Wiki Posts
Search

No ETA for Canada - BA flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: have a BA amex card
No ETA for Canada - BA flight

No ETA approval and due to fly to Canada imminently.

Booked BA Amex reward flight 241 - Am I right in thinking I can cancel up to 24 hours before flight and get Points, voucher and taxes back minus £35 fee per person.

Only other option I can think of is trying to change outbound flight to USA then travelling by train into Canada as seems you only need an ETA if you are flying in.

Have tried sending enquiry to ICC but get a pretty standard generated response back saying in queue to be assessed don't make any travel arrangements - I did put travel date in original application but this seems to have no baring on how quickly they look at it.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Yes you can cancel avios flights up to 24 hours before.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Just before canceling confirm with an agent that your the total avios being return and how much you will get back after fees. I got burned once but that was on a domestic BA ticket.

Do you qualify for or have an ESTA? What part of Canada are you trying to get to as some are good by train and others are a long long long ride with hours spent at the border.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: have a BA amex card
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Just before canceling confirm with an agent that your the total avios being return and how much you will get back after fees. I got burned once but that was on a domestic BA ticket.

Do you qualify for or have an ESTA? What part of Canada are you trying to get to as some are good by train and others are a long long long ride with hours spent at the border.
I have a visa for USA so all ok there, Winnipeg so I guess Chicago closest but haven't looked into poss alternate routes yet only the idea of a train across the border
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
If cancelling/rerouting the avios booking is too expensive or not possible, you could buy a 1 way from Winnipeg to the USA and transit in Canada.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by reclusive46
Yes you can cancel avios flights up to 24 hours before.
Note that you may have to call to cancel at such short notice, and depending on where your account is registered, you may find that there is no way to call at T-24.

Learned the hard way some years ago.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow the redirect as we send this to the BA forum, since this is involving a BA issued award ticket.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:02 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Was your Canadian ETA online application denied?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by newwithnoclue
I have a visa for USA so all ok there, Winnipeg so I guess Chicago closest but haven't looked into poss alternate routes yet only the idea of a train across the border
there's no train to Winnipeg from the US (only trains through Winnipeg are the Canadian and the Churchill) and Chicago is very far (about 20 hours drive).

One solution is to go to Minneapoils and there is a bus that takes you to Winnipeg from there. (About 4 hours).

another could also be to fly to Buffalo/Seattle, cross the border there and take a domestic flight, however both of those borders are busy but they have Canadian airports near.

If you have any questions about the area or getting there feel free to pm me, I know it quite well
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by englisha
If cancelling/rerouting the avios booking is too expensive or not possible, you could buy a 1 way from Winnipeg to the USA and transit in Canada.
you still need an eta for this
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aidy
you still need an eta for this
Seems you are right, with only 2 noticeable exceptions (which are probably not the case here)

"Travellers whose planes refuel in Canada going to and from the United States,, do not need to have an eTA or a visa to transit Canada" or if you are from a TWOV (Transit without visa) country

source : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen....asp?qnum=1092

Last edited by englisha; Jun 29, 2017 at 3:40 am
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Isn't it fairly easy and quick to get an ETA? I've never tried since I have a Canadian passport.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Isn't it fairly easy and quick to get an ETA? I've never tried since I have a Canadian passport.

Yes it is but it appears the OPs application was 'declined' for some reason.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: FT
I have read stories about a new rule that where a person is a permanent resident of Canada, they can no longer apply for an ETA as a tourist and many have shown up and tried to do an on the spot ETA and then find out they are a PR and must show their PR card and some don't have it and have relinquished PR on the spot.

http://vancouversun.com/opinion/colu...migrant-status
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Once you find your way past the plethora of fakes (sorry, 'agencies offering assistance') that a google for 'ETA' turns up it's pretty straightforward and quick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.