered club access, which was a pleasant surprise.

Agree that it is somewhat dated but I always enjoy staying there. Completely irrationally, and much to my wife's chagrin, I actual prefer it to the Shangri-La (which is a far superior property) which is the only other property I routinely have points to burn at in Muscat.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:29 pm

The Interconti in Muscat was built in the 70s with the atrium design so popular at the time. We were given a suite facing the water. It was two standard rooms with the connecting doors unlocked. One side was set up as the living room and the other as the bedroom. They had identical bathrooms and both had minibars. I am a Royal Ambassador and was on an award stay. I was appreciative of them honoring all RA benefits on an award stay. We got the staff to trade out the wine for a bowl of dates.

I was offered lounge access for 35 OMR++/day (roughly $120 incl tax and service) for two. I took it for a 24 window, as I arrived too late on day one and left too early on day 3 to benefit. I felt this was good value as we were allowed the buffet breakfast which otherwise would have been 22 OMR for the two of us. The lounge is small but adequate. There were small food offerings any time we were there. After breakfast, there was a nice range of Arab sweets including Omani halwah (which I didn't like, but was told was a must to try). There were small tea sandwiches over lunch. We didn't stop in during the afternoon, but returned for their evening offerings, given between 7 to 9pm. There was a good mushroom soup, spring rolls, delicious lamb patties, sushi, raw vegetables, bread, and some small pastries.

The London Royal Philharmonic was there, as they gave the inaugural concert at the beautiful new Royal Opera House. It is steps away from the hotel.

A taxi to the hotel was 7OMR.

Unlike the UAE where most hotel workers are international, staff all appeared to be local. The concierge was particularly hardworking on some car rental issues that we had.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i posted this is the cp thread as well....still deciding whether to stay here or at the cp for an upcoming stay later this month....price is not an issue, i'm just looking for a better property....any suggestions would help....
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:10 am

Just returned from a three night weekend stay at this property a week ago. As others have said], the rooms are in need of updating but Ambassadors are treated extremely well here.

A new Doubletree is under construction next-door and not due to finish till sometime in 2017 so if you go be sure to request a room away from the side where the construction is taking place (we did and didn't hear any noise).

As others have said, the club lounge is small but we never found it crowded at cocktail hour. However for breakfast we much preferred the downstairs terrace restaurant for its truly impressive buffet (American/European, Indian and Arab selections) and the opportunity to sit outside during the cooler months. The concierge in the lounge was very helpful.

A couple of suggestions if you do visit:

--Walk to the Royal Opera House (10 minutes away). It's impressive and the tour takes only 15-20 minutes. Performances range from concerts to opera to silent movies with live organ accompaniment. None were scheduled the week we were there due to a national holiday but we otherwise would have considered going.

--If you like Trader Vic's, the one in the hotel (technically a separate building but you can sign to your room) is a good one. Very good mai thais and all the main dishes the chain is known for. Full of locals the night we were there; won an award as one of Muscat's best restaurants in 2015.

--Worth a visit is a small street next to the hotel filled with shops, cafes and restaurants but not visible unless you know it's there. As you leave the hotel on foot and reach the end of the driveway where you turn left to go to the Opera House, instead turn right and go half a block and you'll see it on your right (water side). Of note for souvenir hunters is an Omani crafts shop (better than the one inside the hotel) and a branch of Bateel, which is the Godiva Chocolate of dates and has beautifully packaged dates in all sizes, which can make nice gifts.

--If the idea of trying Omani food appeals to you--and there are surprisingly few such options in Muscat--ask the hotel to direct you to Ubhar Bistro. It's near the Opera House so you can walk to it in less than 10 minutes. Reasonably priced for either lunch or dinner and if you go don't miss the frankincense ice cream. (Caution: there's also an Omani restaurant right next door to the Opera House but that's not the one I mean. That one is high-end and charges 4 or 5 times what Ubhar Bistro does for the same dishes.)

When we checked in the duty manager told us that a major renovation of the property is under discussion, no doubt prompted by the pending competition next door. Until then this is the best value among the handful of five star options in Muscat.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:04 am
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
I am a Paltinum Ambassador and just stayed here for 3 nights using 3 free nights I had saved and had to use by 12/31/2015. It was amazing! A lovely lady named Alicia gave us an upgrade to a large beautiful room executive king room on the 3rd floor with a beautiful view of the water. We were also given lounge access and were told we could either have breakfast in the lounge or in the restaurant. We chose the restaurant and it is a jaw dropping buffet! Needless to say we REALLY put on the feedbag. They delivered a beautiful large fruit basket with a large bottle of wine, and about an hour a lovely gift if a small box of dates stuffed with walnuts. They were delicious. Also, I was given 1,000 points as a gift , and that had NOTHING to do with the promotion that is now going on. Middle Eastern hospitality at it's finest going on here!
The lounge is very nice, has a lovely afternoon tea that has a great spread, and then from 6-8pm there is horderves and drinks and trust me it is so much more then horderves. Again, think Middle Eastern hospitality!
The service at the hotel is sublime, and it is beautifully decorated for Christmas. There is live piano music in the lobby lounge in the evening, cosy
tables and chairs for having a drink and enjoying the music and decorations, an all in all very pleasant atmosphere. Every employee is TOP NOTCH! Housekeeping is amazing, and as in most Middle Easten hotels in is young guys who clean the rooms. They are fantastic. I tip and leave chocolate on a daily basis at whatever hotel I stay at and the extras the housekeepers leave because of that are very touching. They must really appreciate the tips and candy. All in all a very memorable stay that I would love to do in the future. Thank you to ALL the staff there!

Last edited by mav; Dec 21, 2015 at 5:42 am Reason: add info
Old May 9, 2016, 5:47 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Any updates on e.g. the construction site next door? Is noise pollution to be expected?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.