Print Wikipost

Holiday Inn Portsmouth (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Holiday Inn Portsmouth (Master Thread)

When planning the trip that I am on a the moment, hotel option in this area were a little limited. We had elected to stay at some no chain, small guest houses which have been great, but I still wanted to make the most of some of my benefits that I have with IC and earn some points too, to offset the ones that I have spent on the trip.

So, we selected a Holiday Inn in Portsmouth, NH. It is a great location, near the I95 and Route 1, so very easy to access and find. Close to the road, but good windows so no noise really. I thought that it had been completely refurbished, but whilst dealing with an incident that I will detail below, it turns out that only the public areas and floor 5, the floor we were on, had been refurbished, and not in a very good way either. The rooms them self were OK, but the corridor was awful. I don't know who selected the colour scheme, but red and purple, with brown carpet really is not a great look...

However, the very minimal staff were helpful and assisted whenever it was required, and boy did I require them...

First night we were there, we had had a long drive from Provincetown at the end of Cape Cod, all the way up past Boston, stopping for some outlet shopping and then on to Portsmouth. So, after heading into town for some dinner, back to the hotel to turn in for the night. As we got ready for bed, I started to untuck and pull back the covers of my bed as I can't stand the sheets and quilt being tucked in all around the bed. As I pulled back the top sheet, I saw what I thought was a long burn mark on the quilt. I took a second closer look and was then hit with a smell... It was not a burn mark, it was a long smear of human "poop"... I was horrified.

I called down to reception straight away and the lady said she would be up shortly. She was vastly apologetic and said sorry for taking so long to get up to the room, but she was the only staff member on duty. Now, bearing in mind that this is a hotel with 130 rooms, she was the only person working? And she was correct. She changed the bed, said sorry a million times and told me to speak with the manager in the morning, she would leave details, and he would be able to sort out something to say sorry. So, in the morning when I did go down, we were offered apologies again as well as free breakfast which was fine with me.

However, he confirmed that the owners of the hotel have cut the staff back so far that there is often only one person working, especially late at night and in the morning. Obviously there are housekeeping staff and bar/restaurant staff, but anything else is all done by one person. Apparently, the property is owned by the same people who own the HI in Portland, Maine. Which has come in for quite some stick in the past...

So, a great hotel, comfortable beds, great staff, few of them as there were, and a great for driving holidays in the area.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:43 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Bumping this up to report on the one-night stay I had here this past weekend. I booked two king rooms; one with points and one with the AAA rate. I found the rate to be very favorable to the rates at the Marriott and Hilton properties closer to downtown.

I was very happy with the front desk agent I spoke with a few days ahead of my arrival and happened to be working when I checked in. In short, I needed to request feather-free bedding and room assignments that were reasonably close together. Both items were taken care of without issue; we were assigned rooms on the 4th floor. By comparison, I had a stay at the Hyatt House in Hartford, CT a few weeks earlier with the same requests and the property flubbed them so badly that my entire stay was comped. I'll also note that I have basic IHG status and top tier with Hyatt.

I was very happy with the size and comfort of the room. The room has a medium sized dorm fridge and a tiny microwave along with a K-Cup coffee maker. There was a little wear and tear in the bathroom, but nothing serious. We did notice some noise from adjacent rooms and thumping from the heavy stepping people in the room above. I believe the property has only one elevator; it was a little crowded during the morning breakfast/checkout rush. No issues with the free parking.

As stated above, the location is right off the local highway and close to I-95. It was about a five minute drive into downtown Portsmouth. I'll echo the comment that this is a fine choice for the area from a price performance perspective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.