Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crowne Plaza Jerusalem (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2005, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Crowne Plaza Jerusalem (Master Thread)

Just left this property after three nights. Quite a disappointing experience, and as I had booked an Advanced Payment rate for the nights, I was not able to check-out early and move to the Hilton where my Gold status would have been honoured.

Earlier in my trip, I had book a night at the CP in Tel Aviv and as a PC Plat received a very nice corner room on the club floor, with access to the Club lounge. This on a 3-Day Advance Payment rate, and with no need to ask to be upgraded. Received a bottle of water and nice box of maccaroons as well.

Based on that positive experience, I had expected a similar reception at the Jerusalem CP. Imagine my surprise when I asked if this was a Club Floor room, and if I would have access to the Club Lounge. I was told I was upgraded to an Executive room, but that accee to the Club Lounge would be another US$20 per night. I tried to explain that as a PC Plat, I was entitled to a Club Floor room and free access to the Lounge, just as I had received in Tel Aviv.

The clerk insisted I was only entitled to an Executive room and that's what she had given me. Well, I went to my room and found it rather ordinary, though it did have a both robe, which I guess made it an Executive room. However, on the elevator, the top 9 floors are demarcated as "Executive Floors" with the top floor showing the Executive Club Lounge location. I took the T&C booklet [which we all must travel with] and showed the clerk the highlighted area which clearly states PC Plats are to be upgraded to the Club levels at CPs [and Executive rooms at HIs]. She continued to insist I did get an Executive room -- even after I pointed out these were on the top nine floors and not my 8th floor -- and that I would still have to pay for using the Club.

As I wanted to head out an see some sights, she took a photocopy of the page of the T&C showing the upgrades elites were entitled to, and would check with the manager while I was out. When I returned, there was another clerk at the desk and he insisted I got what I was entitled to. In the meantime, I had noticed that this CP used to be an HI. So it became clear to me, they still see themselves as an HI and would only give me the PC Plat benefit offered at HIs, i.e. an Executive room, not a room on the Executive Floor or access to the Executive Club. No matter what the CP terms showed. He insisted they don't follow the T&Cs and make their own.

Resigned to the fact I was getting nowhere, I decided to write a note to the Manager asking for a statement from him, in writing, about the hotel's policy and why they do not comply with the PC Plat T&Cs. Well, I am still waiting to get the letter. [In the meantime, I intend to write this up and send my concerns to Steve Sickel at IC Loyalty Programs and to the GM of the CP Hotels Group, and see what they respond with.]

The hotel was pretty empty -- suffering the overall decline in tourism experienced by Israel for several years -- and it is not likely many guests were even using the Club Lounge [though there were lots of guests at the one in Tel Aviv, and at the IC David when I stayed there for the weekend having booked a Club level room, using my 2nd Wkend night certificate]. Had they put it that way, I would have understood. Afterall, opening the Lounge for one upgraded guest would have been unreasonable.

In the end, I found some promotional vouchers on the back of a newspaper, which provided me with a NIS200 credit for "other expenses", so I had a few meals and pints in the restaurant, and did better than what I would have eaten in the Club Lounge. So in the end, I did get something.

This property aspires to be a CP, but really is still an HI. The TV in my room was a miserable 19-inch SANYO with a broken remote and one that did not even have step tuning -- each channel had to be entered to change them -- and while it was nicely finished otherwise, it was not up to the standards one would expect of a CP over a good HI.

I will do a review of the three IC properties I stayed at on a thread already going.

But just want to warn folks about this property, and would invite comments as to my expecting too much, or reacting appropriately.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 9:27 am

Programs: FB Gold; PC Plat.
I have had the exact same experience at the CP in Amman (which used to be a Forum hotel) and at several other properties, in fact.

I should do like you and argue, but usually on business trips I am just plain too tired and I very much resent the unpleasantness of having to fight for something that should be my "right" as stated in the terms and conditions. Do let us know what follow-up was given to your letter. I used to leave feed-back on the PC website, but I am not sure that it makes a difference as far as hotels respecting the terms of the program.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 9:38 am
Suspended

There is NO Hilton in Jerusalem. a matter of fact the CP was orginally built as The Jerusalem Hilton many yrs ago. I dont recall it being a HI ever, and has been a CP for many many yrs.

The only other US chain hotels in Jerusalem are The Renaissance, not far from the CP which is nothing great and The Sheraton which is also nothing great to write home about.

The davids Citadel was built as The Hilton but after a couple of yrs and not complying to Hiltons wishes on a number of things, the owners simply left Hilton. The other loss was The Hyatt Regency up on Mt Scopus is now simply The Rengency with nothing to do with with Hyatt any longer as is the case at Ein Bokek (Dead Sea) The Hyatt Regency there is also just The Regency.

Keep in mind that almost all business not govt related takes place in Tel Aviv or its surrounding cities. If its a Class hotel in Jeru that you want the 2 Big ones are The Davids Citadel (New Old Hilton) and down the block from that The King David. Some will add the Inbal (Old Larrome) to the list, I keep the list to the 1st two. The problem is no Points or free nights at any of these 3 since they arent part of any US Chain.
So if its a free stay one is after we are caught with the CP, Ren, or Sheraton all 3 really basic Hotels that do not go out of their way to impress you, its as if they are doing you a favor allowing to stay by them whether its a paid stay or a free one. then again that way you'll feel at home in Israel. TelAviv hotels do a much finer job in Welcoming the people who will be staying by them and I at least felt appreciated even thou the only times I stay in TA is when the airlines were putting me up as part of the bump.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by craz
. If its a Class hotel in Jeru that you want the 2 Big ones are The Davids Citadel (New Old Hilton) and down the block from that The King David. Some will add the Inbal (Old Larrome) to the list, I keep the list to the 1st two.
The American Colony is wonderful and part of Relais et Chateaux.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 10:25 am
Suspended

the problem with The American Colony is that its Located in Arab East Jerusalem. I wont say its the safest area to be in. While the others in my post are in West Jerusalem and considered a much safer place to stay.
Most of the deginataries and newspeople who come to cover special events usually stay at the 3 hotels I mentioned with most usually staying at either Davids Citadel or The King David.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by craz
the problem with The American Colony is that its Located in Arab East Jerusalem. I wont say its the safest area to be in. While the others in my post are in West Jerusalem and considered a much safer place to stay.
Most of the deginataries and newspeople who come to cover special events usually stay at the 3 hotels I mentioned with most usually staying at either Davids Citadel or The King David.
I would like to reassure you - the area where the American Colony is located is perfectly safe and pleasant. Many officials from the Governement of Canada use the place or the Ambassador Hotel a couple of steps away. A drink in the garden at the American Colony is a must for anybody visiting Jerusalem.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 12:33 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

A View From an observer

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Just left this property after three nights. Quite a disappointing experience, and as I had booked an Advanced Payment rate for the nights, I was not able to check-out early and move to the Hilton where my Gold status would have been honoured.

Earlier in my trip, I had book a night at the CP in Tel Aviv and as a PC Plat received a very nice corner room on the club floor, with access to the Club lounge. This on a 3-Day Advance Payment rate, and with no need to ask to be upgraded. Received a bottle of water and nice box of maccaroons as well.

Based on that positive experience, I had expected a similar reception at the Jerusalem CP. Imagine my surprise when I asked if this was a Club Floor room, and if I would have access to the Club Lounge. I was told I was upgraded to an Executive room, but that accee to the Club Lounge would be another US$20 per night. I tried to explain that as a PC Plat, I was entitled to a Club Floor room and free access to the Lounge, just as I had received in Tel Aviv.

The clerk insisted I was only entitled to an Executive room and that's what she had given me. Well, I went to my room and found it rather ordinary, though it did have a both robe, which I guess made it an Executive room. However, on the elevator, the top 9 floors are demarcated as "Executive Floors" with the top floor showing the Executive Club Lounge location. I took the T&C booklet [which we all must travel with] and showed the clerk the highlighted area which clearly states PC Plats are to be upgraded to the Club levels at CPs [and Executive rooms at HIs]. She continued to insist I did get an Executive room -- even after I pointed out these were on the top nine floors and not my 8th floor -- and that I would still have to pay for using the Club.

As I wanted to head out an see some sights, she took a photocopy of the page of the T&C showing the upgrades elites were entitled to, and would check with the manager while I was out. When I returned, there was another clerk at the desk and he insisted I got what I was entitled to. In the meantime, I had noticed that this CP used to be an HI. So it became clear to me, they still see themselves as an HI and would only give me the PC Plat benefit offered at HIs, i.e. an Executive room, not a room on the Executive Floor or access to the Executive Club. No matter what the CP terms showed. He insisted they don't follow the T&Cs and make their own.

Resigned to the fact I was getting nowhere, I decided to write a note to the Manager asking for a statement from him, in writing, about the hotel's policy and why they do not comply with the PC Plat T&Cs. Well, I am still waiting to get the letter. [In the meantime, I intend to write this up and send my concerns to Steve Sickel at IC Loyalty Programs and to the GM of the CP Hotels Group, and see what they respond with.]

The hotel was pretty empty -- suffering the overall decline in tourism experienced by Israel for several years -- and it is not likely many guests were even using the Club Lounge [though there were lots of guests at the one in Tel Aviv, and at the IC David when I stayed there for the weekend having booked a Club level room, using my 2nd Wkend night certificate]. Had they put it that way, I would have understood. Afterall, opening the Lounge for one upgraded guest would have been unreasonable.

In the end, I found some promotional vouchers on the back of a newspaper, which provided me with a NIS200 credit for "other expenses", so I had a few meals and pints in the restaurant, and did better than what I would have eaten in the Club Lounge. So in the end, I did get something.

This property aspires to be a CP, but really is still an HI. The TV in my room was a miserable 19-inch SANYO with a broken remote and one that did not even have step tuning -- each channel had to be entered to change them -- and while it was nicely finished otherwise, it was not up to the standards one would expect of a CP over a good HI.

I will do a review of the three IC properties I stayed at on a thread already going.

But just want to warn folks about this property, and would invite comments as to my expecting too much, or reacting appropriately.
Shareholder
I am very sorry to hear about yout treatment at the above mentioned property.
You absolutely deserve a response to the problems you have encountered.
They are very fortunate to have your business and you deserve better priority & treatment for your exceptional loyalty to PC and IHG
Inconsistent properties are no doubt one of the things that are hurting the InterContinental Hotel group's brands and their ability to compete more effectively.IMO they have the most promise of any hotel group and program in the world.
I believe their biggest problem is getting their global affiliates to see things in the true loyalty perspective and the long term value in it.

There is a need of much stronger compliancy within all their hotels to execute some kind of meaningful upgrade and amenity benefits.Especially Platinums!
This is where it gets very tricky.........I don't believe the benefits are very defined or really exist at the property levels to any degree when compared to Hyatt,Hilton and Starwood who have very oiled benefits systemwide.

Private conversations with a number of hotel managers candidly told me "we do absolutely nothing for elite guests" Yet some admitted "we did at one time and decided to put a stop to it" What are/were they thinking ???
They believe somehow you will come no matter what just because you receive points. It is a mistaken thought process and very poor logic.
In my meeting they also went on to say at one InterContinental property regarding Platinums
NO BREAKFAST<NO UPGRADE TO CLUB FLOOR AND NO ACCESS TO CLUB LOUNGE.No matter what the elite status level is and or the numer of nights you are loyal to the brand.
When I asked what in the world they would do for very good customers ?
To my disbelief they replied "we would give them a high floor/low and bedding preference.I wish I was making this up.
I'll be kind here I know what I wanted to say but did not want to appear rude

Priorty club is a very nice program but it is being hurt by a lack of cooperation and coordination between the program itself and some of it's hotels.
I am a growing fan of the Priority Club program and the basic infrastructure.
However until the day that translates fully to the experience at the hotel level it will never be a truly meaningful program or a demand destination group of properties.
Their aim should be to get me to take my business away from the majors.
It it is barely warm at present.Though oddly their marketing is going resaonably well.They also have a very impressive budget to work with.

It is a shame because the good folks at Priority Club have done such a wonderful job along the way of improving the big picture year by year with the PC program itself and the website
With that said the most important jobs stated above needs to be their # 1 (pardon the pun) PRIORITY!!!! I hope to see them overcome these obstacles as I could see myself becoming a very good customer of theirs in the future
Good luck

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 6, 2005 at 12:36 pm
Old Feb 6, 2005, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Thanks for the additional notes about Jerusalem hotels. And I quite agree that my choice was made for program connection and convenience [a 5-minute walk to the bus station] for the purpose of this compressed 3-day first-time, off-season tourist visit.

I did have the impression that the CP was at one time the Hilton, as the Executive Floor notation in the elevators used the Hilton International typeface as found throughout the system. As for also being a Holiday Inn, that is how it was identified on one on the tourism map the hotel gave me. My reasons for thinking there was still a Hilton in the city was that same tourism map I received that had one marked not too far from the Sheraton, closer to the Old City.

The CP was also convenient for my daily tour route walks, out to Mt Hertzel area one day, down to the Knesset/Israel Museum/Bibleland another, and over to the Old City on the third. On the walk over to Mt. Hertzel, I noticed the Renaissance and Raddison, and Park Plaza. And on the walk to the Old City yesterday, passed by the Sheraton and King David ["the" classic J hotel, along with the American Colony]. I had hoped to at least visit the American Colony for a drink yesterday, but the wind and rain were a bit too intense, so I decided against a walk through East Jerusalem to get there after my visit to the Rockefeller Museum.

I think the hotel industry in the city is very depressed and though I was there in the off-season, things have not recovered generally so those huge hotels that used to get filled with tour groups to balance off local and business guests are virtually empty.

BTW, forgot to mention there was an effort at a Plat benefit: a package of dates and a 500-ml bottle of water. And the small lobby cafe/bar -- the main restaurants were both closed -- did turn out an excellent St. Peter's Fish breaded in almunds on a bed of leek/mashed potatoes, braised in lemon butter, not to mention a fine Mediterranean tomato soup and chocolate mousse.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 1:11 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Thanks for the follow-up

I should mention that the interviews I had with the IHG hotels were with properties in North America.Not International to be clear. I have protected their names for their own privacy at present
Also IMO only I believe a bottle of water is hardly a Platinum amenity.It should be one of a numer of things you should receive as Platinum.Some hotels give me many bottles of Luxury brand bottled water in addition to wine,points and or miles or other very nice choice.Perhaps the dates qualifies as something but it is not enough. At the Conrad in Brussels I got a large box of Fresh Godivas with tall glass bottles of Evian. At the Park Hyatt in Philadelphia wine plus chocolate covered strawberries dressed in Tuxedos.Those are amenities. At another hotel they offered me 500 miles or twenty other choices. Those are real welcoming amenities !
It is also sad in a property that needs good word of mouth to lead hopefully to their full recovery that they would do anything less then welcome you with open arms and a royal welcome Plat VIP to the property .
Especially if they are slow !!! I admire you for going on with your travel plans myself in an area that still has concerns.I have always wanted to visit in the last number of years.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Meriem,
That the Canadians stay there for some reason doesnt surprise me in the least, as I would expect the French to the same.
US officals when staying in Jeru can be found at either The Davids Citadel or King David. Clintons people liked the Inbal(Larrome).
I am Very familiar with the location of the AC and wouldnt want to walk around over there and take the wrong turn. The US East Jeru Consulate is not far away. Again I dont know of any Israeli Jeru Hotels that I would think twice about walking around the area where its located. I would Not stroll around the area of the AC. You feel safe so be it, I dont. ( there are 3 Israeli Hotels now located on Road 1 in Jeru which is not far from the AC area but isnt within the local streets and can be enetered off of Road1, unlike the AC where you are on the local streets of East Jeru- I havent stayed at any of those 3 hotels and dont forsee myself staying at them either).
Old Feb 7, 2005, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Slightly off topic:

Two years ago they let me into the club room at the top of this hotel just by flashing my Priority Club Gold card. It has one of the better views over all of Jerusalem, which does not have many tall buildings.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Jerusalem Crown Plaza

I just completed a two day points stay here.

Got upgraded to a nice room with a King size bed and decent balcony on the 18th floor. Box of killer chocolates and a glass bottle of water.

TV worked fine, numerous channels - 3 free movie channels (the HOT brand - no, not dirty, thats the brand name) as did the AC. Shower had great pressure. Small fridge was adequate for soda, some bread, etc.

Hotel immediate area is nice, right across the seat of hte goovernment. The view was absolutely great, facing Mt. Scopus.

I was frankly afraid after reading the reviews here, but thought I would add my report as well. All in all, not a bad stay.

Oh, and just to comment on an earlier post, I would not stay at the American Colony.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 1:04 pm

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Arrive there tomorrow Thumper. Hope I have similar experience as you, cos they have consistently let me down before, and this is their last chance. My previous stays were just not worth it... not even for the PC points !
Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H
My previous stays were just not worth it... not even for the PC points !
I'd say particularly so given 25K PC points is not cheap. Considering the Sheraton goes for 4K SPG points per weekday night, 3K on weekends as a Category 2 property. (With normal earnings ratio between the programs of 3:1, that's still 10K in PC points terms, or about a HIX stay.)

BTW, there is nothing wrong with the rooms, views or location...just the way they treat elites. I quite liked the decor which featured photos and the story of a different neighbourhood of the city in the elevator lobby of each floor. And my view was equally fine and provided me with some good photo of the cityscape and video footage.

Good luck with your stay, AisleSeatH.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ICH Ambassador, HH Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, UA Premier, AA, Marriott Bonvoy
In a month I'll be at the CP Jerusalem for the first time. Any recent opinions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.